Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • So Ed versus Len?
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So Rupert Murdoch’s Times Newspaper has an opinion on the matter cranberry ?

And wait for it…… it’s not a positive one !

Well who would have thought it eh ?

Still, it must come as a huge relief to them that after seeing Labour lead in pretty much all the opinion polls for the last 2 years, that they can now so confidently and easily predict its doom.

ninfan
    Free Member

Hopefully the weekends press will shed some more light

insight from mad Eric here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/05/unite-falkirk-irresponsible-labour

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think a violent alcoholic who appears to have a serious chip on his shoulder, and left/was thrown out of, both the army and the Labour Party, in disgrace, is probably the not the best person to pass judgement on Unite.

binners

Eric Joyce passing judgement? Maybe they could get Neil Hamilton to write an article on the morality of present Tory fundraising?

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Right wing labour will use this to take more politics out of the influence of normal every day people.

kimbers

Is it not just another inevitable step in (new) labours transformation into another mainstream centre right party

theres very little difference between any of the major parties

binners

Ed Milliband. Tony Blair without the charisma to pull it off. How many months before he develops the wild staring eye? Why any of the unions should carry on funding the Labour Party is completely beyond me. When was the last time they got anything back?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I suspect they have some “evidence” which amounts to nothing. A dodgy dossier no doubt. The truth will eventually come out. It’s a question of wait and see.

No criminal probe into Labour’s Falkirk candidate selection process

….police said today there was not enough evidence to support a criminal investigation. A spokesman said: “Following a comprehensive review of all material submitted, Police Scotland has concluded there are insufficient grounds to support a criminal investigation at this time.”[/b]

So despite the rantings of right-wing extremists who seized control of the Labour Party under Tony Blair, and the Tory press who obligingly egged them on, the police could find no compelling evidence that Unite was guilty of the allegations made against them.

But of course the truth won’t make the headlines in the same way that the misinformation clearly did.
    So all in all a worthwhile exercise for those with an anti-trade union agenda.

And another triumph for misinformation over truth.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

full quote please

“Following a comprehensive review of all material submitted, Police Scotland has concluded there are insufficient grounds to support a criminal investigation at this time. However, should further information come to light this will be looked into.”

also information commissioner starting to dig
    http://order-order.com/2013/07/25/information-commissioner-confirms-unite-falkirk-fraud-investigation/
    and the Trade Union Certification Officer is now free to investigate
    http://order-order.com/2013/07/25/certification-officer-now-free-to-investigate-unite/

there is still along way to go with this one

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

full quote please

🙄 I provided a link to the whole article. You just chose to quote a different sentence to me.

But your sentence provides exactly the same information as mine, ie, that the police have concluded there are insufficient grounds to support a criminal investigation.

Your quote simply makes the added point that there was “a comprehensive review of all material submitted” which is of course excellent news.

It also makes the point that “should further information come to light this will be looked into” which again is excellent news – if no criminal investigation is launched in the future we can safely assume that this is due to a lack of any credible new evidence.

there is still along way to go with this one

Not unless the right-wing hierarchy in the Labour Party can come up with some convincing evidence which they can provide to the police.

BTW big and daft, as a shameless Tory who enthusiastically ingests everything the Daily Mail feeds them, you must be absolutely gutted that the police found no evidence of wrongdoing by Unite, eh ?

althepal

Lets just wait and see what the Labour hierarchy can dig up/come up with first eh?
    As someone said previously Labour’s attempts to “sort” this out will prob mean another 5 more years of Tory-led government.. I really hope we vote Yes next year.. cant see any other way that we’ll have an actual NHS if we dont.
    Edit.. B and D- looked at your first link and although it does indicate that the ICO’s enforcement team is looking into the matter it seems to talk mostly about Ed/Labour’s refusal to make public their own internal report.. reckon that might be whats being investigated?

AdamW
    Free Member

I saw a pie chart the other day that shows where the Tory money comes from. Majority from banks (no sh*t, Sherlock!) then a large quantity from private health companies.

Well blow me over with a feather! Fancy that. And we’re privatising it at the same time, what a coincidence!

