• This topic has 69 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Snowflakes
  • tinribz
    Free Member

What will replace it?

Snowflakes don’t breed. Look at London for a generation into the future. And then South Africa for after that.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

. . . or do we change into racists and xenophobes as we age?

judging by reports from my partner who works with dementia patients – some seem to become shocking rascists…

richmtb

I like the term “snowflake.” It’s a handy shibboleth for identifying empathy-deficient shitrags who don’t like being called out for being offensive. See also, “triggered.”

See also “free speech” or “censorship”

When what they really mean is they want to say whatever horrible shit they like without having their views challenged.

See Nigel Farage and his views on free speech and jokes vs the reality of his ilk being the butt of a joke made by Jo Brand

ChrisL

This thread is a troll and I claim my £5.

Cougar

Somebody on here once explained that “snowflake” was coined because those people saw themselves as unique, rather than because they were delicate and fragile.

Yeah, I think the first time I ever heard it was in the context of “special snowflake” meaning unique, now the “special” bit has been flipped to kind of mean the opposite, “I suppose you think your special” sort of thing.

Cougar

Come on op, what did you say?
    It’s obvious you’ve said something deeply offensive, and someone had told you to stfu, and your now just sulking and calling people snowflakes.

Y’know, I suspect you may be onto something here.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I think the currently emerging generations are being born and raised into a world where populist rhetoric is the norm, where brandishing broad derogatory labels is commonplace in politics and everyday language. Where critical thought is discouraged and simplistic, binary partisanship is rewarded. (Anti-) social media shall be the ‘real world’ whilst the real world will be increasingly less liberal and less sociable. These two past decades of fear-mongering and (largely) unexamined-yet-accepted-as-fact political clickbait will see a long trend of neo-fascism against all the usual scapegoats and a fair amount of rewriting of history.

Source: History repeats itself in predictable swings/cycles. Electronic media amplifies the rate and reach.

Is a snowflake similar to a big girls blouse?

slowoldman

. . . or do we change into racists and xenophobes as we age?

I feel I can confirm that no, we do not.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I always find it faintly amusing that the people who brandish about the ‘libtard snowflake, beta cuck’ schtick often turn out to be underachieving incels living in their parent’s basement. I’m trying to remember the name of the skeezy pick-up artist from the US who turned out to be the poster boy for ‘basement life’?

RustySpanner

It’s the same weirdos who used to complain about the word gay being ‘hijacked’.
    And yes, it’s a great way to identify people you can safely add to the ignore list.

In the same vein, I had a look on the Pistonheads political forum recently. It seems to be entirely populated by asshats.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

and someone had told you to stfu,

Well he/she wouldn’t be a snowflake cos snowflakes say stuff like, ‘i’m deeply offended by that, please please apologise’.

Drac

see the EV thread

😂

Edit: Oh! You edited it while I was making pasta.

kerley
    Free Member

. . or do we change into racists and xenophobes as we age?

A lot of people do, well they turn more right wing/Tory voting around age 50. A lot of that is selfishness and greed but a bit of racism is added in for good measure.

I am almost 52 and getting more left wing again (not as much as when I was 16 but that would be a bit silly) so doesn’t happen to everyone.

aP
    Free Member

Aren’t snowflakes a bit like Goths?
    All individuals.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

A lot of people do, well they turn more right wing/Tory voting around age 50. A lot of that is selfishness and greed…

I was brought up in a house with Tory voting parents, joined the military and am ashamed to say, voted the same way they did in my first GE. Then as I aged I stopped being such a selfish prick and started thinking about others; and as a result my voting preferences changed.

Eventually when I left the military I joined the Labour Party and, 12 years later, am still a card carrying member and a nursing rep for Unison.

I’m sure a few folks who remember me from the old STW forum might recall my shamefully right of centre contributions to political threads in those days. I am so glad I grew out of that.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

It appears there all on here

funkmasterp

I always thought the term related to those who felt they were special and therefore required special treatment. Sort of like a friend of mine who turned down a decent job because he thought he deserved better despite never having worked before and thinking a shit degree meant he was entitled to a better lifestyle, job, life etc without putting the graft in.

I have no clue what it means now and just seems to be used as a piss poor jibe. What a gammon from the right would call their opposite from the left or something. All just a bit sad really.

sirromj

It appears there all on here

I’ve added your “missing a comma” to the discussion.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I like the term “snowflake.” It’s a handy shibboleth for identifying empathy-deficient shitrags who don’t like being called out for being offensive.

You rang?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I was brought up in a house with Tory voting parents, joined the military and am ashamed to say, voted the same way they did in my first GE. Then as I aged I stopped being such a selfish prick and started thinking about others; and as a result my voting preferences changed.

Eventually when I left the military I joined the Labour Party and, 12 years later, am still a card carrying member and a nursing rep for Unison.

I’m sure a few folks who remember me from the old STW forum might recall my shamefully right of centre contributions to political threads in those days. I am so glad I grew out of that.

You sound awesome.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

It’s all nonsense anyway – just a lazy generalisation used by a moronic media. The fact is that it’s never been possible to assign a rigid set of qualities to a ‘generation’ (itself a meaningless term).

SEOT.

