So, going anywhere nice on (biking) holiday this year?

Home Forum Bike Forum So, going anywhere nice on (biking) holiday this year?

Viewing 22 posts - 46 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • So, going anywhere nice on (biking) holiday this year?
  • Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Got a week being guided by AQR in Luchon coming up in early May, then driving over to central France a week or so later to ride in the Cevennes with a handful of maps and a nose for a good trail.

ianv

Cant decide between the Pyranees (andorra) and (Alps)Montgenevre. Would be interested to hear any comments on either.

mikey74

cove-transition-genesis – Member
    mikey74

returning to bearback

Don’t surpose you were the guys I met at Vancouver airport last year, waiting for the bikes to comeout? I seem to remember you had Transition bikes.

mikey74

Strange how far people will go to ride, when Wales and Scotland are so close.

Only someone who has never ridden in Canada, or other overseas places would say something like that.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

The OP was asking about biking holidays, NOT skiing.

True I did.

I believe a lot of MTBing in the Alps is done with the assistance of ski-lifts though, no?

devs

Got 2 weeks in French Alps lined up v soon. Bit snowy though, guess I’ll take the skis. Got a nice pad 40 min from Aviemore for the rest of the year except when I need some sun on my skin. 8)

mrsflash

Strange how far people will go to ride, when Wales and Scotland are so close.

Why? You can do both, no?

RichPenny

First week in August will be with Trail Addiction in Les Arcs. Never ridden in the Alps before, can’t wait!

sunny skies and chairlifts are hardly in abundance in the UK.

Many people will be holidaying at home for financial reasons – I for one. Well we can’t do much about sunshine, but it’s about time the tourist boards put pressure on authorities to sign-off summer-season uplift business applications.

Would you think about holidaying the UK if you could get reliable XC and DH uplifts in the UK this summer?

mikey74

Would you think about holidaying the UK if you could get reliable XC and DH uplifts in the UK this summer?

No, because the riding isn’t as good as Canada. Plus I need to get out the country for a bit: This over-populated island is getting a bit claustrophobic.

I’m doing l’etape, then sticking about to watch the tour proper come through. Then I’m going to try and get as much decent red back to blighty as I can 8)

slugwash

Still undecided but either Santander to Roscoff by road bike or offroad Mt Blanc circuit by mountain bike sometime in late May or early June.

This over-populated island is getting a bit claustrophobic

Yeah I know that feeling. I usually disappear to the Western Highlands & Islands, but away from the obvious tourist traps.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

slugwash – we rode from santander out to the wst coast of spain and then back up through France a couple of years ago.
    http://pompinos.blogspot.com/

wonderful trip.

The ferrry to Santander is brilliant. Taking it in May on the way to Luchon before tourng (by van this time) back up through central france again. Its a great way of getting a long way away without too much driving. A good sleep on board, places for Jr to play etc. and really good food (french vessel)

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

hmmm already started pouring over the maps. cant wait!

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Not sure if that was directed solely at me Buzz? Possibly not, but for the record I am holidaying in Scotland for a week in April (and riding up the hills).

Also, I will probably have another four or five long weekends in the UK this year, whatever the weather.

That’s opposed to one (if that) foreign holiday this year, in Europe, which I hope to get uplifts on. And warm weather would be nice too.

I’ve only had one foreign biking holiday before, in southern Spain – and it was the combination of the riding, the weather, the scenery, the food and drink and the relaxed Spanishness of the experience that made it so great – not just the uplifts (there were only two van days anyway).

What kind of uplift permits you talking about anyway? Vehicular or the ski-lift type?

Would make an interesting thread of it’s own.

Big Bike Bash.

Off to the Pyrenees for a few days in June…

Col de Peyresourde,
    Col d’Aspin,
    Col du Tourmalet,
    Col d’Aubisque

are all within striking distance :O) :O) :O)

Week in the lakes in July,four weeks with BikeVillage,
    mid August-mid September

jojoA1

Just about all my hols are going to be used for biking stuff. Lots of racing weekends that will need friday and monday to get to and from cos I live so far North.

2 weeks in the Alps including the Megavalanche in July is the ‘family’ holiday. Getting excited as am in the process of booking the campsite with the wonderful assistance of Juan 🙂 Who happens to be coming to visit Aviemore and me ‘n’ him indoors will try and show him a good time.

PS: Mrs Flash, I was in Italy in Sept (with Rivierabike, who I think you’re going with) and it was FREEZING. It snowed on the tops one of the days, so make sure you take some warm clothes. I had to borrow a fleece from Jo, Ady’s partner, as I had only taken sunny weather clothing 🙁

Im going to Canada for 5 weeks, one week in Vancouver, 25days in Whistler.
    Only 10 weeks away !

A permanent biking holiday for me here. But I shall probably be coming back to the UK for some summer riding in August (fingers crossed for good weather!!)

Viewing 22 posts - 46 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘So, going anywhere nice on (biking) holiday this year?’ is closed to new replies.