Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 214 total)
  • So, can Fred/Elfin be allowed back now please?
  • bamboo
    Free Member

Been a better forum since the ban imo

Woody
    Free Member

Christ Al. are you sure it was just a drink you had with him 😉

neilnevill
    Free Member

His real life and on-line persona are rather different, and until you’ve met him for real it can be tough to ‘enjoy’ his on-line character. Although I always rather liked him….generally 😉

stumpyjon

Not too fussed seeing him back either, other’s may be opinionated but at least they seem a bit genuine, he just seemed to go out of his way to wind people up.

Pieface

Seems like only yesterday mister cynic and fred were at each others throats, what changed?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t know why he affected that spelling thing, he is actually very clever.

Is that why he got banned ? He did explain the reason for his spelling once. When he was younger he struggled with his spelling so he would write phonetically, partly as a joke to cover up his poor spelling I believe. As he got older his spelling improved but as he had got quite good at writing phonetically, and it amused him, he carried on. I quite liked it, and all the more so because it wound up petty pretentious people who like to endlessly moan and whinge about the most trivial things imaginable.

I’ve preferred the place without him to be honest.

It would be interesting to see how his ban has affected forum activity, since the central charge laid against him appears to have been “negative use of the forum”, unless I’m mistaken.

Personally I would be very surprised if it has indeed had any effect. I generally find the forum a little less interesting and probably post a bit less as a result. But then I also miss the likes of AdamG and Lanesra, so I presumably find disreputable people interesting.

cynic-al
    Free Member

spacemonkey – Member
    Nothing to ‘get over’. Merely stating an opinion.

You seem to be a pretty wound-up primate, in my opinion.

Karinofnine

I read somewhere that the things we most dislike in other people are the things we dislike in ourselves. It’s a good opportunity to have a little internal appraisal.

But I know he went on and on and on too.

By gang, I didn’t mean the ‘big hitters’, I meant those of us who had met for rides specifically and, I suppose, everyone else generally. As I said, I have a ‘group’ feeling about this place because I think we all have something in common, apart from humanity of course.

I must go to bed, it’s waaaaay past my bed time. Good night all.

Kevevs
    Free Member

It’s obvious from this thread that Fred has an effect on people here for good or for bad. God knows he can get on peoples/my tits. The main thing that keeps drawing me back to stw is the different characters and to see what’s goin on and what opinions people have on stuff and all the little arguments AND agreements (and to ask or maybe answer questions about bikes stuff obviously!) That’s what makes this chat forum interesting to me, and Fred was one of the more interesting parts of STWs rich tapestry.

Northwind

I liked most of his contributions… But did he not go absolutely bat**** crazy after he got banned? Seems like he burned his bridges in that case

neilnevill
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/LmutXJUfACw[/video]

edit:
    damn, how do you do that video embedding thing!

Pieface

Whatever he said, someone else responded and many threads turned into bickering matches between him and someone else. On many occasions people would tell them to go away and discuss it via PM but they couldn’t resist and just ruined the discussion for everyone else.

Not why I come here so their absence (for the reason above) is an improvement for me

Gary_C

The forum is a far, far better place without him.

Good riddance.

spacemonkey

the central charge laid against him appears to have been “negative use of the forum”,

We’re being modded by Scotland Yard are we now?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not that I’m aware of – why to do say that ?

Because you want to make a petty pedantic point ?

LittleTones
    Free Member

generally I liked the old boy, he did have this tendency however to wind everybody up to a fever pitch which could have kept the average punter at bay from the forum. I’ve always tended to have sat back and left the bighitters to get on with things though when this was happening. On the other hand I can understand why Mark might be a bit fed up with Fred and why he got banned.

Kevevs
    Free Member

there are people on here whose point of view and opinion I sometimes strongly disagree with, they may not swear or call people nasty names or whatever but I may not like where they are coming from. Ce la vie. But Fred can’t let it go. I reckon he is an ex-fred cos the mods just can’t handle someone so naggingly forthright and neverending in their opinions. It’s just not “STW” brand. and yeah, he can take over cos he’s bored, he can lose the plot sometimes, then it blows over and he’s “back in the room”. So what? It all adds to this peculiar forum to me. bring on the Freds, it’s good to get another perspective no? I suppose cos I know him quite well I have a different view on this.

cynic-al
    Free Member

spacemonkey – Member

It’s less consistent IME

druidh
    Free Member

Some of you are living in cloud-cuckoo land.

