Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • So come on, who is using Strava?!
  • njee20
    Free Member

I guess so then, I’ve got a few segments with 3 people or so, but loads with 100+, depends where you are I guess!

mudshark
    Free Member

Surrey Hills are is overrun with Strava users. IIRC njee20 has a better time than me on Boxhill but hasn’t tried the harder road climbs to the west 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve not got times on White Down or Ranmore (from Dorking) because I only had history for the last few months.

Aidan
    Free Member

I got around to challenging your time on the “Reservoir Descent” at Swinley last night, Nick.

Just pipped you to KOM. In the dark. On a fully rigid singlespeed.

You just got pwned by a STW cliche 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Haha! I noticed that had gone from my list of KOMs, but it’s such a bugger to find them unless you’re KOM! Roll on next years Gorrick Enduro, I’ll get that back, if I work out where it is…!

winterfold
    Free Member

njee LOL at your VAM of 3269 for New Road (8.5% apparently)

I guess there are a few bugs here and there which need sorting out…

winterfold
    Free Member

Does this change my riding next time I am out?

I can see there are quite a few what look like tactical KOM segments which shorten what I consider the legit start and end points of climbs, do you now ride to those to put people you know are slower back in their place?

But more importantly, do I ride balls out up segments I would have tempo’d up to gain a more respectable place in the league tables?

Eg I could do another 2-3kmh up Box Hill if I killed myself and threw up at the top – but that’s what TTs are for isn’t it?

One thing is for sure the dog will get left behind on 3 Amigos, Evian etc from now on 😈

njee20
    Free Member

Yes that ‘New Road’ one is very odd, it’s just near my house, it’s a very slight incline, 3% at most, and yet the profile shows a massive chasm in the middle of the road!

Eg I could do another 2-3kmh up Box Hill if I killed myself and threw up at the top – but that’s what TTs are for isn’t it?

Ride it 2-3kmh harder, but then just keep going at the top, that’s how you get faster 🙂

It would be interesting to know the circumstances surrounding KOMs on some of the busy climbs. Sure the Surrey League 3-day has included a Prologue up the Zig Zags before, imagine that’d be a good chance to get a PB!

mudshark
    Free Member

Njee – yeah I’m sure you’re more than capable of blasting my times on all the climbs!

My best times seem to be on the shorter, steeper road climbs – Coombe Bottom, White Down, Crocknorth and Polesden Lacey, I’m more a sprinter than a climber.

A chap I follow on Strava can’t be much heavier than me but has far higher power outputs than me on climbs I have looked at despite me being significantly faster on them than him. So either he’s put his weight in wrongly or something else is wrong I think – any ideas?

winterfold
    Free Member

Ive noticed a few like that mudshark – and wierd stuff like njee’s road. I think it’s early days and bit buggy.

How do you delete them? I have a KOM on the road from Ewhurst into Cranleigh one where I left the GPS on as I was driving home 😆

mudshark
    Free Member

You can only truncate rides – choose the bit you want to keep so deleting an amount at one or both ends. I wanted to delete a section from the middle where the GPS went wrong so I ended up putting that as two rides.

trickydisco
    Free Member

It does change the way you think about a ride. I found a local hill nr my mums when I went home for the weekend. It’s an absolute brute

http://www.strava.com/segments/buckle-st-climb-682064

600ft in 1.3 miles!

got 4th and then found out the climb was used for the national hill climb championships last year and some of those times are from then

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

You need to work on your “Devils Dyke proper” time Tricky! 😀

Jason
    Free Member

I realise it’s speed. But since nobody else uses it, then I must be KoM on my first ride? (assumed it might take more than 1 ride before it recognises one as the fastest).

If it is not showing up as a segment then you can create one yourself. It is easy to do when you view your ride. Once it is created it will then show all the people who have ridden that climb – it seems to take a while to search it’s database to produce the league table.

Njee, Reservoir Run is the section of the Enduro course that is outside the fence at Swinley. It starts with a sort of pump section (with the reservoir on your right) and then has two downhills seperated by a very short uphill. I see we are joint KOM for the full section, Aidan has beaten you on the downhill part of it.

andytherocketeer

Hmm so it does import etrex gpx (they don’t exactly advertise that until registered). Imported 1 and it decided to make some segments. No idea why for a 23minute climb it decided to take only 2 sections of about 9 minutes each rather than 1 whole climb (only about 100m worth of downhill in the middle).

