Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 201 total)
  • SNP don’t like taking responsibility do they?
  • Don’t know so much I’m skint & waiting for pay day. I get a lot more than that and I have no mortgage, no car loan & I didn’t have council tax to pay this month. Think I’m just shit at being careful with money.

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

WTF do you spend it all on? thats a lot of avocado toast.

Premier Icon sadmadalan
    Subscriber

I do like the way that some people say that someone on £50k should be able to afford £125 a month to give to the Scottish Government. It just sounds like the politics of envy, spending someone else’s earnings.

And whilst I’m here, the SNP is and has been for the last decade the Scottish Government. the two are synonymous. To split the two as different organisations is being blind to the fact. The SNPs record in government is not good, too many indicators heading the wrong way. As someone living South of the border, I find it strange that the Scottish Government/SNP are spending some much time, effort (and money) on setting out the case for an independent country, but failing in the day job. They can (and do) blame Westminster, but the rest of the UK has had the same austerity and seems to have done better.

The SNP is now stuck. It realises that it has a limited time to make the case for independence before the general population get bored of them doing it. At some point they will lose control of the Scottish Parliament (if you are the dominant party there is only one way to go) at which time independence will go on the back burner. The forthcoming trials (plus the recent resignation) do not help the image of the SNP. SO the SNP must act now – hence all the noise. Westminster, in particular No. 10 hold all the cards.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

^ squirrel

Spin

@boardinbob it would take hours to answer all your points as most of them are based on misconceptions about how the Scottish education system works or based on being a client in that system 20+ years ago rather than a provider today.

If I have a spare hour later I’ll try to correct to some of your more obvious errors. 🙂

lotto

Totally agree with your appraisal sadmadalan.

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Sadmadalan

Unfortunately you only have the misinformation from the union press to go on. In many measures the Scottish government are doing a decent job and have done what they can to mitigate the ills of austerity. Look at the link I put for the other side of the story.

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

The SNPs record in government is not good, too many indicators heading the wrong way. As someone living South of the border, I find it strange that the Scottish Government/SNP are spending some much time, effort (and money) on setting out the case for an independent country, but failing in the day job

Actually the unionist parties spend much more time talking about the SNP talking about independence than the SNP do, most performance metrics are improving and are better than in england, we have no bedroom tax, we have lower waiting times for A&E, we have a lowering crime rate etc etc. Read the national link ( accepting its own bias)

They are not perfect by any means and I think after 10+ years in power they like all governments are beggining to run out of steam and need to be refreshed but compared to the dysfunctional mess in Westminster they are so much better

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I’m saying the SNP could possibly exchange what they espouse as control by a third party for possibly the same situation within the EU

Yep, Scotland in the EU is exactly like being in the UK. Who can forget the EU telling the UK they couldn’t have a referendum to leave and the long, drawn-out legal battles that followed.

tpbiker

If you can’t run a family & home on £50k you’re doing something far wrong.
    That’s a lot of money and leaves plenty of wriggle room for modest luxuries

I’m not saying you can’t run a family home on that. But you won’t have lots left over, so to my point, you would miss 125 quid a month.

I have plenty of mates who have family incomes around that, and once they have paid the morgage, paid off their car loan (and they don’t have 50k audis before you assume they do), and paid for all family essentials and treats for kids they don’t have much left over.

I don’t know how much you earn but I’m sure if you cut back on all the things you didn’t really need then you could probably spare money to pay extra tax as well. That’s not to say you wouldn’t miss it. Fact is people don’t work hard to mearly get by..

Spin

To Boardinbob…

Several of your points seem to be about the degree to which the Scottish government is responsible for the problems in education. Some of the issues I outlined are SQA issues but ultimately the Scottish government is responsible for educational policy. The buck stops with them and the SNP have been in power long enough that it stops at their door.

There are also several points about what happens in the ‘real world’ just because shit practice is common in the ‘real world’ doesn’t mean we should allow it in our schools.

Better is a subjective term. Overall exam results fluctuate by small percentages. What were they like 10 years ago?

Exam results only fluctuate by small percentages because the SQA adjust the grade boundaries so that exam results only fluctuate by small percentages…

Is the exam board the SNP? Why is setting the exam and the curriculum bad? Changes to courses and exams after the courses have started? Sounds like a pretty good preparation for the real world.

Taking the above in order.

No but the SQA are accountable to the Scottish government see above. Setting both is bad because it encourages teaching to the exam. Just because goal posts get moved ‘in the real world’ doesn’t mean that’s what we should be doing to school pupils.

How so? Has something changed from my day when, for example a University said you need 4 B grades at higher? Are the qualifications out of line with the demands of higher education?

The stronger pupils going on to higher education are still relatively well served by the system. Those who are borderline uni material or less academic are poorly served.

Why not?

