Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • So come on, who is using Strava?!
  • Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I’m completely addicted, to the point where the first thing I do when I get back from a ride is upload my GPS file and see where I’ve been!

I particularly like the social features – can see what all my friends have been up to whilst I’ve been on Holiday.

widge34
    Free Member

Me too. Upload a ride then see who’s time I have beaten. If someone has put a ride on Strava with a time that I will ride, I will try and beat that time. Can’t help but try and beat it.
    The final descent of the Verderers trail is on Strava. Jonsey from Dirt mag clocked 2mins 49secs the fastest I’ve done it in is 3.09. I did have Trailrakers on though 😉

fisherboy
    Free Member

Exactly the same for me, loving it. only frustating thing about the various times is when a non local/race whippett comes along and posts a really fast time on ‘our’ trails. for instance the fastest time on a local hill has been posted by a south african on holiday. Otherwise best gps type tracker i’ve found.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Ahh, fisherboy – I’m back in Devon over christmas and I’ve been chasing as many ‘KOMs’ as I can! Made a few segments around my area too, so we’ll see how they stand up when the tourists (or is that tourers?) arrive in the summer.

Just started using it with my heart rate monitor too and its actually pretty useful for training, if you’re into that sorta thing.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Just gone onto their website and clicked the android app link and it’s broken – which isn’t a good start!

Aidan
    Free Member

I’m really enjoying it. Knowing that you’re racing a time on your local singletrack adds some of that race urgency to a normal night ride!

And stats help me to justify running 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I have signed up but my gps is on the blink on my phone. grrrr

AJames
    Free Member

OMG thank god it’s not just me! Conscious that the road climbs I’m against are put up by road boys with too much tarmack under their wheels….

zilog6128

Been using this for the last week. Utterly brilliant!! Love the bike-specific features like being able to track how many miles on each bike & even the miles on each component on your bikes! I’m finding the segment leaderboards great for motivation as well (need more in my area though). Everyone on STW should sign up for this (free) so more segments get mapped and in case they do another club-wide KOM competition like last year.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep I really like it! I have 21 ‘segments’ on my commute, need to get KOM on as many as possible! Loads are about 200 yards long though, and very traffic light dependant.

I’m KOM on about 7 segments, although 3 of them are the same climb at Mayhem, not sure how that works 😕

2 of them are descents too, so they must be very hidden!

zilog6128

I’m KOM on about 7 segments

nice work! There’s only one segment on my commute so far, I’ve been closing on the no. 2 guy and I’m going to be pedaling full-chat tonight to make up those last 24 seconds and overtake him! This is funny to me because normally I’m the least competitive guy ever.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

How does it recognise segments, simply by GPS? E.g. if I incorporate one or more on a route will it record each one without me having to do anything?

Can I create a segment afterwards when I upload my route?

zilog6128

Someone has to create a segment manually in the first instance (bring up a map of your ride then click on the “actions” drop down menu if you want to do this) but then anyone else who rides the same segment (in the same direction) is automatically added to the leaderboard! I’ve not checked but I suspect this would work retroactively as well. Yes, it uses GPS, be it your Garmin/iPhone/Android/whatever.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Thanks I was hoping it was that simple. Signed up for free and will see what happens.

What’s different about the paid verion?

njee20
    Free Member

I was wondering that.

I also don’t really get the power figures – plenty of people seem to have wattages against their times, and it says if you input weight and what not it can give you (estimates of) power. Sometimes there’s a little ‘lightning’ symbol next to it, which I assumed was a proper measured power, but it rarely seems to pull through my PowerTap data.

Not a huge issue as I use WKO3, but seems a bit odd.

The trouble I have is that I can never remember where any of the segments are on my commute – I need to focus on one at a time I think and gradually take over the South-West London/CS7 leaderboard 🙂

zilog6128

I think the paid version has a lot more detailed analysis available, especially if you have HRM/power gizmos. Could be useful for the more serious cyclist. It also lets you filter the leaderboards but tbh there aren’t enough people on there at the moment for that to be necessary.

It’s only £40 or so for the year though so if I carry on using it I’ll sign up. I’d like to see them develop the iPhone app a lot more and I suppose they need an income to do that!

RickyRah
    Free Member

Sometimes there’s a little ‘lightning’ symbol next to it, which I assumed was a proper measured power, but it rarely seems to pull through my PowerTap data.

