Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • So come on, who is using Strava?!
  • lunge

Just signed up, not too many people in the Midlands.

What are the difference between this and somehting like mapmyride?

zilog6128

KOM leaderboards mainly. That, and it doesn’t completely suck like MapMyRide does.

NigE5
    Free Member

On,lots of trails mapped on SH 😥

GregMay
    Free Member

I use it, sorta annoying though as I use a Powertap on the road but its wired and non GPS, pain in the ass to upload as I have to download it, export it as a .tcx then upload it. Arrhggh

But, it is far better than Runkeeper or so on

TexWade
    Free Member

This thread should be closed ASAP – if everybody gets starts lapping Cwm Carn its going to knock me out of the top 5 ! Its my greatest acheivement.

chakaping
    Free Member

I keep losing signal, only recorded the last 6 miles of the last ride I did.

Anyone else had this?

I have patchy GPS reception on all such apps on my Galaxy S2, have installed Tracker Booster and it seems to be improving the pickup by forcing GPS to stay permanently on.

atlaz
    Free Member

I switched to an Edge 500 after one too many phone probs (either dropping connection or running out of power when I needed to make a call). Much better.

njee20
    Free Member

I use it, sorta annoying though as I use a Powertap on the road but its wired and non GPS

Good excuse for a new power meter then!

montarius
    Free Member

Agreed, brilliant site.

I use endomondo for recording my rides (Android) and then just upload then gpx file to Strava. Very straight forward process which seems to work well.

Strava is also a good way to find new trails! (Via segment explorer)

GregMay
    Free Member

Good excuse for a new power meter then!

2 more like it…one in the race wheels for CX/TT’s also. So not going to happen.

Unles syou’d like to buy 2 powertaps? 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I’ll sell you a wireless one 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

I have a Starbar? Will you accept that?

mudshark
    Free Member

power meter – one of the new pedal based ones must be the way to go now?

Endomondo – what does it do that Strava doesn’t?

Jason
    Free Member

I hadn’t heard of it until I saw this post. I have joined up and uploaded the last few month’s rides. It looks good, although I wish I had known about it before as I would have riden some of the segments a bit quicker…

Strangely I am KOM on quite a lot of hills, but they are hills I have only ridden once, and no one else has ridden them. So how did they become Segments? as I haven’t created them.

njee20
    Free Member

power meter – one of the new pedal based ones must be the way to go now?

How come? The Look one isn’t ANT+, so you have to use the Polar head unit, and the Garmin one’s still not out, but is double the price of a PowerTap/Power2Max. Potentially good to swap between bikes, but I’m not sure they’re specifically better than crank/hub based.

GregMay
    Free Member

If someone mentions Brim Brothers and the word Power meter in the same sentence without a smirking face I am going to go mental…70’s tech rehashed.

But yeah, Polar are dead in the water, Garmins Vector – although nice – is overpriced for something you will crash and break. Yes I have broken pedals in crashes.

njee20
    Free Member

All the parts are replaceable, but I agree it’s a lot. Be interested to see what it’s like though. Looks like there’ll be a new firmware update on the Edge 800/500 to ddisplay all sorts of power metrics, no doubt they’ll find a way to stop them working with other ANT power meters!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ohhh, looks ace, I’ll have to sign up once I’ve got my garmin working again.

it doesn’t completely suck like MapMyRide does.

Should make it a winner!

andytherocketeer

Only works with “fitness” type Garmins? Can’t import normal gpx?
    Also only cycling and running?

h4muf
    Free Member

I’m in,uploaded and kickin’ back with a beer 8)

Already king on two segments unwittingly 😯

will
    Free Member

Added you Muf!

Anybody signing up to the “Base Miles” Challenge, the winner has done quite a few since Jan the 6th 😆

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m on the Base Miles thing, I only get out on my bike at the weekend so won’t get a good mileage though will be recording my turbo sessions – don’t usually bother.

langy
    Free Member

yep, just working out a new GPS to use it more fully – my phone gps is crappy and getting worse…

what GPS are folks using? anyone with a edge 200 yet?

njee20
    Free Member

There’s another thread about those. I’d not bother, just looks like a glorified Cateye job! 500s can be had for a sensible price.

excitable1
    Free Member

Sorry, but I think Endomondo is a far better GPS app’ service.