Problem is that politics in this country is turning into the US-model, corrupt to the core.

althepal

Also- what AdamW said.. im sure the Tory candidate selection process is completely above board.. board-room level perhaps?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

BTW big and daft, as a shameless Tory who enthusiastically ingests everything the Daily Mail feeds them, you must be absolutely gutted that the police found no evidence of wrongdoing by Unite, eh ?

I don’t read the Daily Mail, I leave that to Unite members http://order-order.com/2013/07/23/unite-behind-right-wing-press/

You will also note they didn’t say “no” evidence, just “insufficient grounds” for a criminal investigation. My understanding is that the fraud charges were quite hard to proceed with, the other agencies have more relevant powers

Based on your posts on some issues you vote UKIP ernie 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Lets just wait and see what the Labour hierarchy can dig up/come up with first eh?

😕 They already did that 2 weeks ago. As my link says : “Labour had handed documents to police”

And let’s be absolutely clear, the Labour hierarchy and the right-wing press didn’t suggest that there might have been any wrongdoing by Unite, they claimed that they was indisputable evidence of this.

As the OP said 2 weeks ago :

a party leader claiming that the evidence that has been uncovered is “so serious that He wanted the police to investigate.”

However now following a comprehensive review of all material submitted, the police have stated that it doesn’t even warrant an investigation.

althepal

Any other sources at all? I’d get pulled up by my lecturers if I only quoted from one source all the time..
    Edit- Ernie, I was being sarcastic.. I doubt they will do it but if the ICO ever gets them to make public the Labour report it might be quite interesting/damaging..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You will also note they didn’t say “no” evidence, just “insufficient grounds” for a criminal investigation.

So you are basing your accusation of guilt on the basis of insufficient evidence ?? Well done 🙂

I repeat, the accusations made by Miliband, his cronies, and the Tory press which dictates their policies,
    was that Unite’s guilt was indisputable.

This was clearly quite false.

just5minutes
    Free Member

There are 14 local labour groups in “special measures” at the moment – Ed’s biggest problem is that his party appear to be supported by corrupt members and are busy running something akin to rotten boroughs.

http://labourlist.org/2013/07/the-kafkaesque-farce-of-the-labour-party-special-measures-revisited/

Junkyard
    Free Member

What ernie said

Yes they should be more proficient than the police at finding evidence and investigating criminal allegations 😕

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There are 14 local labour groups in “special measures” at the moment

Once they had consolidated their power the first thing the right-wingers who has seized power in the Labour Party did was to systematically purge the party of all its democratic processes, “changing the structures” was Tony Blair called it.

This received no real coverage in the media, but it did create the grotesque stalinist party that we now have in which one man alone makes all the important decisions and decides all the policies.

The only remnant which still survives from the days when the Labour Party was a democratic organisation is the selection process for MPs.

For the right-wing control freaks who have the party in their total grip this is an anathema – the very thought that ordinary party members should have any sort of meaningful democratic input into the party fills them with horror. As a consequence they use the slightest excuse to place a local party under “special measures”.

It’s not “corrupt members” that is the problem, but a totally corrupt self-serving right-wing leadership.

EDIT : Ironically if the sitting MP for Falkirk had resigned and forced a byelection, which he should have done, then this problem wouldn’t have occurred as under party rules ordinary members can’t be trusted to choose the candidate in a byelection, and the leadership steps in and handpicks the candidate.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So do we take it that our (apparent) next PM was just completely wrong to describe events as an “utter, utter disgrace” and to call for the police to investigate (and by implication believing that there was a case). Or was his judgment correct and the police merely incapable of sorting this out? Funny old business when our next leader seemed to be so categorical against his main backers. Was it just all a lot of posturing then? It will be interesting to see how long they keep the suspensions on Murphy and Deans now. And why would Watson feel the need to go…all very strange. Lovely world politics!!!!

Ed will have to be careful now because the Tories joker (better than expected economic recovery) may just well be peeping its head above the parapet, albeit mainly statistical smokes and mirrors at the moment!!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Funny old business when our next leader seemed to be so categorical against his main backers.

