Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • So, how are we on tubes vs tubeless these days…
  • njee20
    Free Member

Mind, you I’ll be testing them down a mountain on a new bike on Friday, a bit extreme but cest la vie…

It’s Afan 😆

Northwind

Yak – Member

You shouldn’t go wrong with the proper tape, applied to clean dry rims. No need for luck – its a done deal…..

If it’s a rim designed for tubeless, and the tyre fits well, etc. Otherwise yes luck required, and sometimes not enough

deviant
    Free Member

Been back cycling for the last 4 years since a long break and I use tubes as that’s what I’ve always done.

Intrigued by tubeless but seeing as I’ve only had 3 punctures in that time (2 on the roadbike, 1 on the MTB) and don’t seem to struggle for grip then I don’t see the appeal yet.

I typically run Maxxis tyres in their softer compounds and the pressure around 30psi to avoid pinch flats… no problems.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Not for me.

No faff with gettin them installed, thought that part was very easy.

I hardly ever puncture with tubes but for some reason i kept burping and ripping tyres off the rim running mid 30’s. Not worth the hassle for me, granted im not the racing snake i see most bikers and i ride hard and do a lot of uplifts. That being said in 11 uplift days at BPW i’ve not had a single puncture.

This was on Specialized Roval rims and Spesh tyres.

I am tempted to try it again with my Flows and Maxxis tyres which are way more durable and hardwearing.

rsl1
    Free Member

At 85kg with a hard tail, there was a time when it felt like I was pinching on every ride even with plenty of air in.
    Tubeless now and not a single problem! Took a while to get working on superstar AMX rims as there are holes to one side that I missed with the rim tape, ground control went up easy with track pump once this was sorted. I can now happily double into rock gardens without constant fear of punctures in the rain/wind/cold whilst the extra grip and comfort has transformed my bike!

Kryton57

Well, I’m glad I stopped being “tight” and bought the injector.

Rim tape on nice and tight, tyre on, pump and “pop” with the valve core out, inject jizz, pump up to 35psi and… they seem done!

The onle bit that made me nervous was that as I tightened the valve in it started pulling the tape away from the edge. It stopped with some overlapping the rim still which i ensure was “stuck” with some thumb rubbing. I guess the rubber under valve will put extra pressure ‘twix tape & rim to seal it tight anyway, so here’s hoping I don’t have a failure at the weekend!

I had so much extra time in my lunch hour I managed to invisitape my seat stays!

Euro
    Free Member

You started this thread 5 days ago. Think how many punctured tubes you could fix in 5 days… 😀

hairyscary

One or other of the rides would have been spoiled if I’d have ridden the same tyres.
    Why? Melodramatic much? I’ve done group road rides on 2.25″ Rocket Rons at 20psi, not ideal, but hardly “spoiling” the ride!

I had driven from Aberdeen to Aviemore for the first ride and then on to Laggan for the second ride, about a four hour round trip.
    A few weeks earlier, while visiting Manchester, I had ridden cross country at Coed-y-brenin on the Wednesday and had an uplift day Antur Stiniog on the Thursday. In total about a six hour drive from Manchester.

On both occasions I used Maxxis Ardents for the XC day and two-ply super tacky Maxxis Minions for the more gravity assisted day. I don’t fancy 1.2kg tyres for a 36 miles xc loop and I similarly don’t want to mincing around on single-ply tyres on wet, rocky trails.

Why would you not change tyres?

njee20
    Free Member

Why would you not change tyres?

I guess, because like TINAS I’d have different bikes for that sort of difference. As it is I’d not do an uplift on my bike anyway. But I’d also be prepared to compromise for the odd ride (I did used to swap a lot more) and would very rarely drive 6 hours to ride anywhere!

soobalias
    Free Member

tubeless on both mtbs, proper rims, proper tyres.

although gotta say, following similar discussion in the pub last week post ride, i think tyres are generally more thorn resistant than 10yrs ago……

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘So, how are we on tubes vs tubeless these days…’ is closed to new replies.