Because of how they are assessed. N5 is a rigorous, externally assessed award with exam and coursework elements. N4 is entirely internally assessed at a minimum competence standard with open book assessments and multiple remediation opportunities. It’s meant to be the same standard as the old General award but it’s a country mile easier. In the old system everyone got a go at the higher level (general/credit or foundation/general) but that doesn’t happen now, their one or the other so that aspirational element which was one of the best elements in standard grade is gone.

Has been going on since my time at school and probably long before that

No, this never used to happen. You’re confusing it with adjusting grade boundaries I mentioned above. What I’m talking about is fundamentally changing what a pupil needs to write in an exam to get a mark part way through the year or after they’ve sat the exam. If you told teachers 15 years ago this would happen they would have laughed you out the room but it’s pretty common now.

When I was doing my highers back in the 1990s, our course material was photocopies from Carluke Highschool. The reason given was they were one of the first schools to implement Highers in Scotland. How come I managed to get 8 highers back in the 90s with no national level materials?

Your materials were stamped Carluke high school but they were almost certainly centrally produced by teachers who had been seconded to either national or local authority level for months to do this. That’s how it was done when SG and the revised higher were introduced. None of that happened with the current qualifications. Some authorities managed to allocate a few days for this but most schools had to just do their own thing. Carluke HS may have piloted some quals but this was done very carefully with a lot of support. None of the new quals were tested or piloted in any way, they just rolled them out across the whole country effectively using a whole cohort of pupils as guinea pigs.

I really have no idea what your on about. The decent bits of Glasgow / Edinburgh / Dundee / Aberdeen / Perth are on the expensive side of the UK average housing costs wise. Newcastle is not a cheap place to live either. London, parts of SE & the home counties are a bit of an outlier.

Who said anything about the “nice bits”? I live on an ex council scheme where houses typically sell for around 90k, its not that bad but certainly not Jordanhill or Morningside. I’d be looking at doubling the mortgage, easily, to find somewhere equivalent in the south of England (anywhere, not just the SE). Suffolk all the way round to Somerset.

Of course, these figures don’t include council tax, which hasn’t been subject to the same rises as in England and Wales, so there is an offset there to consider.

You’re not allowed to consider cost of living!

How do you know what someone can and can’t afford? 50k is alot if you are a single person with no dependencies. 50k isn’t all that much if you are the sole earner in a family of 4 with a decent sized morgage to pay.

I earn about that as it happens so yes, I know perfectly well what you can afford on those wages. It’s all about living within your means, my last car cost £6k a few years back, is over 11 years old and is still in good nick. I don’t buy 5k carbon bikes on the never ever and still manage to fund my daughters ice skating.

I do like the way that some people say that someone on £50k should be able to afford £125 a month to give to the Scottish Government. It just sounds like the politics of envy, spending someone else’s earnings.

Nope, I’m in that bracket and quite happy to pay.

As someone living South of the border, I find it strange that the Scottish Government/SNP are spending some much time, effort (and money) on setting out the case for an independent country, but failing in the day job.

You what? How would you know if you don’t even live here? FFS…

Now you may think from all that I’m an SNP fanboi but I can assure you I am far from it. Their centralisation of the Fire Service and Police Service is a nonsense and I have little love for the CfE from what I know of it. But some of the mental gymnastics going on here are just ridiculous.

Premier Icon timbo46
    Subscriber

w

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

If Scotland becomes independent they can run ads to high flying professionals boasting of the high tax offset by cheap schemey housing. Wonderful.

I’m in the process of relocating England to Scotland and pound for pound you get better housing in the north of England than central belt of Scotland. So my housing costs and tax go up, unless I downgrade to a smaller house or rougher area.

As someone living South of the border, I find it strange that the Scottish Government/SNP are spending some much time, effort (and money) on setting out the case for an independent country, but failing in the day job.

You are indeed a special one.

poah

@spin having my first experience of N5 biology assignments. I like the way the E&O’s for CFE science does not mention learning anywhere.

There is such a disconnect between the SQA and actual teaching. Far too many changes year after year so we don’t get to see the actual effect it has. The tricks some schools use to get up the top of the exam lists is immoral and goes against the standards for registration.

What? So now my house is “schemey”? Sorry didn’t realise you were talking about something else.

The rest of us were talking about folk earning up to 50k, how many of those are affordably living in “high flying professional” housing?

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

OK, we’ve heard how awful the Scottish education system is.

Now please could someone explain to me why it is better democracy for Scotland to be controlled by the country next door and not by its own independent parliament?

And as for our “deficit”, when we don’t have Westminster allocating a huge chunk of the UK’s deficit to Scotland, maybe we’ll be better able to control that too.

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

I don’t know, are there any fridges or sofas in the front gardens? That’s normally a giveaway.

Spin

The tricks some schools use to get up the top of the exam lists is immoral and goes against the standards for registration.

They’ve created a system that rewards careful dishonesty.

The response to my first post made me think of one of the major issues with changing all this. Basically, many of the problems are relatively small on their own or fairly technical issues that the general public doesn’t really understand the importance of.

I probably didn’t do a great job of trying to present that to a non teacher audience but to do that well would require a lot of thought.

