Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 493 total)
  • So an On One Codiene just fell onto my doormat…
  • gamerriley
    Free Member

YHM

No… YHM

brant
    Free Member

no YHM etc.

gamerriley
    Free Member

Thanks Brant, much appreciated.

plus-one

Brant… Would you have any idea when the option to spec xt brakes may happen ?

brant
    Free Member

Brant… Would you have any idea when the option to spec xt brakes may happen ?

It’s not happening. After much discussion, we aren’t going to offer XT brakes on the Codeine as that will utterly mix up our XT groupsets we’ve bought, on programmed orders, to build XT bikes.

Then there’s the issue of clamps.

But more than that… we have ridden them back to back with X0 Trail, and the X0 Trail out perform them.

krispe
    Free Member

Brant…

What’s the wheel base on the medium and large frames? If you are riding a medium at 6’1″ what length stem are you using? I’m 5’11 but not sure if I’d be best on a large with a 50mm stem rather than a medium with a 70mm???? Everyone seems to be banging on about ‘forward geometry’, i.e. longer top tube short stem. My previous full suss’ have been large frames with 24″ top tubes and 70mm stems, although my current Cotic Soul is a Medium, which is great fun for my 2 hour rides round the woods but possibly a touch short on long days out in the saddle..

brant
    Free Member

If you are riding a medium at 6’1″ what length stem are you using?

I ride medium with a 35mm El Guapo stem.

Large WB 1185mm
    Medium WB 1160mm

rollsroyce
    Free Member

Fingers crossed my not so spotless credit history doesn’t scupper the order I’ve just placed for one of these frames! Tense 24 hours till I find out.

brant
    Free Member

Everyone seems to be banging on about ‘forward geometry’,

Forward Geometry 29ers?

It’s balance.

Off to bed.

Shackleton

Still a bit confused by the geometry and sizing. How does the seat angle affect the TT length at pedaling height?

I’m 6ft with a 35″ inside leg and ride an old old heckler with a 595mm TT and 70mm stem and an 18″ original style 456 with 140mm Pike 454s also with 70mm stem. Both bikes run 745mm bars. They both feel a bit short in the TT but are great going down and the heckler certainly feels like my weight is a bit far back when pedaling.

According to the size chart and what has been said above I should get a medium Codeine but that would have a TT+stem length of 635mm, a good 30mm shorter than my already slightly short feeling bikes. Am I missing something?

Cheers,

S

STATO
    Free Member

The steep seat angle means the bike is designed for climbing and descending. Your expected to be standing if not going uphill, there will be someone along soon to say that’s how you should ride/why would you ride anywhere flat blah blah. Basically like you I think it’s too short for just riding, I’m sure it’s great if every moment of your riding is joining like in the video.

brant
    Free Member

According to the size chart and what has been said above I should get a medium Codeine but that would have a TT+stem length of 635mm, a good 30mm shorter than my already slightly short feeling bikes. Am I missing something?

You don’t have to run a 35mm stem. I do. A 50 would still be “short”.

The seat angle thing means that for every one degree you end up with a top tube that’s half an inch shorter from the back.

Reach is the dimension of the top of the head tube from the Bb centre. But actually that is a fallible dimension as it’s affected by head tube lengths or rather position of stem on steerer tube

You are sounding like you want an all day steady away riding around bike.

That’s not what a Codeine is.

I am confident and really happy with the sizing on it. 6’6″ lads riding and loving the large. Shorter bearded test rider put a lot of time into the small. I was always happy with my medium.

zx1200r
    Free Member

Just sorted the finance :-)so hopefully they’ll be letting you know my blue build pre-order is a go. I assume the deal you got from sram means Hope brakes are not an option otherwise love the build and I have to say I have no experience with Avids, I just like those Hope tech3 E4 beauties. I’ve tried 2-29ers, the Tallboy and gyro, both were more agile than I expected but pedal bashing on the Tallboy was a pain does the Codeine ride a touch higher?

Northwind

Seems like the 29er El Goppo will be a better match for riders less into the winch/drop thing?

macias
    Free Member

It is funny there, but the size guide came back to the odd one. I hope this is just a mistake 🙂

brant
    Free Member

macias – Member
    It is funny there, but the size guide came back to the odd one. I hope this is just a mistake
    POSTED 42 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

If I get arrested tomorrow, will it be manslaughter or murder?

macias
    Free Member

Sorry On-One guys…

@Brant – YHM.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

Finance accepted on a white medium frameset. Can’t wait! Will I have it in time for the grizedale enduro in may I wonder?

frood
    Free Member

brant – Member
    Hello.

Reach Dimensions – horizontal from BB centre to top of head tube.
    16in – 395mm
    18in – 408mm
    20in – 430mm

Which to compare with a typical 73deg seat angle gives effective top tube lengths of:-
    16in – 600mm (23.6in)
    18in – 610mm (24in)
    20in – 630mm (24.8in)

The actual “angle of the seat tube” is 70.5deg, and it’s offset forward about 35mm. This gives a 73.5deg seat angle at average saddle height. Interestingly, even with 6in of difference in saddle height, the seat position only varies by 3mm fore or aft of a “virtual seat angle”. So whilst yes, a taller saddle will have a slacker seat angle, the actual seat angle you’ll feel only varies by 0.5deg. So shorties will get a 74deg seat angle, and lanky sods end up at 73deg. Which is why the larger size gets a greater top tube length difference to allow people that want to move forward a bit to move forward without getting things too short.

