Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • So, Glastonbury cancelled for 2021…
  • the-muffin-man

…do we think any festivals or any live music will go ahead this year?

And would you attend if they did?

Hoping they’ll be able to put my local one at the end of July.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Well I’m shocked

the-muffin-man

Don’t think anyone is shocked Glastonbury is cancelled as the forward planning needed is on a massive scale. I can’t see any other big ones running either.

But there are a lot of smaller ones that could possibly be set up in a short timescale.

binners

Blimey! I never saw that coming! Life comes at you fast, eh?

Shall we have bets on which event organisers are going to remain the most delusional for the longest? The International Olympic Committee seem like frontrunners at the moment.

Not only insisting that an event that will draw athletes from every country on the globe together, all in one place, is still going to go ahead, but that there will be crowds in attendance to watch it.

Yeah, right

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ha yeah the IOC seems to properly have their heads buried.

On the subject of live music…..I can’t see much happening this year. Gutted. 15 years building my mediocre little career, but I was quite proud of it and it’s all I’d wanted to do since I was 10. I just hope that there’s something tangible left to go back to in 2022/23.

scotroutes

Aren’t the IOC also saying that Covid testing won’t be necessary?

the-muffin-man

I just hope that there’s something tangible left to go back to in 2022/23.

I’m sure there will be – the pent-up demand for live music must be huge. And if some venues have sadly closed it won’t take long for others to emerge.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I hope that some new ones open….it’s becoming clear that 2021 will be a total wipeout gigwise. I fear that venues that were clinging on and weathering 2020 will just throw in the towel. It’s going to be a quarter of the way into 2022 at the earliest before anything substantial can go ahead imo.

zilog6128

I’m sure there will be – the pent-up demand for live music must be huge. And if some venues have sadly closed it won’t take long for others to emerge.

this. I think the UK was starting to get “festival fatigue” as there were too many but I think that now the demand will be massive and they’ll be a boom, whether it’s existing events or startups

Mister-P
    Free Member

There’s a very small gig at the start of July in Cornwall I really hope goes ahead. It’s not outside the realms of possibility and I’ll go if it does happen. The 5000 people festival at the end of July I have tickets for I can’t see going ahead though. Right now I’d be happy watching a local band in a pub garden if it meant watching live music.

mattyfez

To be excpected I suppose.

I’m more of the age group where I find weird blokes playing Ukes and curious planks of wood more interetsting.

‘Glasto’ got shit decades ago as it is too commercial, no skin off my nose.

binners

Right now I’d be happy watching a local band in a pub garden if it meant watching live music.

The idea of that in the sunshine, with a few mates and a pint in your hand sounds like some magical kind of perfection

matt_outandabout

Is this not a reflection of more happening in holiday’s, corporate exhibitions etc through 2021? Let’s go local and small, instead of international and huge.

An opportunity perhaps for many.

Spud

Had one cancelled for next month – no surprise, suspect all the others in the next 4-5 months will also be cancelled. I hope they’re rearranged rather than canned altogether.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Just hoping some go ahead. Our son is a sound engineer and at the beginning of 2020 had a full diary of work.planned for the year….all that disappeared of course.   Now he is labouring to get by.

Apart from festivals I hope some tours go ahead as well. But who knows?

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s really sad Glastonbury is cancelled, partly for the sake of people who love to go and partly it’s one of the early indicators that it’s not all “going to be over soon”.

That said, Glastonbury is cancelled because at this moment in time, they cannot guarantee 250k people can attend a mass event in 6 months time, they’d said that the end of Jan was their deadline to lets the acts, suppliers, staff etc know, so they’ve done well to drag it out for 3 weeks.

I’d guess the problem is, no one really knows what’s the plan when/if the Healthcare Crisis is over, there’s no way people in the average age group for Glastonbury are all going to be vaccinated by then, will the government/public be happy for everyone under to 50 to “take their chances” with Covid as they see fit in the summer, and if so, are Glastonbury liable if someone catches it on-site and falls very ill?

New Zealand held a mass music event at the weekend, 20k people, they waited until they hadn’t had a single recorded infection in the community in weeks, maybe months. The UK won’t be there in June.

james-rennie

The idea of that in the sunshine, with a few mates and a pint in your hand sounds like some magical kind of perfection

Good grief, that simple comment made me all emotional. I really miss all of those things.

Nick

Got tickets for Greenman in August and Manchester Psych Fest in September, both carried over from last year.

I’m not particularly optimistic about GM, but it is two months later than Glasto so it all depends on how well the vaccine rollout goes over the next month I guess, at the moment I’m crossing my fingers for September, it’s a smaller festival with much less in the way of logistics, no camping and all that jazz, so perhaps they can hold out longer before they are forced to cancel again.

fettlin

Really hope Nozstock (my local) goes ahead this year. For them, the local community and all the festival goers, it’s a great event.

Is there going to be a Mexican stand off though? Whichever festival/event can hold off the longest and and actually go ahead will have a massive year, as the pent up desire to get to one of these things must be well beyond breaking point already.

