So are Dyson vacs really any good?

Home Forum Chat Forum So are Dyson vacs really any good?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • So are Dyson vacs really any good?
  • RooleyMoor

yes. I think we’ve got the DC04 model. It’s very good. Had it for 8 years now, just needed a slight rebuild a couple of years ago after i’d vacuumed up part of the carpet.

RudeBoy

Flimsy plastic junk. Get a Henry.

<THREAD CLOSED>

Junkyard

rubbish get something else

loddrik

Superb, but can suffer reliability problems, we took out a 5 year ext warranty with dyson for a fiver a month for the first year so if anything breaks they just replace it.

djglover

We’ve had one for 7 years and its just started to overheat regularly. Going to get a Miele next, well now.

Premier Icon vinnyeh
    Subscriber

Henry if you find you’re regularly vacuuming up sand, sawdust, odd piles of rubble ie if you’re renovating a house.

A miele for everything else.

Dyson schmyson.

snaps

Not very good, we had three industrial Dysons for the office cleaners at work – loads of warrenty repairs & they all packed up in under two years – replaced with Hoover Aquamasters & they’re still going strong with zero issues.

zaskar

Works well but very weak if you go for multi-colours.

I claimed all the time in the 3 yr warranty from the dam thing breaking bits while in use.

Cleaning was very good though.

RudeBoy

MrNutt speaks Great Wisdom…

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

i got a henry last time we had to get a new vac.
    i did the right thing.
    you should too.

Early Dysons worked well but they didn’t now enough about designing for reliabilty, that’s all sorted now and they come with a 5 yr guarantee. I would reccommend a DC25 (on offer in Comet at the moment).
    Meile’s are well made but will cost you 2 or 3 times the purchasing cost over it’s lifetime in bag cost.
    Unless your a builder don’t bother with a Henry – cheap and tough but a large percentage of the dust will get blown back into the room which kind of defeats the point.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Just to buck the trend. Had a DC01 for 12 years… never missed a beat.

However, as there is only one carpet in the house so it hasn’t got many miles on the clock.

Premier Icon jamesgarbett
    Subscriber

And if so which model?

Or something else?

woffle

No.

We’ve got a Sebo and it’s fantastic – lasted through the renovations we’ve been doing over the last 2 years
    sucking up dust, soot, bricks, wood with no complaints.

Our local Dyson dealer also sells Miele and Sebo and he has a Sebo which was recommendation enough for us. He says Dyson repairs keep him in business…

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Another Sebo user. Proper vacuum, doesn’t need a face on it to market it, just vacuums properly.

ben.t

I’d rate our Sebo, quality without a miele price (nearly tho!)

Dyson, hoover once, empty into a bag to go in the bin, then have to hoover it all again. Messy!

RooleyMoor

ours only needed rebuilding as I used to vac up all the plaster / wallpaper that i’d stripped off the wall at the old house… I think an industrial one would have struggled too!

Premier Icon on and on
    Subscriber

I went to the local tip today to drop off some garden stuff.
    they had 11 broken Dysons lined up by a skip 🙂 .

I made a point of counting them so i could tell the wife

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

We have one of the pet hair cylinder ones, with two turbine brushes. It’s really good. The only other one we saw with a turbine brush was a Miele one and that looked like a pretty pathetic affair. And you only got one, we have a big one for carpets and a small one for stairs and sofas etc.

I really like mine. Oh and ignore the max fill line on the cylinder. It works fine until the thing is almost full about 3x more than the max line indicates.

used to have a Dyson – now got a Sebo – only way to go – Dyson doesn’t compare

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Subscriber

Our Henry has been through more abuse than any hoover deserves to suffer and is still going strong. It’s fallen off scaffolding, been used to clean out hot ashes, been filled with water (not related to the ashes!), and is presently proving useful cleaning up building rubble.

fauxbyfour

Sthil, sucks the carpet from the underlay.

Lionheart

Our local re-cycle tip manager showed me around last year (it happens if you appear ‘too’ interested) and he showed me the ISO container full of Dysons (hundreds of the things), he told me he sends the container to a company in London every 3 months who pay a couple of hundred pounds for the spares. He told me they have a few of the others but had not seen a Henry for years. Our Henry has been around for 10 years plus, two house re-builds, looked so sad after one I bought a Miele which was good in a BMW -ish way, lasted three years, before Henry was brought back into the house. so a Henry

johnners

Henry. You can use it to clear up the bits that fall off Dysons as they (not so) gradually disintegrate.

