Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • So I cut my lawn…
  • Kryton57

Hmmm.

Well, last year I left it too long and it being damp meant I nearly ripped it all out with the mower.  I’m doomed to cutting on a weekly basis now aren’t I…

drnosh
    Free Member

#Sharpen Blade

juanking

Twice weekly and not too short.
    Plus what he said ^^^^.

jam-bo

Done mine twice already this year.

scaredypants

Assumed this was a new bike thread 🙁

submarined
    Free Member

Thoroughly disappointing lack of expected race track image. *Flounces*

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Tried out my new Blaupunkt mower this week, tis awesome but the blade will need regular sharpening regularly. Build quality seems better than my old Bosch which lasted years.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I trimmed my bush.

Kryton57

Sorry to be dull.  It can be a contentious topic at this time of year.   If it livens things up a little, I can tell you I did the edges with hand shears as I forgot to replace the strimmer string that ran out last year.

whitestone
    Free Member

Did ours for the third time today. Last Friday they got done twice: once to get the top off, then some time to let the undergrowth dry out before dropping the level one notch and doing it again. Today was a further notch down.

Gunz
    Free Member

I’m stuck ay work for a further four days and my Wife just tole me she did the lawn yesterday. Happy man, lawns are a total distraction from anything worthwhile.

fossy

Done mine a couple of times now. Already got the weed and feed down.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Strimmed mine back 3 times already this year.

Won’t get the mower out until after Easter break, if that’s any consolation 🤷‍♂️🌞

onehundredthidiot

I’m away for a few days I’m hoping Stan the gardener will have done it by the time I get home.

Merak

I scarified mine at the weekend I cannot describe how satisfying it is. I’m on the lookout for a roller too.

So we can play pétanque.

andy4d

On my 3rd cut now. Scarified it too after the third cut last week. Already looking better for it. Need to give it a feed soon but know i will just have to cut it more often if i do so holding off for now.

mattbee

Twice a week? Jesus! Lucky if mine gets done twice a month.

CountZero

Mine hasn’t been cut since sometime last year, but quite a lot of it is moss, and I’ve got more and more cowslips popping up so I don’t want to chop those off. I’ve even got an Oxslip flowering, but as those seem to be restricted to one place in East Anglia, one is probably a False Oxslip, a cross between a cowslip and a primrose.
    It doesn’t grow very much anyway, and any excuse not to have to cut it is one I will happily embrace!
    Oxslip…

Oxslip with cowslips for comparison…

I’ve also got snowdrops starting to grow in the ‘lawn’, such as it is.

johndoh
    Free Member

Twice here too – a gentle trim last weekend and a closer cut yesterday. Paying for it to be fed / weed killed as it has got in a bit of a mess over the last two years.

funkmasterp

I parked the car on mine last week. I can think of nothing worse than mowing a lawn. It’s like having to vac the outside of your house only worse.

burko73

Did mine over the weekend. Very long and even after the sunshine very damp. Must have emptied th3 grass box once every strip!

Mower is dying, wheels are falling off due to rusty deck etc.
    I’ve toyed with a mulching mower. Any good? Got a fair sized garden so needs to be petrol.

pondo

I started mulching last year, largely because emptying the box more than doubles the time it takes and is much more of a PITA. Much more likely to mow weekly if it only takes half an hour. 🙂

What’s scarifing? And where’s good for rollers?

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Since moving to a house with a garden two years ago cutting the grass has become one of my favourite jobs and a genuine simple pleasure.

It has only needed one cut this year but I’m buying a new mower this weekend and it will be ready for a second cut.

BillMC

Once you’ve done it get some iron sulphate on to it, kills the winter moss, makes the grass greener, slightly acidifies the soil, doesn’t accelerate grass growth and is cheap.

mjsmke

Already cut mine. Scarified it all. Then cut it again.

johndoh
    Free Member

What’s scarifing?

A rotating drum with tines on it that comb through the grass pulling out moss. It is a most satisfying experience.

yetidave
    Free Member

It is a most satisfying experience.

unless its windy

andybrad

after killing all the moss last year and getting through 2 boxes of grass seed.

cut it on sunday and it is now moss again.

hooli

Sad as it is, I really like cutting my grass. I did mine Sunday evening ready for the rain this week.

karn
    Free Member

My Robot lawnmower has been out for the last month or so. cuts the lawn twice a week while I’m doing other stuff.
    I haven’t had to cut my lawn for 2 years and I have to say, the lawn has never looked so good 🙂

grantyboy
    Free Member

I need a new lawn mower for about 60m2 of a back lawn and 20m2 at the front. What’s good?

mjsmke

What’s scarifing?

A really good workout if you do it by hand. I use to but it took 3 days, so I bought a cheap electric one from screwfix which is awesome!

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^ I got a cheaperer one from Freecycle. It was a bit faulty (the deadman’s switch wasn’t working properly) so I just bypassed it with an inline two-pin connector. Health and safety? Nah.

Richie_B

Done mine twice already this year.

You have already equalled how many times I cut ours last year

brakes
    Free Member

I fear we have reached peak 2019 early with this thread.

pondo

Ace, thanks! * browses Amazon for scarifiers, rollers , iron sulphate and grass food * 🙂

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Can someone tell me more about scarifiers. Our lawn is mostly moss after the previous owners didn’t look after it for a year or so.

whitestone
    Free Member

Scarifiers basically scrape away moss and death thatch which is the remains of last year’s growth. Doing this, scarifying, is just one thing you need to do if you have lots of moss.

Moss forms when the soil is continually heavily damp and compacted. What you need to do in this instance is use an aerator – basically a set of hollow tubes that lift plugs of soil out of the lawn, brush in sand in to the holes so formed, spread combined moss killer and lawn feed then a couple of weeks later scarify to remove the dead moss.

You can hire aerators – unless you have a huge lawn it’s not worth owning one – but if you’ve a small lawn then you can get the same effect by using a garden fork: stand on fork; wiggle back and forth a couple of times to make a hole then move on a few inches and repeat, another good workout.

colp

The thing about scarifying is getting rid of the moss and thatch afterwards. The stuff is like an IKEA mattress, expands to 5000 times its original size.

davosaurusrex

Mine has had one long cut a few weeks back, since sharpened the blade and then did it after work on Friday. My word it was satisfying. Did it with a beer in the sunshine, proper rock and roll.

The edging can do one though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘So I cut my lawn…’ is closed to new replies.