BruceWee

It’s been said many times but the best way to get rid of the SNP is vote for independence.

Spin

OK, we’ve heard how awful the Scottish education system is.

Now please could someone explain to me why it is better democracy for Scotland to be controlled by the country next door and not by its own independent parliament?

Two separate issues really but not everyone can separate them. I can separate them so I vote for the pro independence party that hasn’t **** our education system.

If you want a stick to beat the SNP with education is a right good choice.

irc

With the track record of government in the devolved areas they already control there is no reason to think independence would mean any better govt of the rest.

Random example. Spent over a billion on a new Forth bridge which is still only 2 lanes each way so it hasn’t relieved congestion. You would think 1.35Bn would at least remove a bottleneck.

lilchris

TL;DR – didn’t see much mentioned about national insurance.
    Only accounts for a minimum of an extra 60% on people’s tax is all.

Are we also assuming everyone is on PAYE? Were are the posts about other people’s professions that us accountants can give our 2ps worth?

BruceWee

With the track record of government in the devolved areas they already control there is no reason to think independence would mean any better govt of the rest.

Do you mean Scots in general or the SNP in particular?

Because independence would mean someone else could have a go.

lilchris

sadmadalan
    The SNP is now stuck. It realises that it has a limited time to make the case for independence before the general population get bored of them doing it.

Lol.
    I name this ship, “Yesterday”.
    May God bless her and all who sail in her

Spin

@spin having my first experience of N5 biology assignments. I like the way the E&O’s for CFE science does not mention learning anywhere.

Good illustration of how impenetrable the course documents have become: we have a probationer teacher this year and there’s a few times she’s said something along the lines of ‘is that what the SQA want? Because I’ve read all the documents and I’d never have worked that out.’

When I went through the training/probation process with Standard Grade I had no such issues.

I get 50k a year, living in Scotland, working for a company in London.
    The only reason I get that much is that the Scottish Government paid £5k for me to go back to uni and get my (second) MSc <- something I couldn’t afford due to my wages working part time for a charity.

You can bitch all you want, or you can take a look at what’s on offer, knuckle down and do the work and use it to get ahead.

I guess I’ll probably pay that £5k off in increased tax payments eventually.

But you know, we have a shit system and you’ll never learn anything and as soon as you get rich you’ll pick up your kilty skirts and move to Kent. Aye, away to ****.

poah

What I’ve noticed being a student teacher is the amount of information that different schools present for each course. This is particularly evident in BGE. Pupils at one school should be getting taught the same as another

WTF do you spend it all on? thats a lot of avocado toast.

I’m just crap at conserving money.

Anyway I’m not complaining about the wee bit extra tax I am not a self centred Tory I would rather have a fairer society.

As for Scotland being governed to a poorer standard than England what planet are you in to believe that nonsense. Scottish education may not be perfect but it seems pretty good to me. I’d rather divert the cash we are paying for HS2 & Trident into education & health but Scotland has no choice. The health service performs better in Scotland though I would like to see if better funded.

Spin

Pupils at one school should be getting taught the same as another

But one of the key principles of CfE in its first incarnation was that we had freedom to do what best suited our pupils needs. They backtracked on that when they realised that freedom equalled inconsistency. I’ve now been in this game long enough to realise that what the old farts told me on probation was true: that every new initiative in education is an equal and opposite reaction to the thing that went before.

Cor, sorry about this all. Can’t even remember what she said to prompt me to start the thread as drink had been taken.

Premier Icon slackalice
    Subscriber

I wouldn’t worry, however reading this thread has been both depressing and amusing in equal measure, so as a spectator sport the topic has lots going for it.

And like all political organisations, the SNP is habitually crap at choosing a competent leader.

Spin

And like all political organisations, the SNP is habitually crap at choosing a competent leader.

Love her or loathe her you have to acknowledge Sturgeon’s ability as a politician.

Premier Icon slackalice
    Subscriber

No. No I don’t.

Spin

Then I’d suggest that perhaps your prejudices are coming into play. I’m not a fan boy by any stretch but I’ve rarely seen her caught out, unprepared or on the back foot.

Premier Icon slackalice
    Subscriber

Yeah, fair comment. And I do find her just… annoying! 😉

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Sturgeon is head and shoulders above anyone else it terms of political ability

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

If you can’t run a family & home on £50k

@bikebouy to the thread please 😀

lotto

Yep, Scotland in the EU is exactly like being in the UK. Who can forget the EU telling the UK they couldn’t have a referendum to leave and the long, drawn-out legal battles that followed.

Who could forget the ‘Once in a lifetime’ 2014 Scottish Independence Referendum. If the SNP are such astute politicians, then perhaps they should have had more attention to detail regards having future referendums. Again to the OP point, shoulder some responsibility towards the situation they find themselves in now due to their lack of foresight.  They agreed to referendum  conditions, but they would rather bleat, moan and blame Westminster for their current situation.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.