The entire New Labour project relied completely on the premise that the overwhelming majority of traditional Labour voters and supporters would back them no matter what, as there simply wasn’t anywhere else for them to go.

Their only concern therefore was to satisfy Daily Mail readers and Sun editorial writers.

It is a strategy which has in the past worked extremely well, at least for the self-serving careerists it was designed to serve.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Funny old business when our next leader seemed to be so categorical against his main backers

Unite are Labours main backers…source please..perhaps you meant dave had attacked bankers?

TBH the world of political party funding is a murky business and keeping this story tops stops us discussing why the Tories objection to a cap on donations- would harm the fact a number of wealthy donors give shit loads

How they are funding, perhaps like MP expenses, is not great and no party will look all that great so lets just paint the unions as the baddies and ignore the Tory funding stream
    An open and honest debate without political favour would be useful but I wont be seeing it on STW or in the real world

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Trade union political funds are the cleanest and most transparent money in British politics.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Indeed they are

It will be a long wait for a list of all donors to all parties

Northwind

TBH this is the thing that’s made me lose any last of hope for the current labour party… Not because of the allegations, but because of the response. Ed on the run from the word go.

What can possibly make labour, faced with “Ya boo you get loads of money from unions”, say “Oh yes, sorry about that” instead of looking them straight in the eye and saying “**** off, you get 51% of your money from the City, bankers and hedge funds, you’re the last people in the world that can criticise us you bought-and-paid for ****”

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

IMO, The overall issue with political funding is a related BUT seperate issue (that also needs debate). But that should not detract from what seems to be happening here. My understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, is that EM owes his position as Labour leader (and next PM.) to Unite and Unison, hence my choice of the words, “main backers.” More evidence of their closeness includes the reaction of McClusky who described his 2011 speech as the “best by a Labour leader since the days of John Smith.” Furthermore, on this specific issue where our next leader has chosen to pick a fight if not a battle, McClusky is saying that the status quo was indefensible.

So forget the red tops and the rest of the mischievous media, the two main players here (hence my OP) are at the centre of this debate and willing driving it. Especiially Milliband. He is not diverting attention into the wider issu of overall funding – it is him, that chose to go directly for the Unite jugular…..”utter, utter disgrace” Is not mincing words….accepting resignations, suspending members, calling in the police, internal investigations are all significant actions. So the unanswered question, remains why? Why such force and determination to make this a big issue? What else is there that would make you do this when these guys were/are (?) your main backers (but happy to be corrected on this point). Surely to go this far is not mere political posturing to divert attention from recent trends in the polls? No one would take that sort of political gamble would they.

Keeps the poltical hacks happy for another day today!

julianwilson
    Free Member

City, bankers and hedge funds

Northwind you forgot private ‘bob-a-job’ healthcare/infrastructure/criminal ‘justice’ multinationals. 👿

I am all for greater transparency about where parties’ money comes from: (surely this would be embarrassing to both cheeks of this political arse we have pooping on us at the moment,) if only for the comedy value of Cameron losing his nerve before Milliband and trying like a piss-wet 4th-rate Berlusconi to bluff his way out of it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So the unanswered question, remains why? Why such force and determination to make this a big issue? What else is there that would make you do this when these guys were/are (?) your main backers (but happy to be corrected on this point). Surely to go this far is not mere political posturing to divert attention from recent trends in the polls? No one would take that sort of political gamble would they.

I’ve already answered that question : The entire New Labour project relied completely on the premise that the overwhelming majority of traditional Labour voters and supporters would back them no matter what as there simply wasn’t anywhere else for them to go.

Their only concern therefore was to satisfy Daily Mail readers and Sun editorial writers.

When Tony Blair was Labour Leader he regularly and very publicly criticised trade unions. The majority of trade unionists nevertheless felt they had no choice but to back him, and the right-wing press absolutely loved his tough on trade unions posturing, pouring great praise on him. It was a win win situation.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Is that because they are two two most popular newspapers read by Unite members?

