Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • So, all this talk of first aid…
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Does anyone do a mountain bike specific first aid course? Particularly if they do it in the peaks.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

What do you perceive any first aid course would differ for mtb’ing?

i cant think of any apart from more focus on bones, joints and similar. Which most hobby based first aid courses aren’t going to cover.
    Maybe paramedics training might be more what you’re looking for.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Any first aid course will do but you probably would want to concentrate more on the treatments for the typical injuries you are likely to see, so for MTBing your probably talking about breaks, lacerations, concussion, shock. A typical first aid course will also include stuff on burns, and treatment for conditions like Angina, diabetes. But really the best thing anyone can do is have a mobile phone handy so you can call in the professionals. I’ve been on a variety of first aid courses over the years, and really the courses are largely the same format and content. As a first aider you are really limited to what you can actually do and really your main aim is to prevent the ‘patients’ condition worsening and making them as comfortable as possible until such time the professionals can get there, as they have the equipment, skills and more importantly the drugs, to actually improve their condition and pop them off to hospital. I personally think everyone should have a good appreciation of first aid as one of those basic life skills – like riding a bike…and drinking beer.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t know. I’m guessing that burns for example, might not be too critical, but focusing more on bones might be useful.

I’ve done some training with work but that focuses on electrical shocks. Doesn’t really lend itself to mountain biking. As it’s the biggest risk I place myself at, it seems logical to look for something with a focus on the particular risks associated with it.

matt_outandabout

Home

Nicola is great, did a couple of courses back in the day with her. She is proper Mrs_outdoorsy

nemtbroutes
    Free Member

I’ve just done a First Aid for Sport course, only £15 run by the council up here in Newcastle. Covered all the basics, CPR, assessment, prirorities, chocking, etc, only 6 hours. To gain a British Cycling Mountain Bike leaders qualification you need to do a 2 day outdoor first aid course.

qwerty
    Free Member

Maybe paramedics training might be more what you’re looking for.

A paramedic without their paramedic kit is a first aider.

v8ninety

A paramedic without their paramedic kit is a first aider.

To a point, but with a shitload more actual experience, knowledge, understanding and the ability to think clearly when others are flapping. So not really.

glupton1976
    Free Member

The british association of ski patrollers course is very good.

http://www.basp.org.uk/course-description.php?id=EM2

v8ninety

The british association of ski patrollers course is very good.

I’m sure but without their skis, a ski patroller is just a patroller…

stevemorg2

Not in the Peaks but I can recommend these guys:

http://www.crtmedical.co.uk/

I did the Mountain First Aid course with them a couple of weeks ago – well worth it and its not a bad venue from which to go for a ride

wisepranker
    Free Member

Try speaking to the guys at Bespoke Medical training, they do training related to specific activities.

http://www.bespoke-mt.co.uk

meehaja
    Free Member

There are lots of mountain leader type first aid courses which would cover your needs I’m sure.

First aid is ABC, CPR, bleeding control, choking, burns and general patient care.

from an mtb point of view, you’re more likely to need kit. Water to clan wounds/gravel rash, a few dressings and some tape, knowledge of where you are (maps etc) and stuff to keep you warm. Also food, cos food is nice.

mccett
    Free Member

The BASI one is good, aimed really at ‘outdoor’ first aid where you dont have access to kit and have to make do with what you might have lying about. I did it 12 years ago and tbh, having now done advanced trauma care for work, there’s not a lot different in what they teach. Did mine up in Penrith.

TonyL
    Free Member

Quite a few places do a two day out door first aid course aimed at people who lead outdoor pursuits i have been on a few of these over the years (working as a ranger etc) generally very good and worth doing.out side specific course from what i can see spends more time dealing with exposure etc good practicable advice on making use of what you have and no time wasted on how to fold a bandage etc as they tend to be run by mountain rescue types who have a very good knowledge of the types of injuries you are likely to get/find and what you can carry in your pack.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘So, all this talk of first aid…’ is closed to new replies.