Oh yes – I guess you can see that the seat tube is straight – it’s a key point – as I wanted people to be able to drop a full length 400mm post right down, so those of us that can’t afford (or don’t want) a dropper post aren’t hampered by the saddle in the way. I see quite a few bikes out there that don’t have this, and it’s just a bit rubbish I think. Post diameter is 31.6mm. Our Neil runs a 30.9mm post with a shim – they are out there. The seat tube is externally butted at the top to guard against the odd cracking you can get on frames where you don’t have some seatstays supporting the seat tube.

Chainstay length came in at 440mm, 17.3in. Which gives 6mm clearance between the corner of a Smorgasbord the edge of the chain stay, at the narrowest point. Proper tyres. Proper clearance.

The suspension is optimised for a 32t chainring. 34t will work. 30t would as well I think (we’ll check), but 32t offers absolutely perfect performance in terms of anti-squat. The bike climbs incredibly well with a fully open shock, without any requirement for lockout or propedal.

Might seem like a daft question, but why is it being specced with a 30T if it’s optimised for a 32T?

brant
    Free Member

Might seem like a daft question, but why is it being specced with a 30T if it’s optimised for a 32T?

We had ridden extensively with 32/36, and 30/42 was great too.

DeeW
    Free Member

Sat on one of the full builds yesterday and I was impressed, decent clearance at the rear with a big tyre, looking generally tidy and well put together. Good looking bike.

I’d be very tempted to get one but deal breaker for me without a proper test ride to change my mind (never ridden a 29er before) would be the stack height: big wheels + proper fork + external headset puts the bars really high. Stack height on the on-one headset is big . Brant: are their any other lower stack heaset options? Can’t help thinking a different headtube to take an internal headset would make a lot of sense on these.

Do bear in mind that I like to run my bars lower than most, but I’d imagine almost everyone running these will end up slamming the stem and running flat bars.

brant
    Free Member

Brant: are their any other lower stack heaset options? Can’t help thinking a different headtube to take an internal headset would make a lot of sense on these.

Do bear in mind that I like to run my bars lower than most, but I’d imagine almost everyone running these will end up slamming the stem and running flat bars.

You could run an FSA headset that does tapered/internal with the tapered steerer, but it would only give you about 8mm drop.

Flat bars and slammed stem are the best way for shorter riders on big 29ers.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

Any update Brant on when these will be in stock? I Ordered a white medium frame. Can’t wait!

brant
    Free Member

Showing 5th May on my system.

frood
    Free Member

DeeW – Member
    Sat on one of the full builds yesterday and I was impressed, decent clearance at the rear with a big tyre, looking generally tidy and well put together. Good looking bike.

Where?

DeeW
    Free Member

Where?

Sheffield Planet-X store. Think it was the personal bike of one of the guys that works there. I asked nicely and they fetched it from ‘out the back’.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

5th of May sounds good! Thanks Brant.

zx1200r
    Free Member

Hi Brant, earlier in this thread (page 2) you agreed that shimano brakes will be an option on the build. Any chance of a Hope option I don’t mind digging into the pocket to make up the difference if any.
    Thanks.

brant
    Free Member

Hi Brant, earlier in this thread (page 2) you agreed that shimano brakes will be an option on the build. Any chance of a Hope option I don’t mind digging into the pocket to make up the difference if any.
    Thanks.

Our position on that has changed I’m afraid, so it’s X0 Trail’s on the bike.

iolo
    Free Member

you agreed that shimano brakes will be an option on the build

Brant later stated would actually unfortunately be possible.

If you guys want Shimano breaks take the Alixirs off, Ebay them, Buy Shimano whatsoever with the breaks.

gamerriley
    Free Member

Shorter bearded test rider put a lot of time into the small.

He gets everywhere that bloke 😉

billyboy
    Free Member

Commiserations…….you have my sympathy

billyboy
    Free Member

…….. for having an On One

emmodd
    Free Member

Brant, any plans to do a frame and fork only deal? Would be interested if so.

brant
    Free Member

Brant, any plans to do a frame and fork only deal? Would be interested if so.

This will be coming at some point.

emmodd
    Free Member

Excellent!

gamerriley
    Free Member

Brant YHM……again 😀

gamerriley
    Free Member

Oh…and have we any pictures yet of the full bike build in blue, not just the frame?

brant
    Free Member

Oh…and have we any pictures yet of the full bike build in blue, not just the frame?

Not yet.

plus-one

Brant

Will there be a tune thingy to set up the ccdb shock ? Or is it a fiddle and play job 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 493 total)

The topic ‘So an On One Codiene just fell onto my doormat…’ is closed to new replies.