Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • So I got the scales out earlier today…
  • grtdkad

My Scott HT was hanging up in the garage without wheels – and was noticably light when I picked it up. So out came the scales… 12lbs! So then I weighed the wheels … 9.2lbs WTF!

Time to rethink – obviously potential for tangible weight savings. I have a Stans Crest ZTR on the front and a Crossmax XL with an SLX cassette on the rear.
    There’s a pair of Rocket Rons on there at the moment (cant recall which model) and a pair of hefty OnOne tubes IIRC.

Continental super light tubes anyone?

dobo
    Free Member

seems daft not to run them tubeless, should work just fine with Rons

althepal

Lighter cassette and tubeless must be the way to go!

grtdkad

Yeah, only I get fed up with the frantic pumping and CO2 cartridge faff. I may give it another go…

dobo
    Free Member

coincidentally, i have a crest on the rear and a crossmax xl on the front after i destroyed my front crest..
    How come you have odd wheels?

grtdkad

How come you have odd wheels?

I just have a few bikes and a selection of wheels…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Make yourself the ghetto tubeless inflator, works a treat.

nickjb
    Free Member

Is tubeless lighter than a lightweight tube?

br
    Free Member

QR’s?

A Ti one is half the weight of a Shimano/Hope etc.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Probably not a huge amount in it with a really lightweight tube, though weight isn’t the main benefit.

deadkenny
    Free Member

21lbs for bike and wheels is not bad really. I’d be happy with that even with heavy wheels.

Tubeless weight saving only really occurs if using tubeless ready tyres (or not officially ready), but even then the amount of sealant you may need might balance it out to same as tubes. UST tyres will add a fair bit of weight though.

But yes, the main benefit isn’t the weight.

grtdkad

Yeah DK don’t get me wrong I love my bike. I just hadn’t appreciated the 9lb wheels v 12lbs for everything else which in my mind means an opportunity to shed more weight (relatively) cheaply!

I’ve just raided the garage and come out with different tyres and a dozen tubes (out come the scales again) 😕

grtdkad

New tubes from NextDayTyres … 95g each end, result!?

http://www.nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/SCHWALBE-INNER-TUBE-MTB-26/31/402

njee20
    Free Member

Tubeless will almost certainly add less than 95g per wheel, and will work better.

grtdkad

Probably right njee – I just hate the tubeless faff and additional bulk of the tyre itself.

I’m happier with a ~500g tyre and a ~100g tube than a ***t of a job getting a tubeless tyre to seat properly.

njee20
    Free Member

Use your existing tyres – Schwalbe work really well.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I scoop of Stans is about 60g I reckon. Put my tubeless Hans Dampfs on using a track pump last weekend. It was a previously used one and it seated despite having holes it needed to reseal while reseating it! Didn’t take long, but probably not wise to do them in the kitchen with sealant going everywhere.

kayak23

Your whole bike is around 21 lbs?
    My Mega is 34.8!
    Man up? 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘So I got the scales out earlier today…’ is closed to new replies.