Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • SNOWING IN LONDON! BLIZZARD CONDITIONS!
  • aw
    Free Member

several inches fell in our part of Kent and still coming down!

thefettler
    Free Member

swop!
    It’s 42c in NSW OZ
    fooking to hot to ride 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

39 here in WA i have forgotten what snow is but I am scared in case it makes it here

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fettler where in NSW are you heading over later in the year with the bikes, can you recommend me some good riding. Got the Australian Mountain Bike mag with the trail guides in.

thefettler
    Free Member

mikewsmith ,g,day
    if you got the mag, you got the right info.
    Wen’t to stromlow for the nats.
    great riding.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Sudden change in weather in Hyde Park:

BigDummy
    Free Member

Wimbledon Common, 08:45.

Legenday day, loving it.

🙂

GrahamS

I had to laugh when I watched the BBC News at the weekend. They were covering the “Free Tibet” protests as the Chinese leader arrived.

Camera pans across, setting the scene: the atmosphere is tense and very light snow is just starting to fall. Pans out to reporter and he is standing there like Scott of the Antarctic – huge North Face jacket, hat, gloves, scarf, big jumper. We were pissing ourselves laughing. I think I wear less than that snowboarding.

Londoners = soft. 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Big dump of snow approaching :o)

http://www.meteox.com

molgrips
    Free Member

Camera pans across, setting the scene: the atmosphere is tense and very light snow is just starting to fall. Pans out to reporter and he is standing there like Scott of the Antarctic – huge North Face jacket, hat, gloves, scarf, big jumper. We were pissing ourselves laughing. I think I wear less than that snowboarding.

How cold was it?

Also, remember that standing around waiting for things to happen make you very cold, and you can’t go do some work to warm up.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

It’s ok everyone, I’m fine!

A bit traumatised, I must admit, but otherwise ok.

T’was an interesting ride home. Conti Survival Pro mud tyres work a treat on snow. A lot better than the tyres of most cars, it seems. Why oh why oh why are people driving, in this weather? I’ve just watched one tw4t take 15 minutes to get out of the car park, because he couldn’t get any grip. There will be deaths.

GrahamS- of course, you’d be out there in a T-shirt. What d’you expect the bloke to wear?? It’s minus bastard outside! The poor bugger probbly had to stand around for ages, to do the report. With snowboarding, you’re moving around, generating heat.

What really p1sses me off, is that no roads were gritted or salted yesterday, despite the warnings of heavy snow. that’s just incredibly stupid. I watched several cars sliding about last night; and that was with a lot less than this morning. There will be deaths.

There was a nice moment, though. Two African women were taking pics of each other in the snow, ‘We’ve never seen snow before!’. Spose it’s a little treat for them!

I shall not be going out, unless it’s absolutely necessary. It appears footy is cancelled for tonight. 🙁

There will be deaths.

aP
    Free Member

I rode the Quest Reliability Ride yesterday and there were gritters out yesterday from about 1pm. Just a shame they carried on gritting as they drove past cyclists 🙁
    Some top driving in west London though on the way in.

coffeeking
    Free Member

What really p1sses me off, is that no roads were gritted or salted yesterday,

Maybe they’re hoping that people will learn how to drive in snowy conditions, by means of “learn or have no car to drive”, so that future snow may cause fewer problems. I mean its really not that hard to drive in snow, only ice.

mudshark
    Free Member

I mean its really not that hard to drive in snow, only ice.

Well I think it’s fairly hard to drive a puma through 12″ of snow! I tried, I failed…. Well I thought the main road would have had more traffic through it so be clearer which is why I tried.

crazy-legs

I mean its really not that hard to drive in snow, only ice

It’s quite funny watching people attempting to drive in snow.
    Yet again this country proves that it’s a national embarrassment – a few inches of snow and the entire South East is acting like the world is about to end.
    I’m off out for a nice snowy ride in a bit with a mate, a teacher who’s school has been closed until temperatures have returned to +10 or so and normal life can continue.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Has society started to breakdown in london yet? Any looting and shooting?
    The catholics will tell you it’s a sign from god because all you sinners in london have snorted too much coke.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I was actually only joking, yesterday, about the snow, but it appears that we have indeed experienced blizzard conditions here in London. All buses are out of service, and I’d imagine getting around must be a bit difficult. I feel sorry for all those people that won’t get compensated for losing a day’s work; many people in low-paid jobs will just lose a day’s pay.

