So damn old its knew – or – knee pads or XC…really!!!!???????

Home Forum Bike Forum So damn old its knew – or – knee pads or XC…really!!!!???????

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • So damn old its knew – or – knee pads or XC…really!!!!???????
  • I crashed on Bamford Clough and could barely walk let alone ride for 2 years due to a FUBAR knee. I now wear knee pads for riding in the Peak.

Chapeau for not calling it “the Peaks” though * shudder*

clubber

Lucky we’ve got people like you to tell us what we should and shouldn’t ride in.

clubber

Besides, 99/2000? That was exactly when it was trendy to start riding unsuitable bikes on XC courses. You know, when we convinced ourselves that weight didn’t matter at all and that a bike that was ok on the DHs was worth lugging everywhere else. I know. I did it 🙂

If only you new how to spell knew…

grum

What was your point again?

Besides, 99/2000?

Pfft. Noobz, eh?

clubber

Quite 😉

hotgospeller

Lovely gentlemen, I fancied a bit of sparring!

Imposing your world view on other people is my pet hate and at the end of the day your ride is your choice!

It is feeling that I had to do what the mags and trends said that spoiled my experience of riding a few years back, but luckily a good friend has coaxed me back.

What I really believe about bikes is a closely guarded secret…but keep an eye out for more arcane ramblings soon.

And maybe if I typed more slowly I’d know how to spell Knew Rusty…and maybe I’d become pedantic too…know offence bro 🙂

hotgospeller

…and I’ve got my Raceface Khyber’s on order…

soobalias

short rides on big bikes, clipped in.

one day i will get to ride in the peaks, i hear you are all aorsums

hotgospeller

…just fancied a bit of debate…

Edric 64

XC and flat pedals ? noooo !!

hotgospeller

I’m not that crusty a rider, but when I started doing the Dark Peak around 1999/2000 I used to have a complex about riding the unfashionable and unnecessary precautions of flat pedals, wide bars, short stem and plus 80mm travel forks. How wussy? And taking a DH/Jump setup on an all-day ride – really!

Well, what goes-around-comes-around, as they say, and as I lined up at the start of the British Heart Foundation Dark Peak challenge, I couldn’t help but notice the prevalence of bars wide enough to fit a KTM Super-Duke and even the jey-boys were riding flats.

But all that knee-armour – really? On a 42 mile XC ride…and what’s all this ‘All-mountain’ nonsense…I know chaps who’ve been riding all-over mountains for years and to be honest, no amount of re-branding will take away the skill that attempting something nutty on an eye-ball rattling bike will give you…nor will ‘XC’ ever be fashionable, even if that’s all most of us really ever do…if we’re honest.

So long live big days out, skills over travel and flat pedals for XC.

Knee pads optional.

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

I am now really confused. So you’re saying I need wider bars, knee pads and flat pedals to ride XC?

No problems with my Time pedals and lack of pads if I am honest. Still haven’t got a dropper post either.

Premier Icon benji
    Subscriber

You are the brother of the Strava KOM dark lord RichMTBGuru and I claim my £5 wiggle voucher.

hotgospeller

Dropper posts…arrrghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! New fangled rubbish!!!!!!

But if I could afford a Reverb I’d get one…

(He says being extra careful with his spelling, grammar and punctuation)

jools182

I wear knee pads on most rides

I cracked my knee against a rock and wasn’t able to walk for days

I was doing about 0mph at the time, just setting off at the top of a descent and my front tyre lost grip

You don’t have to be gnar to get injured

I already look like a tit in my cycling gear, I doubt the absence of kneepads would improve matters

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

I never thought I’d wear a set of knee pads or use flat pedals to ride. I now use both to ride XC on a singlespeed (to be ultra trendy it’s actually a fixed) – though I don’t have any suspension or handlebars.

kevin1911

I wear kneepads on most rides too. After years of riding crashing, the novelty of spending 6 hours in A&E getting them sewn back together has finally worn off.

If you don’t think you need knee/shin pads, you just ain’t fast/gnarly/on-the-edge/pinned as those who do wear them. 🙂

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Everyone knows it’s impossible to crash on an XC ride.

GEDA

I love my knee pads. Keep my knees warm and stop me from bashing my knees against the bars mainly though I did bike through a narrow gate the other month without them on, bit a stone and glanced my knee on the gate post. Been limping since and it would not have happened if I was wearing my pads. Flats are reserved for the pump track and messing around though.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Given the distribution of injuries around my body from bike crashes, and the resultant pain, inconvenience and debilitation, I’m being a bit bloody stupid to carry on riding without knee pads.

If I see some nice ones, I’ll probably buy them.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

though I don’t have any suspension or handlebars.

it’s a unicycle?

direct drive, rather than fixed gear, surely?

hotgospeller

So -technology eh…being unable to show off via downhill skills, expensive/modern bike or extreme athleticism, I decided to take a leaf from the hardy locals I’ve met who ride the trail on singlespeeds, 69ers and fixies and thought hey, cross bike: now that’s a serious statement.

One blown back tyre later and I’ll stick with the good old bicycle of mountains in non-marshy conditions 🙂

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

direct drive, rather than fixed gear, surely?

To be pedantic it’s both, given you can get direct drive with a freewheel (and believe it or not there are a few madmen who’ve installed those in unicycles), and though it wasn’t the one I was referring to I also have a unicycle which isn’t direct drive!

Good deduction though – assuming you didn’t already know I rode one.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘So damn old its knew – or – knee pads or XC…really!!!!???????’ is closed to new replies.