I have been a member of a union for 22 years and have never been balloted on the continuance of the political fund, something which is a statutory requirement every 10 years. I have also never been given the opportunity to vote for branch rep either, union democracy is manipulated to suit those already in charge

big_n_daft
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    Trade union political funds are the cleanest and most transparent money in British politics.

I agree, Unite openly declare the use of funds to get Unite sponsored candidates selected by CLP’s and then elected to parliament

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have been a member of a union for 22 years

You sure come over as the kind of left wing radical unionist who scares us all with your communist agenda

and have never been balloted on the continuance of the political fund*, something which is a statutory requirement every 10 years.

Source please – I dont believe it is a legal requirement and if it was I am sure someone right wing – know anyone? – would have kicked up a serious fuss by now about the anti democratic union.

I have also never been given the opportunity to vote for branch rep either

Has anyone stood against them?
    Why dont you then?

, union democracy is manipulated to suit those already in charge

Its perceived powers is manipulated to fuel a right wing agenda thtat those in power dont represent their members despite the ballots showing otherwise, they are highly democratic unlike a business which donates money

Which do you think is the most transparent about its election and policies – a Union or a political party or a business person funding one ?

Its pointless no political party has “clean funds”

This desire to portray the democratic unions as undemocratic whilst one rich millionaire gives millions to gain personal influence [ despite not actually living here or paying tax in some cases] and this does not get commented on. It’s a right wing distortion to stop us asking the real questions about the party in power

This is terrible everyone just jumping in a rut of their own political colour as if any party is clean. We nnedd to clean it all up and whether you like it or not the money form the trade unions is transparent, open and clean. Much of the anonymous funding does not reach this standard but we dont need to worry about that eh

* FWIW a political fund may or may not pay to the labour party – unison for example has two one pays to the labour and one does not
    The one which does not campaigns on issues that represent the members needs/interests such as say pension rights, sick pay employment rights etc

I assume you are trying to suggest every political fund gives money to the labour party?
    Name the union could you please

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Source please – I dont believe it is a legal requirement and if it was I am sure someone right wing – know anyone? – would have kicked up a serious fuss by now about the anti democratic union.

It is a legal requirement, and one which would be scrutinized by the government Certification Officer. It was Thatcher who introduced this and it spectacularly backfired on her as even trade unions who had previously no political funds voted in favour – not what she excepted.

I can well believe that Big and Daft hasn’t voted on the issue though, he is after all by his own admission apparently daft 🙂 It is quite impossible for our extremely regulated trade unions to break the law and not end up in court with the threat of their funds being sequestrated.

We don’t in the UK have free trade unions that do as they please – they are very tightly controlled by the government.

Likewise the election of shop stewards and branch officials, if Big and Daft hasn’t voted in 22 years it’s more likely to be because he got confused, went to the wrong room, missed the meeting, or some other daft excuse.

Trade unions are without any doubt whatsoever among the most democratic institutions in our society. Which is precisely why right-wingers need to repeat the Big Lie with such stubborn determination.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So the truth has finally come out :

Unite cleared over Labour vote-rigging row

Labour CLEARS Unite union and its members of trying to fix Falkirk selection battle

The party has decided no organisation or individual broke its rules after evidence of wrongdoing was withdrawn.

Two union officials at the centre of the row have been reinstated.

Unsurprisingly the truth isn’t getting the same level of prominence as the nonsense and misinformation spouted by the blairite clones who despise inner-party democracy got.

It was all so utterly predictable.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Big and Daft hasn’t voted on the issue though, he is after all by his own admission apparently daft

by that measure you support violent regime change in other countries, summary execution without trial and de facto support for the death penalty with or without due process

and of course every internal investigation by a political party is rigorous and with complete integrity

Unsurprisingly the truth isn’t getting the same level of prominence as the nonsense and misinformation spouted by the blairite clones who despise inner-party democracy got.

you obviously listen to the wrong radio stations

anyway I’m going for public office, I can even get training and funding!
    http://www.gmb.org.uk/about/gmb-and-politics/gmb-labour-candidates-programme

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘So Ed versus Len?’ is closed to new replies.