Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • So I bought a bike off eBay in November and……
  • fatgit
    Free Member

It turns out it’s nicked!! Or at least the frame is.

2016 Intense Carbine 29er that I only wanted for the frame.
    Frame swap done with an ageing Tallboy LTc and nice build weighing in at 28lb.

The Purchased bike had an odd build with full XO1 12 speed group set that wasn’t even listed on eBay (I’d just presumed it was 11 speed before I win the bidding) but the fork didn’t even fit the steerer tube properly and the brakes were bottom of the range Shimano.

Phone call yesterday from the missus to say that the Police were at home after Bristol cops had asked them to follow up a stolen bike.
    The local cops are going to pass the details back to Bristol so I’m just waiting for the next step.

I’ve told the local cops I can put it back to the way it was when I got it except the wheels and brakes which I sold on eBay as I didn’t need them.

Contacted the seller and he’s denying any knowledge of it being stolen but asked to be kept posted.

Bit pissed off cos it’s a lovely bike and exactly what I wanted but hey ho…..
    Guess I’ll just have to see how it pans out and claim back through eBay if I can?
    Cheers
    Steve

fatgit
    Free Member

Bollocks wrong forum.
    Mods -move if you wish
    Cheers
    Steve

doomanic

That sucks. I hope you have a better experience with eBay than my son is currently going through.

Drac

Bummer! I’d inform ebay now in case you miss a deadline.

damascus
    Free Member

If the original owner had been paid out then its the insurance companies bike and they won’t want it. You can usually offer them a token price for it other wise they have to pay for p&p, storage etc.

Do you still have hold of it? Don’t let go until you find out more details.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I still have it and am definitely waiting on a decision.
    @damascus-my thoughts exactly
    Cheers
    Steve

DezB
    Free Member

What a nightmare. Police need to investigate the guy who sold it to you, no way should you be out of pocket here.

jonnyboi

IIRC you have up to 180 days to log a claim directly with PP

mikeyh14
    Free Member

If you bought the bike for a fair market price and didnt suspect it to be stolen, you should be able to keep it. The original owner could make a civil claim to try and get it back. As long as you allow the police to carry out any forensic examination they wont need to seize it. I’m not up to date with law, but this used to be the case, so it might be worth checking with someone qualified and up to date.

mikeyh14
    Free Member

Actually, on second thoughts, I’ve got that completely ass about tit and the original owner will have legal right to it. If, as has been mentioned, and insurance has paid out to the original loser, then they will get the chance to buy it back. If not, you may be given that chance. With regards to your loss of money, if you vant claim via PayPal wtc, then you can make a civil claim against the person you bought it off

FB-ATB

Doesn’t matter if it was a fair price, over the odds or a bargain. If it’s stolen the vendor didn’t have title to it so no right of ownership passes to the purchaser. Even if the vendor had bought it in good faith, there’s no lawful right of possession.

Bike should go to it’s lawful owner, either the victim or insurance co. Last purchaser has to claim his money from the vendor. If this vendor bought from someone else, he has had to claim from them and so on TIL you get to the bloke in the pub.

mikeyh14
    Free Member

My confusion on the fair price, was with regards to handling stolen goods. If you’ve paid a fair price and had no idea it was stolen, then you should escape any issue around the handling element. However, claiming your lost monies will most likely be a civil thing

Poopscoop

That’s proper crap op.

Really hope it work out on for both you and the original owner.

boomerlives
    Free Member

and claim back through eBay if I can?

I had the same and eBay were not interested. Neither were Paypal. If you’ve Paypal’d onto a credit card you might have half a chance.

I ended up with no bike and no refund. Plod couldn’t be arsed looking into the seller even though he was clearly dodgy

Good flippin luck!

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi All quick update
    Still got the bike and still riding it.
    Phone call from local plod again 2weeks ago to check on what I still had and I told them honestly. They said they would report back to Bristol plod and see what happens.
    I’ve told them they can have the bits back that I still have but am not paying to have it built back up.
    Local plod are saying they won’t courier it or pay anything so Bristol end are going to have to sort everything
    Maybe this is what is holding everything up.
    I’m hoping they say I can just keep it but we’ll see
    Cheers
    Steve

monkeyboyjc

Did you pay through PayPal with a credit card?
    If so, phone the banks fraud squad and get your money back.

RoterStern
    Free Member

One thing that puzzles me is how did the police in Bristol know you had the bike if the guy who sold you the bike didn’t know the police were interested in it?

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi

@monkeyboy
    paid with PayPal but not credit card.
    &rotor-this also puzzles me unless the original owner is able to get access to my eBay username and the plod have tracked me down using eBay? Doubt it somehow but not sure?

Cheers
    Steve

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

me unless the original owner is able to get access to my eBay username and the plod have tracked me down using eBay? Doubt it somehow but not sure?

You’re probably right on the first half. The bike is nicked, Seller is the “owner” or at least his mate is, the bike isn’t insured but that’s not the point, they sell it, wait for your buyer protection to expire (Feb ish if you bought in November) point the the plod at you and how it’s recovered. They have your money and the bike…

Not a chance they police have got a warrant for ebay to release your details for a bike unless the owner is William Wales.

On a different note though

but the fork didn’t even fit the steerer tube properly

Short of a label proclaiming it’s stolen goods how much of a clue would you like?

chestrockwell

I’m quite impressed the Rozzers have tracked you down. When my bike got pinched it appeared on ebay using pictures I’d taken! Told the Police, told ebay, it really couldn’t have been an easier win. They did nothing so I lost the bike and the money.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘So I bought a bike off eBay in November and……’ is closed to new replies.