Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • snowtyre compatibility
  • sweepy
    Free Member

I have posted this on Briskoda, but I know there are some people here who know their onions regarding cars so…

We recently changed from a petrol skoda roomster, on which we had steel wheels fitted with 195/55 15 snowtyres, to a diesel roomster greenline fitted with alloy wheels and 185/60/15 tyres.
    What I want to know is, can we use the virtually new snowtyres from the last car on the new one, and what steel wheels will I need to get.

Thanks in advance

maccruiskeen

why get a second set of rims – the both wheels are the same diameter, presumably the same stud pattern and offset. Your garage will swap them over for about £20. They won’t do it if theres any pressing reason not to.

mau00149
    Free Member

Putting the sizes into http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator there is a 1.39% increase in outside tyre diameter so speedo will read 70mph when your actually doing 70.97mph. They recommend not greater than 2.5% difference so I would say you were fine.

I’m currently looking at dropping from 18″ to 16″ with a deeper profile for winter tyres mainly due to the fact the tyres are cheaper.

Not sure on what rims you will need, would imagine them to be similar stud pattern/sizing.

I prefer go with the second set of rims/wheels, that way you can change them yourself (if you’re happy enough doing that) and it keeps your good alloy wheels protected from the salt, grit etc through the winter. Just need somehwere to store the ones not in use.

sweepy
    Free Member

Thanks for the quick replies chaps 🙂

the garages round here charge £10-15 per tyre, then the same to change back come spring so I think its worthwhile getting the steel rims, particularly if I can get them from a scrappy.

Storage for the wheels wont be a problem- they will be out of the way inside the tyres that I have to store anyway 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

Shameless bump to catch the tyre fitters who were too busy working to be on the pooter this morning 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

check what skodas recommended winter tyre size is (if there is one it could be in the manual). Fitting a different size to what it says on the tyre size/pressure plate on your car or in the handbook can cause trouble with the insurance so you may have to inform them.

For wheels I assume any skoda/VW/Audi steel wheel will fit. You need to get the correct PCD and offset. That should be easy to find.

edit: just re-read your OP and saw it’s still a Roomster – in which case there should not be an issue with the size. I would expect the PCD to be constant across the VW group range but offsets may be different but likely to be the same given VW enthusiasts love of swapping wheels off more upmarket models.

This might help: http://www.wheel-fitment.com/car/Skoda/Roomster%20(2006%20-%20)/

PS 195/55/15 tyres are normally quite expensive as not very common. They are standard on my 306s so it’s been annoying to pay about 50-80% more than sizes slightly smaller or bigger that are more common so good to see demand might be on the up!

stevomcd
    Free Member

If you change the rim size to a different one than that supplied as standard with the vehicle, in theory you need to notify your insurer.

It is likely that they will refuse to accept the change at all, or charge something extortionate – despite the change making the car safer!

Ridiculous, but very common.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

^^^^^

Not always true, I spoke to direct line about it yesterday – they said there was no price increase to the premium but to make sure they were the correct size and removed in march. Can’t say fairer than that.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yep, they’re getting better, but there are still a lot of insurance companies for whom this will be a problem.

sweepy
    Free Member

Thanks all, they dont half make this complicated dont they, I stupidly thought same car, no worries- idiot 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

ivan …. did you ask them for their crystal ball that says no snow in march ?

in march 2011 you couldnt drive to and from my house without a 4×4 for snow and ice – and even some of the 4x4s had to be towed out with the land rover…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘snowtyre compatibility’ is closed to new replies.