Do you actually believe that suggesting one of the STW staff might be a paedophile is (a) acceptable or (b) likely to be forgotten?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’d hope the place would be run on less personal grounds, what wiv dem rules and all…

nealglover
    Free Member

His real life and on-line persona are rather different

What’s the point in that then ?

This is a mountainbike forum, not an improv class.

spacemonkey

Lighten up Ernie.

Ambrose

Is that why he was banned? If so he deserves it.

loum
    Free Member

He was an interesting poster and certainly not as abusive as some others on here have been. Also he would argue against the mob mentallity that can happen here, if he believed in something.
    Plus he organised group rides, quite a positive on an mtb forum.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I dunno Ambrose tbh.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

His real life and on-line persona are rather different

Yup, in real life he talks more. At least on a forum you can get a word in edgeways by posting something.

I’ve yet to hear of someone meeting him and not liking him btw.

nonk
    Free Member

i had some good yarns with the elf and a few petty squabbles an all.

but over all the forum is better since the elf was snared thrown in a sack and sent from the shire.

and anyways he will always find an outlet for it.

holds bevy aloft to the elf.

emsz
    Free Member

personally I always found him OK, a little weird, but OK. funny.

I can see why he got “banned” though, There was a girl on another forum I use, just the same, argued all the time about everything, really got on a few girls tits and the mods (and lets be honest, all the decent forums have mods) just got rid of her cos it was too much like hard work keeping up with her.

live by the sword, die by he sword and all that

brakes
    Free Member

shouldn’t this be in the Wanted forum?

aracer
    Free Member

Haven’t we already had this thread a few times?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Haven’t we already had this thread a few times?

It’s a well loved classic thread aracer.

To be treasured along with other threads such as, what vacuum cleaner, trade unions, people you hate on TV, what is there to do/see in London, other road users who upset you on the way to work, useless politicians, show us your dog, etc.

I just can’t get enough of a good subject matter.

mcboo
    Free Member

I like it here, good place to come for a natter/advice/argument.

Fred is a self obsessed little turd and I hope he is banned for life.

Kato

Until I sas this thread, I hadn’t even realised he’d gone!

_tom_
    Free Member

I liked elf, he’s funny and didn’t seem to take the place seriously like some do. And he said nice things about one of my photos that was all out of focus and blurry.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mcboo – Member

Fred is a self obsessed little turd and I hope he is banned for life.

That’s rather offensive mcboo – why do you feel the need to talk like that ?

As it happens I’ve got a fairly low opinion of you, I wouldn’t however use metaphors such as “little turd” to describe you. Nor would I want you banned for that matter.

So why don’t cut out the distasteful language and make this place a little bit more pleasant ? 💡

Squidlord
    Free Member

Could I politely ask everyone to read this and then move on, please?

mcboo
    Free Member

No I don’t feel the need to sugar coat thanks Ernie. While we’re being honest, you aren’t my favourite in these parts either but I wouldn’t accuse you of being a bully or deliberately setting out to spoil the forum, though if you reduce your average post length to under 3000 words we’d all appreciate it. TJ another one who I have locked horns with and who gets a lot of stick on here, but again adds much more than he detracts.

Fred I had to make a rule of ignoring after while, which clearly I am breaking here. If I was feeling charitable I’d say he needs to go talk to someone.

Kevevs
    Free Member

haha McBoo get a grip and relax man! wow this forum is serious shizzle!

deluded
    Free Member

Personally, I liked him.

I knew when to appreciate his posts and when to not take them so seriously – the London gezza vernacular amused me no end.

He was a supportive of some good causes on here and often displayed a humanist touch.

No matter how you get around it, if people are debating the fella’s absence a good month after he was banned …. well, that might tell you something … better him than some boring git droning on about what tyres at Afan.

I think if given the opportunity he’d come back into the fold, chastened and moderated.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No I don’t feel the need to sugar coat thanks Ernie.

So I noticed. My question was why the need to use such distasteful language ?

….if you reduce your average post length to under 3000 words we’d all appreciate it.

No I haven’t got any plans to do that. Have you considered not reading my posts ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 214 total)

The topic ‘So, can Fred/Elfin be allowed back now please?’ is closed to new replies.