Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • So how should I fix this scratch / gouge on my Reverb?
  • couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

As above really:

Its still working but its proper deep and I dont fancy the seal’s chances of working too long.

Or can I get a new “stanchion” bit for a reasonable cost?

andyl
    Free Member

ouch!

I would contact Fishers first to see if they will sell you a new stanchion. Failing that you would need to feel for any raised sections and carefully get rid of them without damaging the rest of the shaft. Then gradually fill and smooth down the area with something like epoxy resin or similar.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks andyl. I’ll try Fishers but might have a stab and sanding / filling first.

So is epoxy the best bet? Or I’ve seen nail varnish mentioned for fork stanchions – or is that just for wear and tear?

andyl
    Free Member

nail varnish is easy to come by (easier for some than others 😉 ) and can be pretty hard and is low viscosity to good for filling very fine scratches. Yours don’t look like fine scratches!

You could try nail varnish though, should be able to pick up some black and not get any strange looks at this time of year!

you could also use red first and then black so you can see if the black is wearing down and redo your repair when needed. Get some very fine wet and dry – at least P1200 but I would get P2500. Wrap it round a wooden dowel for accurate work on the scratch area and then do a final polish in the way cartoon characters dry their backsides with towels (sorry, only way I can think to describe it)

PS no idea what the base material is in nail varnish (off to google it), but it could be a polyacrylate so pretty tough.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

you could also use red first and then black so you can see if the black is wearing down

Cracking idea! Cheers.

adrenalindaddy
    Free Member

My missus got some epoxy nail varnish that lasted for ages

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

On a stanchion? Or just generally / on her nails? Is there a brand name?

adrenalindaddy
    Free Member

Just on her nails, and I’ve no idea of a brand, she had some vouchers for some swanky place that did it all for her.

I’d have thought it would have still been a two part mix though so maybe its only available professionally…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Cheers! Cue me rolling into NailsOrUs tomorrow and looking out of place! 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘So how should I fix this scratch / gouge on my Reverb?’ is closed to new replies.