Search is complete rubbish though. Thinks the page is Polish for starters. Can’t make up its mind whatsoever about ride/run/walk or road/mountain/MTB. Seems a walk and a run match a “mountain ride”, but my rides don’t (although 1 did with no filters) 😕

/me plays some more…

cynic-al
    Free Member

fisherboy – Member
    Exactly the same for me, loving it. only frustating thing about the various times is when a non local/race whippett comes along and posts a really fast time on ‘our’ trails. for instance the fastest time on a local hill has been posted by a south african on holiday. Otherwise best gps type tracker i’ve found.

You mean because it doesn’t automatically make you the best?

I couldn’t find a jpeg of the “Button it, Fatty” but this will have to do:

chakaping
    Free Member

Wow, loads more sections are springing up round my way. Was going to create some when I got home but have been beaten to it.

Managed to get a KOM as well. Do I get to wear one of those spotty jerseys now?

🙂

rootes1

great fun, much more road stuff on it though… only 6th faster across Richmond Park – clearly i need to man up..

http://app.strava.com/rides/3221095#56853214

Fastest up concrete hill though 😉
    http://app.strava.com/segments/937978

chakaping
    Free Member

Why does it say I spent 45mins on a 3 minute climb today? And why does it say the total ride was 32mins when it was an hour?

Does it do this kind of strange stuff for you lot too?

And isn’t it annoying when somebody else has already set up the section that you were going to but they’ve put the start and finish IN THE WRONG PLACE?

mrmo
    Free Member

i am using it along with Garmin Connect and Extomondo, figuring out which i like most, wierd how three different apps come up with different numbers for the same ride using the same phone.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’m struggling with it working (or not).

I have the android app on an HTC Wildfire S and the three times I’ve tried it, it reports truncated rides, big GPS glitches where it’s clearly losing signal and no altitude recorded either. I have no idea if it’s the phone or the software or what, but it’s a shame as I love the idea of it.

Bearing in mind today’s perfect conditions (one would think) for receiving GPS, it’s very disappointing. Anyone else?

calmos
    Free Member

Download an app called ‘tracker booster’. This keeps the phone gps on constantly and should improve things a lot.

lipseal
    Free Member

Just signed up, so will se how it goes?

mdavids
    Free Member

Just signed up last week and loving it.

I uploaded a few of my rides from various trail centres from last year and people have already made sections out of the downhills and climbs. Very interesting to see how you compare and it gives you a great incentive to go back and ride stuff you’ve done before to try and beat your best (or someone else’s) times.

Got quite a few KOM’s but know its only a matter of time before more people upload rides and knock me off the top.

I use memory map pocket nav on an old dell axim pda with a separate gps unit then save the route as a GPX file from my PC when I get back from a ride. Its a very reliable setup but a bit of a faff on as you end up carrying 3 different gadgets. I’ve been looking into getting a smartphone but if the GPS is as unreliable as some have suggested above then I’ll stick with what I’ve got.

andytherocketeer

gave up with it in the end.
    all the sections around here are road ones, and seem to be the default guess start/end points where it created a segment.

I guess is has a lot of potential, where there’s critical mass of users. But around here, the site makes it look like there’s only me. And some roadie that rides 100km to do 1 hill near here. But in reality, there’s shed loads of riders on the trail.

So for my 1 main hill, I’ll just use a watch.
    Still kept the a/c so I can look for inspiration, but can’t see the point logging rides in numerous places.
    edit: and the clubs thing looks like it could use some extra features. like at least some stats or charts or something to compare. seems to be just a chronological list of who’s ridden recently.

cheers_drive

The one thing that concerns me with sharing all my GPS data on Strava or similar sites is that any undesirable can look at by data a work out where I live. I’m sure it wouldn’t be that hard to have an option to erase the first and last 1/2 miles for rides from home.

mrmo
    Free Member

The one thing that concerns me with sharing all my GPS data on Strava or similar sites is that any undesirable can look at by data a work out where I live. I’m sure it wouldn’t be that hard to have an option to erase the first and last 1/2 miles for rides from home.

Strava at least does have the option to crop the ride.

Aidan
    Free Member

It has the option to enter postcodes that you want to keep private and what radius of privacy you want.

Go to your name (at the top of the page), then privacy.

Put in your work, home etc. Then when people look at your rides, the line will stop short of showing where your shiny bike will be every day or night.

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s the etiquette on duplicating sections if you think somebody has put start/ends in the wrong place?

mudshark
    Free Member

No etiquette I’ve noticed, a few near duplicates in the Surrey Hills. E.g. some people take a section to be to the top of the climb whereas others consider it to be to, say, a junction a bit further on.

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘So come on, who is using Strava?!’ is closed to new replies.