Snow’s sh1t, really. Clogs everything up, stops stuff, is bastard cold, and then turns into ice. Riding a bike is going to be tricky over the next couple of days.

Ok, you’ve had yer fun, now, some rain, please, and warmer temps to thaw it all out. I want it gone by tomorrow.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just had someone round asking if we need a hotel room tonight. Err, no thanks, I’ll take my chances on my rail line – that it properly borked right now and appears to be gradually shutting down 😥

IanMunro
    Free Member

With you there fred, it’s fun riding today, but it’s going to be a bugger tommorrow when all the compacted stuff freezes.

crazy-legs

Snow’s sh1t, really. Clogs everything up, stops stuff, is bastard cold, and then turns into ice. Riding a bike is going to be tricky over the next couple of days.

Snow is ace and I wish we had more of it. Bring on a proper winter where it’s like this for a whole month and people just learn to live with it!. This kind of thing happens on the continent regularly, they don’t stop all services, the TV is not awash with idiots offering their opinions on the end of the world and everyone carries on as normal. It’s just a bit of snow!!

GrahamS

How cold was it?

Well warm enough that I couldn’t see his breath.

Here is footage from moments later. Sadly the reporter is absent.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7863707.stm

GrahamS- of course, you’d be out there in a T-shirt. What d’you expect the bloke to wear?? It’s minus bastard outside!

As I said, soft southerners. Come up to Newcastle and watch the girls walking about on Saturday night, wobbling through the snow in open-toe stilettos while wearing nothing more than a bra and pants. 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

a few inches of snow and the entire South East is acting like the world is about to end.

London is a city that’s the financial centre of this nation. A city where 6 million people come in to work, every day, from elsewhere. To work in jobs that keep this nation running.

So, if airports are closed, transport links affected, traveling conditions difficult, then I’d say that is quite serious, really.

S’not like yer little villages, where only 3 people live and work, you know. Get a sense of perspective!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

piedi di formaggio – rail

My other half just went home on the train, first trains emergency brakes kicked in and flatspotted all the wheels leaving it hobbling along at really low speed, then the replacement train had a window smashed and they then waited an hour for that to be fixed, 5 hours later she’s back on track, half-way home on a 200 mile trip lol. Its not just snow that does it!

coffeeking
    Free Member

S’not like yer little villages, where only 3 people live and work, you know. Get a sense of perspective!!

Plenty of other big cities cope just fine 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Blimey, contrary to what some of you lot seem to think, things are still going on pretty much as normal, here!

This is much heavier snow than is usually experienced in London, so there are going to be a few difficulties! I dare say conditions elsewhere are just as difficult.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

**** all people in my office though. Last headcount was approx 300 out of a normal attendance of 1400. Quite a few of them normally walk to work – and they haven’t bothered turning up – lazy feckers!

The-Beard

I got turfed off a bus at midnight last night and had to walk the rest of the way home as the control room had decided the conditions were too dangerous for the bus drivers.

Was pretty cool walking the streets of London in the middle of a night, streets empty and snow falling!

jond
    Free Member

>Get a sense of perspective!!

C’mon, lighten up…I think it’s you that’s missing one, yer miserable b*gger 😉
    This is first few days decent snow down here in ooh, about 15 years or more, cycling out of our close it was great to see all the kids having fun…though one of ’em almost took my shades off with a firking great snowball!
    I don’t think most people are gonna miss a couple of day’s productivity in the grand scheme of things.

>London is a city that’s the financial centre of this nation
    Oh well, if some of the greedy feckers stay at home they can’t stuff anything else up 😉

Well, it was quite a pleasant ride from Walton to Staines (partly along the Thames) Hopefully it’ll stick for tomorrow. I might even carry on a bit further going home, as far as Kingston or Richmond…and roll on a big overnight dump 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

and roll on a big overnight dump

Eeeewww! No thanks! 🙁 Nasty. Eat more roughage or something.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘SNOWING IN LONDON! BLIZZARD CONDITIONS!’ is closed to new replies.