Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • So I bought a pressure cooker
  • jon1973
    Free Member

…so just christening it tonight with a gammon joint but I want to get a bit more adventurous. Love our slow cooker, which has always been my go-to place for comfort food. Would love to hear your recipes. I’m getting hungry.

dannybgoode

Instant pot here (pressure cooker basically). Spag Bol and chilli are both brilliant in it 🙂

petec
    Free Member

dal (dhal? dahl?)

anyway, lentils/beans/whatever

fry a couple of onions, bung in spice and potato chunks, bung in tin of tomatoes, bung in beans, pressure cook for 10-15 mins (depending on beans)

lunch for a week.

Pyro

I mainly use our instant pot (digital pressure cooker) for doing rice. It’s not a fancy recipe, but it monumentally takes the faff out of simple cooking rice for me.
    Rinse the rice well, put the same volume of rice and water in the pot, 4mins in the rice setting them leave to settle/depressurise for 10mins, and hey presto, perfect rice.

simon_g

https://myheartbeets.com/ for plenty of good Indian instant pot recipes.

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/instant-pot-butternut-squash-soup/ is one of my favourite soups.

Revelation this year has been how good they are for soft boiled eggs. Bit of water in the bottom, eggs on a rack above, 3 mins manual setting and release the pressure straight away. Shells come off with no effort and beautiful soft yolks inside. Ace.

RustyNissanPrairie

Bookmarked as MrsRNP asked for a ‘pressure cooker’ for xmas and I was imagining the one my mum had with precariously balanced weights and steam jetting out like a Chernobyl reactor.

kormoran
    Free Member

Madame Kormoran here, I bought an instant pot to cook chick peas etc easily and stop buying tins. Its great for that and any rice or grain especially risotto. Big bonus is using the yogurt setting to prove bread dough, always the same temperature so sourdough goes like clockwork and turns out great every time. Also good for lamb shanks and pulled pork type dishes. Must be a more energy efficient way to cook than my gas cooker so reduces my carbon footprint. I have a small kitchen and don’t buy gadgets but the instant pot has earned its space on the counter top.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Looked in to see if this was a putoline thread…

granny_ring

Thanks OP.
    That brings up memories of some not nice dinners in the 70s 🙂

NJA

Lamb Stew with Pearl Barley is the greatest thing in the world when done in a pressure cooker. Super easy to do – Diced Lamb, onions, tomato puree, pearl barley your choice of root veggies, some herbs, salt & pepper and a couple of stock cubes. Pop it all in the pot and cook.

You can thank me later.

franksinatra

Opened thread in hope of reading about explosion in kitchen.

Is disappoint.

freeagent
    Free Member

Bookmarked as MrsRNP asked for a ‘pressure cooker’ for xmas and I was imagining the one my mum had with precariously balanced weights and steam jetting out like a Chernobyl reactor.

Hahaha! that is exactly what i was thinking.. my Mum had one which was lethal..

yetidave
    Free Member

I remember watching my mum clean the kitchen ceiling before we got fed one evening. Don’t remember what happened to the pressure cooker after that one.

kelron
    Free Member

They’re good for slow cooker recipes without the need to plan ahead. Same flavour in 20-30 minutes instead of a few hours.

Also good for chicken (whole or otherwise) as the meat doesn’t dry out while cooking.

Less good for pasta sauce as it won’t reduce. You can simmer it afterwards but I feel like you might as well have used a pan in the first place.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve only ever done random stews in mine ( e.g. beef, chorizo, chickpea, lentil, root veg, red wine, herbs etc.). Only issue I sometimes get it stuff burning on the bottom but that’s usually me just being impatient.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Only issue I sometimes get it stuff burning on the bottom but that’s usually me just being impatient.

Add a bit more water, plus just heat it on full til it starts pissing out steam, then turn the hob (either right down or) off. Then just leave it til the pressure is normal.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘So I bought a pressure cooker’ is closed to new replies.