Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • So, after the DFS thread…where to buy furniture (sofa, bed, dining table etc.)
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

“Warren Evans good for beds – London based but deliver all over.”

I sent a WA bed back.was the poorest made thing ive ever bought.£800 and they cant even be bothered to stain the inside of the wood.they literally only do the bits you see and not a single milimeter more.

Rich_s

If you’re able to get over to plastic scouse land, try Lawtons in Birkenhead – they are the main outlet for the M&S/Furniture Village/etc manufacturers. What’s there is in stock, and you need to take it within 2 weeks and/or pay for a guy with van to deliver. But much cheapness. We got M&S Abbey sofas, 1 large, 1 medium in fine dark brown leather for £1350 – discounted because of a one inch scuff to one arm.

mightymule
    Free Member

Ponsfords, Sheffield.

datsunman

postierich – how long have you had your stuff from Oak Furniture Land and is it still in good shape? we saw a couple of bits we really liked but read loads of scare stories about customer service/broken furniture/missed deliveries etc and it really put us off.

jonba
    Free Member

If you are in Newcastle then Gosforth Pine is worth a look for the off the shelf and customised. If you want bespoke then Matthew Macmanus, he has a facebook page or you can ask me for details.

joolsburger
    Free Member

John lewis is good, Heals sell nice stuff and are having a sale too, nice sofas are only around £1000. Ikea are fine for smaller items like lights and things and maybe kids furniture.

postierich
    Free Member

Quality is faultless and delivery was spot on had an issue with a large mirror when one of the joints came loose they sent a replacement and picked the other mirror up.

Only bought Kingsize bed, bed side units x2 and a huge side unit plus the mirror all fully assembled and they took the packaging away as I insisted on inspecting!

Rich

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sounds horrificly middle class, but my parents had their latest sofa made to order by a factory in south wales. I’m trying to convince the missus we want one like it, not a chav-tastic DFS corner sofa.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Bland – YHM

cheers_drive

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Sounds horrificly middle class, but my parents had their latest sofa made to order by a factory in south wales. I’m trying to convince the missus we want one like it, not a chav-tastic DFS corner sofa.

I’m sure that the horrible Sofa Sofa sofa I once had was made to ider in South Wales so that’s nothing to shout about. Also I believe most sofas including DFS are made to order.

takisawa2

Got our Natuzzi suite from place called Alan Ward in Stoke. Liked the service & the chaps in there seemed to know their products. Wasnt cheap though (£2.5k for a 2 & a 3 seater sofa). Took about 6 weeks to come from Italy. Its astonishingly heavy.

I think my Sis-in-Law had some stuff from Oak Furniture Land. Its very well made. Weighs a bloody ton. 🙂

My fears that DFS would be my idea of hell were confirmed on walking through the door. 🙂
    [Wasnt that bad, just didnt have what we really wanted].

salls
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned Next? Bought an amazing dining table from there recently (http://www.next.co.uk/x51978s1#778131×51) and superb quality. Fast delivery too. We teamed that with these dining chairs, really happy with it. I’ve had friends buy sofas from next too and no complaints 🙂

ericemel
    Free Member

I had a NEXT sofa and was very pleased with it. My sister just bought one too and loves it.

dknwhy

We used to have furniture shops and found that although items were labelled “M&S” etc they’re mainly made at the same generic factories. Most sofas came from the Welsh factories and everything else was mass produced in the Far East.

The only exception being locally built pine furniture and bedsets/mattresses.

Don’t be fooled into thinking you’re buying quality by shopping at the like of John Lewis etc. You could be just as likely to find a similar quality at a discount store. We used to sell M&S tables priced at 50-75% lower than they did.

For real bargains, head to the furniture show at the NEC. Some wholesalers/manufacturers will sell in small volume and to individuals or point you in the direction of an agent. You may have to hire a van to collect items from a wholesaler but it’ll be worth the saving.
    We had an arrangement with a wholesaler in Lydd, Kent who used to stock the bigger stores but would let us take van loads of stock on a pick and mix basis.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘So, after the DFS thread…where to buy furniture (sofa, bed, dining table etc.)’ is closed to new replies.