Just don’t buy a Hoover. Worst thing ever, wouldn’t pick up, overheated and cut out and was basically just an ineffective POS.

antigee

the_lecht_rocks – Member
    miele.

on hols last week and agree

at home we are on our lost count of number of dysons because mrs antigee believes they are great but only vacs the area of carpet in front of the fireplace
    HEAVY SH1TE and despite claims more powerful than a whirlwind they spend all their time ripping the top layer off the carpet and will not WILL NOT pick up grit or anything heavier than a 2.5mm long piece of spag’ CRAP CRAP CRAP

antigee

and F’ING NOISY

Have a DC7 and frankly unimpressed. Too blasted complicated with removable plumbing tubes and fittings all over. It’s now stuck together with gaffa-tape because half the clippy things have broken and seals failed.

Premier Icon 2unfit2ride
    Subscriber

Another Sebo user here, we use a Henry at work, & always have done for the last 20+ years, I think we are on our third, & that makes them the toughest out there!
    Henry’s are crude though, I wouldn’t use one in the house, Sebo’s are just very well designed & work well, what more could you ask?

Another happy Sebo user, ours has been going strong since 1993, it sucks!! 😀

Surfr

Like Harry our DC01 is going fine except I had to buy a replacement handle fron ebay when ours broke. It’s not the greatest vacuum in the world though. I’d be interested in trying a Henry given they get rave reviews everywhere you look from people using them to destruction, except they don’t destruct!

AdamW

Got a DC04 and after a single issue with the tube it is still going strong after 6 years.

Vendor told me that he was fixing a lot of dysons. He also, after a lot of prodding, told me he SOLD a lot of them. As a result he’s more like to fix them. If you only sell one Miele a year then it is unlikely you’ll need to fix it. If you sell a bazillion dysons then you’re more likely to seem ’em back. Simple statistics really.

bikemonkey

Don’t give it too much thought. It’s just an implement for picking up rubbish from your floor. There are far more interesting things to devote your time and effort to.

Creg

A mate of mine dropped his down the stairs so claimed on his insurance and got a replacement. The rotor housing on the dropped one is all that is broken on it.

Ive had it in my house for 2 years now (the dropped one), gets regular use and works a treat..after being dropped.

Premier Icon stevomcd
    Subscriber

Got a DC05 here. Been used for 7 years domestically and now 2 years of cleaning up after mountain bikers/snowboarders around a big chalet. Still going strong. Actually, it cut out today for the first time ever but I think the filter just needs cleaned – haven’t done that since, well, ever…

nukeproof

Don’t give it too much thought. It’s just an implement for picking up rubbish from your floor. There are far more interesting things to devote your time and effort to.

Exactly. Its just a vacuum cleaner FFS. 🙄

(Have a DCO8 Allergy and a DC16 handheld but still agree with my comment above 🙂 )

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Utterly underwhelmed by Miele – great for 10secs until the bag clogs up then next to useless.

My DC05 Motorhead does need regular fixing, but seems OK. Not the greatest at picking big stuff up but at least it doesn’t need it’s bag changing every 5 minutes and the filters are good – pretty much no dust gets re-circulated.

Innes

We have a Dyson Ball, it is great, very easy to use, and works really well.

We had a DC01 for years it was great as well.

We have a Henry, it just doesn’t like picking up dog hair from a carpet, good for cleaning the car though.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

and will not WILL NOT pick up grit or anything heavier than a 2.5mm long piece of spag’

Hmm, this is strange. I’ve had two dysons (one I gave away still working, traded it for a more powerful later model) and never had any issues. They are the cylinder kind tho not the uprights, current one is a DC20 animal. It picks up all sorts of things – leaves, bits of food, clothes tags, sweet wrappers, anything I can’t be bothered to bend down to pick up. Also various things I didn’t want it to pick up such as Mrs Grips earrings etc. Seems to have great picking up poiwer to me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘So are Dyson vacs really any good?’ is closed to new replies.