Unlike some of the comments here I’ve never had it drop the GPS signal. I had been using Gpsed on a Blackberry but that’s gone to the wall, constantly drops the signal and doesn’t even allow your time to keep going now..AVOID.

Endomondo allows you to tailor the data to suit different types of cycling and loads of other exercising. It also puts the data into loads of different graphs (if that’s what you’re in to) for instance it will tell you how your times have improved (or not) over 1k, 5k, 15k and 20k over all your rides. When it records it has some really nice features like auto pause, so if you stop for a ‘chat’ to a walker it will pause your route and time. Definitely worth looking at, link below.

http://www.endomondo.com/home

excitable1
    Free Member

…. you can also import all your recorded routes from other app’s !

njee20
    Free Member

Do you work for them?!

IMO neither of them are particularly good for the analytial/training side of it, they can churn out some basic graphs, as can Garmin Connect/Training Centre. Training Peaks is your best bet for an online resource, or offline packages like WKO or Golden Cheetah.

Strava wins my vote purely for the segments, which just adds a whole new element of interest.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup just started – out of the 8 KOM I currenly have 6 only ridden by me 😉 LOL

zilog6128

Sorry, but I think Endomondo is a far better GPS app’ service.

No KOM leaderboards = no sale!!

juan
    Free Member

not yet
    but I’ll start on monday :d

mudshark
    Free Member

I think the segments functionality could be improved by allowing you to see all segments you have a time for in a table with some summary info including your %age position out of all riders. These would then allow you to zoom to the segment pages to see the detail.

On the club pages a table showing all segments that members have a time for with leaders would be nice too – always good to see where you are better than your mates!

mark85xc
    Free Member

Just getting ready for my first Strava ride, going to try to beat my mate’s time of 6:09 for Churwell Hill in Leeds.

I don’t fancy my chances, he was on a road bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Been out for a gentle road pootle as recovering from virus. found i still got 3rd on a couple of hills, so i’ll be out again on that route when feeling better

🙂

winterfold
    Free Member

Its brilliant isnt it? The social/gaming element makes a massive differnet

njee – are you incognito on there? I cant see any n…. j… on rides I thought we’d have in common.

King of Bookhurst Road – get in 😉 And, more sportingly, King of a climb in Nice nr my brother-in-law that will piss him off no end.

I can see the dog has a serious negative effect on my trail performance, it will either to speed up or get left behind when it goes in rabbit holes or after squirrels.

njee20
    Free Member

njee – are you incognito on there?

I’m Nick Evans, NJEE being my initials 🙂

Got times on most of the Surrey Hills segments, on and off road, but I’ve only got the last few months of rides as CSV files.

andytherocketeer

Made an account, and got the app, to see what all teh fuss is about, but not used it in anger yet.
    Seems (at least around here) it’s mainly road riding, with exactly 1 segment. Further afield searching with a filter on “mountain” seems to return road rides along the river 😕 And it’s all abotu bits of rides, rather than whole rides? Thought I was looking for rides that other people had done (for inspiration) but it insisted on showing me 1 single 3km long hill instead.
    I assume if I ride up 1 hill enough times I become KoM regardless because despite it being a busy hill, nobody will ever log it on Strava?

At least endomondo lets me do multiple sports.

mossimus
    Free Member

At least endomondo lets me do multiple sports.

Strava lets you do runs too?

njee20
    Free Member

I assume if I ride up 1 hill enough times I become KoM regardless because despite it being a busy hill, nobody will ever log it on Strava?

It’s nothing to do with how often you ride up it – it’s speed. So if you’re the fastest then you’ll be KOM if you ride it once. Or you could ride it 500 times and still be bottom. You’re quite right about people needing to be Strava users though.

You can get complete rides off it if you want to follow people’s routes, and as above can do running or whatever if you want.

andytherocketeer

I realise it’s speed. But since nobody else uses it, then I must be KoM on my first ride? (assumed it might take more than 1 ride before it recognises one as the fastest).

Only signed up thinking there might be some target times to beat (either uphill or time-trial etc.), which might be more interesting than just km counting. Certainly plenty of cycling terrain (both on and off road) around here, which is often quite busy, but maybe everyone around here uses something else.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘So come on, who is using Strava?!’ is closed to new replies.