Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • So, Glastonbury cancelled for 2021…
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

From Radio 4 at 1pm: – Calls for Pub/bar/restaurants to stay shut until May:
    “Bars and restaurants should not open before May, a scientist who sits on a sub-group of Sage (the government’s scientific advisory committee) suggests.
    Dr Marc Baguelin, from Imperial College London, says reopening hospitality businesses too early could lead to a “bump” in Covid cases.

“We looked at the partial reopening and the increase in the R number, it will generate an increase in the R number, the extent of which we don’t know really,” he tells BBC Radio 4’s World at One programme.”

I guess that’s the big ‘what if’ isn’t it.

If things with the vaccine go as well as well as the Government say is should, by mid-feb the 4 highest risk categories will have a least some protection, supposedly enough to reduce the chances of death or hospitalisation by 90% (which is different to not getting covid at all).

Based on 2m doses a week, everyone 65 and older and people with underlaying health problems will be vaccinated early march.

The roll out will slow then, as the people who got the first dose will be due their second, but if everyone over 65 or with underlaying health issues has 90% protection (which is a BIG if) then Hospital admissions and deaths will tiny compared to now, easily manageable by the NHS and it won’t be a healthcare problem, just another one of the things than can make you ill.

If few people are dying, so few it’s akin to the other coronaviruses and flu etc, will they care about the R rate? Assuming it cannot be eradicated now, Would it be more beneficial for us all to accept it’s part of life forever and allow our bodies to get used to it? I don’t know that’s for sure.

allanoleary
    Free Member

Well I’ve just requested a refund of my tickets for Hella Mega. Even if it goes ahead I don’t think I’d be comfortable standing on the pitch in that size crowd. Should have my money back in 5 days. Will use it to book a camping trip for me and my daughter instead

Northwind

mattyfez
    Free Member

Yeh i’d love to pay loads of money to go to a swampy field to watch kanye west. On a video screen?

hahaha!

Dude, of all the festivals to throw that accusation at Glastonbury is just about the daftest, it has more going on at any given time than probably any 2 or 3 of the other major festivals combined. It’s not really my cup of tea but tbf I think you can only manage this sort of criticism by just not really understanding the event.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpyjon

If few people are dying,

Its not the death rate that will be important, it will be the level of hospital admission, if that drops and stays down then maybe things will unlock.

the-muffin-man

I wasn’t really going into whether Glastonbury was a good festival or not! 🙂
    I’ve never been and have no plans to go.

For me I’d feel better at my local festival (15-20k people) than my usual haunt which is Rock City. At least at smaller festivals you can stand on the fringes and still get good views of bands.

Being squashing into a 2500 capacity small venue may have to wait a while.

sadmadalan

I’ve got tickets for Greenman (end Aug) and End of the Road (early Sep), rolled over from last year. I reckon 50/50 at the moment. I’ve also got tickets for 3 gigs in one week in early Nov (two rolled over from last year), probably closer to 80%

I think (and I am not an expert) that once the Over 50’s have been vaccinated (twice), key workers and the programme is in place for the rest of the population, then things will start to re-open. We are never going to get rid of Covid-19, we are just trying to reduce the impact of it. Much as we do with flu.

fatoldgit

Glastonbury isn’t really my thing ( at least the Pyramid stage isn’t although I sort of want to go for the experience of the whole other stage, unsigned stage, Avalon type thing ) but I guess it was sadly inevitable that it wouldn’t happen this year… just too many hoops to jump through, what ifs for them to worry about and it will (imho ) be touch n go next year.
    To be honest I’ll be pleased just now to get to any kind of gig this year but fully expect all the tickets sitting in my shelf will roll over to 2022 😟

b33k34

It’d not sad, Glastonbury has become a satire of it’s self, and should be abolished.

Good riddance.

I’m guessing Matty didn’t get a ticket again.

Not unexpected for Glastonbury but I’m still holding a small flame for End of the Road at the start of September. Not just dependent on UK though – are the booked bands going to be able to travel from wherever they are?

booji
    Free Member

Im booked up for 4 day Rebellion punk festival in Blackpool beginning of August, praying it goes ahead.

richardkennerley

Im booked up for 4 day Rebellion punk festival in Blackpool beginning of August, praying it goes ahead.

Can recommend some eateries if you need them 👌

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘So, Glastonbury cancelled for 2021…’ is closed to new replies.