As you say, the symbol denotes the use of measured power. I don’t have a powertap so can’t comment on any problems pulling in the data though.

It used to be that you could only upload 3 rides a month for free and so it was worth paying for the premium subscription for unlimited uploads. However, now I think the only extra is that you get the ‘suffer score’ and more detailed HR/power analysis. Not really sure what this is though.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve been using it since the summer, had a free 3 months with the paid for features and don’t think they give me much of interest.

How about setting up a STW club on there?

BTW, some people are wary of recording rides right from their house but there’s a security option for this where you can hide postcodes.

njee20
    Free Member

How about setting up a STW club on there?

Good idea, done!

HERE.

Hopefully it’ll work…

Aidan
    Free Member

Need other people to join that club now… it looks lonely with just me and Nick 😳

njee20
    Free Member

Couldn’t find an appropriately sized logo either – we’re anonymous!

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ll join later as can’t access from here. If there’s only a few maybe I’ll have some of the best times on some of the Surrey Hills climbs…!

njee20
    Free Member

Nah, I’m in the Surrey Hills, KOM of Leith Hill 🙂

Edit: no I’m not, some bugger’s taken it off me.

Alright then… I uploaded the history that was on my Garmin, which was about 3 months worth, but it doesn’t seem to have retrospectively applied my segment times for all rides, any idea why? Like my Leith Hill time, I’m sure I’ve been quicker up that than I was a couple of weeks ago and yet it reckons that’s my quickest time. Ditto I don’t appear in certain segments that I’ve definitely ridden, is it very sensitive as to start and finish points?

will
    Free Member

I love Strava, but go through phases.

Not used it for a week now, aminly because I think it was using a fairbit of data on my phone.

Just updated my profile with last weeks rides, and joined the STW group. I’ll starting using it again now I think 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

The segment matching can be a bit hit and miss though mostly OK – often due to the GPS location being recorded wrongly at times. If you look at the Boxhill sections you’ll see some of the fastest guys have got times when they are descending – I think on the middle section. It must be getting better as times for Coombe Bottom have improved – the end points sometimes got messed up due to the tight final corner.

Nah, I’m in the Surrey Hills, KOM of Leith Hill

OK, maybe you’re a bit faster than me…!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Just uploaded a few routes. I love it! found I’m KOM for a local climb (blagdon) and a few 2nd and 1sts.

mudshark
    Free Member

My parents are in Church Stretton, not many Strava users around there so easy to get a few KOMs unlike Surrey…Boxhill must have the most Strava times in the UK, anywhere else have more?

Aidan
    Free Member

Nick – I think they process segment times in the background, so your historical rides might turn up as segments sometimes in the next day or so.

mudshark
    Free Member

IME they only take a few minutes to appear – well less than 30 anyway.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I suppose we can settle the age old argument about quick times around cwm carn

http://app.strava.com/segments/884827

Think i need to get down there 🙂

will
    Free Member

Logo?

jbwilliamz
    Free Member

I’m on there. Although I’m confined to South Wales.

huw
    Free Member

Been using it for some time but don’t always upload my rides onto there. KOM for the Rhigos climb at the moment and a few other lesser known ones, and I’m no roadie.

stevenc
    Free Member

I’m using it with with the iPhone app. It’s working well for me so far :)Havent won any of the KOM or anything, but I’m liking it.

rootes1

wondered what all the fuss was about – keep hearing about Stava this and that.

well signed up… quite clever isn’t it!

I uploaded a couple of garmin plots Got 6th fastest across the top of Richmond park on my commute in from Woking to London

http://app.strava.com/rides/3221164#56855308

scratch
    Free Member

Bah, got the app for my touch the other day but I keep losing signal, only recorded the last 6 miles of the last ride I did.

Anyone else had this? It was stashed at the bottom of my work bag though, I’ll chuck it in the jersey pocket next time.

atlaz
    Free Member

If you have a track that isn’t plotting against the segment you know it should be, you can raise a ticket and they’ll sort it. Sometimes the GPS freaks out and puts a random plot in the wrong place which leaves you unable to “join” the segment; like I said though, they’ll fix it for you.

Looks like more miles are needed.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

the times for my local climbs seem pretty slow…think i might go out at the weekend and bag a few KOTM points before the website really catches on 😀

zilog6128

became KOM on my commute home yesterday (Crab & Winkle). Woohoo!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘So come on, who is using Strava?!’ is closed to new replies.