Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • So are Dyson vacs really any good?
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

Our dyson is great at getting pet hairs out the carpets. its 10 years old now and has had a battering and is still going strong.

PePPeR

We have 3 vacuums, one George, Its 15 years old and was used daily for car valeting, for 10 years! (Georges are Henrys with a pump for water in them). We have a normal Henry which is used in the workshop and is totally abused (poor thing) and we have a DC04 for the house, apart from wear and tear on things like hoses none have them have ever gone wrong.

They are just vacuums we use them and abuse them, end of story.

catnash
    Free Member

I have a DC08 animal for the last 4 years, it’s done a lot of work, banged about we have 2 border collies, often at the beach, mud in the house etc. It’s a great performer, cheap to run. The Henry we had for a year before was OK found it good but nothing compared to the DC08. The henry is relegated to the garage.

Christowkid
    Free Member

A few weeks after buying our orginal Dyson, got a call which resulted in what turned out to be a vacuum cleaner salesman visit. It lasted over 2 hours (!) but was totally fascinating. It was for Magestic FilterQueens, which is in another league in performance and another galaxy on price!!!!
    I learn’t what a “Crevice Nozzle” is, the thing had a Lazy Duster that creates a vortex of air in the room, sucking in the dusty stuff and removing dust, you could even use it as a paint sprayer for the car.
    The ‘display’ ended up with him vacuuming our bed to show what dust mite crap looks like…..
    totally stunning machine, gobsmacking price, lifetime guarantee but if we’d bought it ( then equivalent of 4 Dysons ) after 4 Dysons, it would be cost effective. They’d even refund the price of our new one cos they hadn’t seen that ( then new ) model before. Baby no. II had just arrived, so no chance.
    We’re now just watching dyson 2 die……..
    hey ho……

Why do Miele use bags? it just seems old technology now.
    Q

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

We’re on our second Dyson. The first one was a grey and yellow pile of crap.Got a mate at the local tip that financed his holidays,by stripping and refurbing Dysons. Unbelievably Wife of Riley bought a Dyson Ball,which is even worse. Horrible ,flimsy thing that very quickly lost its’ initial cleaning power.
    Surprised that there’s been no mention of Panasonic.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

No, get a Miele one.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Got a Vax now as the original Dyson wasn’t as good

GrahamS

Dyson DC05 here.

Had it for years and never had an issue with it. Used it so suck up tons of sawdust when we were sanding our floorboards and it didn’t miss a beat.

Light enough to carry in one hand while doing the stairs. Telescopic tube, three end attachments plus a motorised head. And proper washable HEPA filters.

And it could suck my nob clean off if I wasn’t careful. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe some models are bad and some are better?

Strangelove
    Free Member

if you really want to deep clean you need a steam cleaner.
    Get one that acts as a vacuum as well. The steam dislodges all the dirt, kills all the bugs and then the vacuum bit sucks it all up
    These people (Allergy matters)) are a good place to look

GrahamS

if you really want to deep clean you need a steam cleaner.

I think that might take the varnish off my floorboards 🙂

mildred

Used to work for Comet and sold Dyson, Miele, electrolux, Hoover – in fact most of the major brand names.

Didn’t have more problems with dyson than any of the others, though sold hell of a lot more than any of the others. We did, however, get a lot of Miele’s back.

I own a Dyson DC07 and this cope admirably with me, the labrador and two toddlers.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Personally got a Dyson (got purple on it and 8 “cyclones”?) upright and would never get a Henry because, although it looks cute, it is a cylinder vacuum cleaner. I like something with a brush that makes an effort to drag sh1t out and not just suck.
    Seen loads of scrapped Dysons at the tip but know lots of people who love them.
    Maybe they just sell bl00dy thousands of them and that is why lots get thrown away (by people getting a “better” one)?
    Just a guess but I like mine.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Nilco are good if you can get one. Only available via trade suppliers though – I think.

Built in Germany and last for ever, well so far anyway.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Dyson user here and had one of the originals which lasted years. Just got a dc25 Overdrive (Comet special) with a ‘the ball’ and I’m really impressed. Pics up very well, easy to use, good range of tools, etc. Also have a dc05 in a flat I own and its fine good for a cylinder cleaner.

hot_fiat

Have had a DC02 for 13 years. Unbelievably good, has been dropped down stairs, fallen out of the car, been used to hoover up oil, petrol (by accident; was trying to sypon some), pond water, building rubble, can strap it to my woodworking kit’s dust extractor and leave it running all day and it just keeps on going.

Me bro has a DC23 Animal which is just as indestructable.

Me mum & dad have a dc01 which is complete trash: clogs all the time due to the shape of the air channels, changing the belt requires an MEng and the hose suction power is limted by a stupid safety valve. I’ve heard similar reports about most of the uprights.

My gut feeling is that the cylinders are ace and the uprights are overpriced landfill-in-the-waiting.

catnash
    Free Member

And I’ve got an Earlex combivac, cheap wet&dry vac which is also great, cleans up wet leaves, water on the patio. Blocked washing machines radiators…

Inbred456
    Free Member

Get a SEBO,that’s what the majority of prof carpet cleaners use. They have two motors, one for the brush bar and one for the vac. Mine was 22yrs old when the case finally cracked when I dropped it. Went out bought another for about 220 quid. Check the forums nobody has a bad word to say about them. We have a Lab and two cats. It’s the only thing that has been able to cope with muddy footprints and pet hair.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve had a DC07 for a few years and had no problems with it other than the drive belt snapping which I can cope with. I suppose many of us get swept along with the hype for them – I was in two minds until I saw one at a good price and before I knew it I’d bought it!

GrahamS

would never get a Henry because, although it looks cute, it is a cylinder vacuum cleaner. I like something with a brush that makes an effort to drag sh1t out and not just suck.

The DC05 is a cylinder, but it has a motorised brush head like an upright.

My sister-in-law is German and she asked us once why the British were so stuck on upright vacuum cleaners. She made the entirely sensible point that cylinders were much lighter and far easier to use when cleaning stairs, curtains, mattresses, cars, etc. Plus it is far easier to store.

Never bought an upright after that conversation.

Trivia: Hoover used to have the tagline “Beats as it sweeps as it cleans” but they dropped it when they realised that the “beating” was ruining carpets 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a dyson that has been used and abused for 15 yrs – it gets indigestion with sawdust and builders rubble but otherwise has been fine.

myheadsashed

I have a dyson but the engineers at work get henrys to vac up brick dust etc when working in offices never had one breakdown, I think I’d get a henry next time.

Nilfisk are about the best but you pays your money……………

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

DC04 10 years. But don’t vacuum much 😳
    I;d get a Henry but the GF says she wont use something that looks like a cartoon character.

T1000
    Free Member

comments about lots of Dysons at tip etc, not surprising as they sell loads more that all the other makes mentioned on here.

one good thing with a Dyson is it’s repairable, with spares available for most component parts

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Really LOL!!
    64 posts from a bunch of rufty-tufty mountain bikers about vacuum cleaners?? 😉

Oh, and Dysons are crapadoody!
    No idea what we have now…MrFC’s job!! 8)

Gary_M
    Free Member

Dysons are crapadoody Care to expand on that insightful comment.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Yep, ours blew up!!! 8)

mrsflash
    Free Member

Henry.

AndyP
    Free Member

Terrible IME. Had 3, all abysmal. Miele far, far superior.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘So are Dyson vacs really any good?’ is closed to new replies.