Nick

Most of them sold out last year, so there won’t be many tickets available assuming most people kept hold of them, so conversely a last minute hastily arranged festival probably with a bunch of shite cover acts will probably do really well

oldtennisshoes

Suede in April
    Killers in June
    New Order in October

New Order perhaps 🤔

allanoleary
    Free Member

I’m not holding out much hope of being able to use my tickets to the Hella Mega Tour in June after it was postponed last year. Just have to wait for Ticketmaster to tell me it’s off again

mattyfez

It’s really sad Glastonbury is cancelled, partly for the sake of people who love to go and partly it’s one of the early indicators that it’s not all “going to be over soon”.

It’d not sad, Glastonbury has become a satire of it’s self, and should be abolished.

Good riddance.

cookeaa

Nope.

Nope, they’d be perfect super spreader opportunities until vaccination has been completed… whenever that might be.

There’s no harm in hoping, just temper that hope with a little realism…

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’d not sad, Glastonbury has become a satire of it’s self, and should be abolished.

Good riddance.

What a strange thing to say ha ha.

peekay

What a strange thing to say ha ha.

He has said a similarly negative thing in two posts now in a thread of 20 posts.

Keep posting your strong arguments Mattyfez and you might convince all 170k+ people who wanted to go to cancel their tickets.

timthetinyhorse

Had Kendal Calling tickets rolled over from last year to this July, just had a look and so far its still on this year but to be honest i’m not holding out much hope, i think mass gatherings like festivals will be the last things back on the social menu….Had my Foals tickets rolled over too for May in Edinburgh and also cant see that happening.

Coyote
    Free Member

Good riddance.

Hey, you sound like fun to be with!

mattyfez

He has said a similarly negative thing in two posts now in a thread of 20 posts.

Keep posting your strong arguments Mattyfez and you might convince all 170k+ people who wanted to go to cancel their tickets.

Yeh i’d love to pay loads of money to go to a swampy field to watch kanye west. On a video screen?

hahaha!

I love music, dont’t get me wrong, but Glastonbury is a very poor example.

poolman
    Free Member

I bought festival tickets for Sep 21 here in Spain, funnily enough only me out of everyone I have told thinks it may go head.

Anyway, day 1 of ticket offering they were half price and fully refundable if it cannot go ahead.

It’s not just gigs and festivals that suffer,loads of local spending does not happen.

Very sad for everyone involved.

peteimpreza

Is not surprised

Is disappoint

mattyfez

I bought festival tickets for Sep 21 here in Spain, funnily enough only me out of everyone I have told thinks it may go head.

Dream beach by any chance? I doubt it will go ahead.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Good grief, that simple comment made me all emotional. I really miss all of those things.

very much this. it also feels like a lifetime ago that those things happened all together!

Nick

Yeh i’d love to pay loads of money to go to a swampy field to watch kanye west. On a video screen?

Yeah because at the precise moment Kanye comes on stage there is literally nothing else happening at Glastonbury and it’s the law that you have to watch him.

P-Jay
    Free Member

hahaha

Do you think it’s an event meant to be tailored just for you?

I haven’t been in 20 years, sometimes when it’s on TV I think I’d like to go again, but really I’d like to be 20 again. I think my ideal Glastonbury experience these days would be to watch it on a huge projector screen in my garden with my friends, and then the last act leaves the stage, finish my drink and go to my nice warm bed.

mattyfez

it’s not really a decent festival is what i’m saying. I’d be at risk of being called a hipster ten years ago, now it’s just a circle jerk

richardkennerley

Had ticket for neighbourhood Weekender rolled over from last year. Think it’s in May. Not holding out for that.

On a similar note, got my ardrock ticket rolled over from 2 years ago. I wonder if that will run in a different format this year, still ride but no festival?

Stayed at the yha last year on me lonesome in a camping pod as I already had it booked. Did 3 days riding around, it was actually brilliant!

alanl
    Free Member

I dont think there will be any gathering of more than a few hundred people happening before September, except in a controlled way. like what they did a few months ago at football gorunds.
    When pubs do open, I think it’ll have to be something like during last Summer in Scotland, table service only, sit with your ‘bubble’ only, and strict closing of 10pm.
    We’ve got around £200 in concert tickets here for 3 bands, for last year, rearranged for this year, I can’t see any of them happening before October.

From Radio 4 at 1pm: – Calls for Pub/bar/restaurants to stay shut until May:
    “Bars and restaurants should not open before May, a scientist who sits on a sub-group of Sage (the government’s scientific advisory committee) suggests.
    Dr Marc Baguelin, from Imperial College London, says reopening hospitality businesses too early could lead to a “bump” in Covid cases.

“We looked at the partial reopening and the increase in the R number, it will generate an increase in the R number, the extent of which we don’t know really,” he tells BBC Radio 4’s World at One programme.”

grum
    Free Member

I also had Hella Mega tickets but no chance it’s happening this summer imo.

I have a feeling that might not be the only option.

I prefer smaller festivals just because they tend to be friendlier and I don’t have to walk as far. 🙂

I do feel bad for touring musicians, with Brexit as well. Only going to cement the fact that only the comfortably off will be able to afford to be musicians in future.

Duggan

Imagine thinking glastonbury is a “poor example of music”. Maybe if you only watch it on TV.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘So, Glastonbury cancelled for 2021…’ is closed to new replies.