JP

Big-Bud
    Free Member

I’m with the op here .
    But I prefer the Sam Smith syndrome.
    Sings songs about being just a man incidentally he didn’t write but it helped launch his career but wants to be none binary.
    Then there’s greta the young activist saving the world on a 4 million pound boat surely a Lilly and a oar made from bamboo is what she should be sailing on.
    Then there’s the lady I worked with who wanted to file a complaint over having no running hot water for 1 HR whilst a plumber carried out repair work and when I suggested boiling a kettle said what if I get scolded.
    Seems that the snowflake generation reside on the chat forum.
    If someone doesn’t want to make a cake for whatever religious beliefs they have for a same sex couple that should be respected as much as it should people accepting that we are the generation of accepting change and sadly it’s not a light switch that is suddenly flicked and everyone is going to be ok with change .it takes time education and understanding.
    I’m a devoted christian and I’m constantly battling my upbringing faith and the modern world and quite frankly I think I’m very accepting of the modern world .

Cougar

This thread is a troll and I claim my £5.

Given that the OP hasn’t been back, I think you might be right.

In the same vein, I had a look on the Pistonheads political forum recently. It seems to be entirely populated by asshats.

FTFY.

A lot of people do, well they turn more right wing/Tory voting around age 50. A lot of that is selfishness and greed but a bit of racism is added in for good measure.

I was thinking about this, whether racism etc is a generational thing (in the 70s it was fine to talk about “****”) or whether as we get older we get inherently more intolerant. But I think I’ve just worked it out.

The older people get, the fewer shits they give about what comes out of their mouth. When you’re young, image is everything, you lie awake all night because you’ve got Hi-Tec trainers and everyone else is wearing Puma; when you get older, you care what other people think less and less.

It’s Prince Philip Syndrome. He’s like a hundred years old, has been married to the Queen since he was twelve, and he still isn’t King. If I were him I’d be fresh out of shits to give as well.

Cougar

You sound awesome.

Actually, he kinda does.

I’m a devoted christian and I’m constantly battling my upbringing faith and the modern world and quite frankly I think I’m very accepting of the modern world .

I would disagree with your conclusion here. You don’t appear to be very accepting at all.

In that one post you: think that being non-binary is something someone would wake up and choose one day, like deciding to have cornflakes for breakfast; don’t approve of a 16-year old standing up against climate change because she’s chosen to sail in a boat that won’t likely kill her; think that discrimination against homosexuals should be respected; and demand similar respect for people who think like this because Change Bad.

I’m not surprised it’s a constant battle for you. It must be tough reconciling the good book’s preachings of being tolerant and accepting of your fellow man with your bigoted world outlook.

With you on kettle woman though, she’s a **** idiot.

Cougar

(awaits being called triggered in 5… 4… )

sofaking
    Free Member

Come on op, what did you say?
    It’s obvious you’ve said something deeply offensive, and someone had told you to stfu, and your now just sulking and calling people snowflakes.

Apologies for not responding earlier but I was out at work in the real world.
    I haven’t said anything deeply, I wasn’t told to stfu, and I wasn’t sulking.
    Far from it. I have enjoyed reading just how easily people on here can take a simple comment that was aimed at no one and run in all sort of directions with it with amazing levels of over reaction.
    It was inspired by every day life and peoples over reactions to stupid little things , not racists and bigots which is unjustifiable.
    I am not a racists, homophobic or xenophobic, although I am aging please attack me for it.
    My use of the English language isn’t what it used to be either but I get by in life.

Please don’t be offended if I missed anyone out. its nothing personal

Everyone feel free to carry on proving my point for me in my absence 🙂

Northwind

Cougar

Subscriber

I like the term “snowflake.” It’s a handy shibboleth for identifying empathy-deficient shitrags who don’t like being called out for being offensive.

Aye, basically just this.

I work with teenagers, not just teenagers but mostly middle class educated teenagers at university, the snowflakiest of the snowflakey or so people say. And they’re awesome. Way better than my generation or my parents generation. More accepting of and quicker to defend others, less willing to accept excuses, “that’s how it is”, and “it can’t be done” and most of all less likely to insist that complicated things are simple just because they don’t understand what makes them complicated. They’re the generation that’s going to have to fix all the shit that the last few have left behind. Toxic politics, toxic seas pouring into the back garden that you can’t afford to buy, and so rent for more than the mortgage payments cost. They’re the first generations that people seem actively happy are inheriting what in a lot of the most important ways is a worse world and worse prospects than their parents. When the **** did that become a thing? We’ve always said “you’ve got it easy” but we’ve never before said “we hope you won’t”. We’ve aspired to make the world better for our kids not to keep on burning it. And all the while they’re going to take shit from the generations before for daring to hope to make things better and for dreaming that if they work hard enough they might have the same things their parents had and a world that’s only a little bit more broken. And those generations before are going to live longer than any in history, the people retiring today will enjoy a longer retirement than any generation ever, and no doubt will continue to punch downwards at the people that will end up picking up the tab, for being “lazy” and “entitled”

Seriously, **** off.

tdog
    Free Member

Hopefully slush puppies sooner the better mmmmmm mmm

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Snowflakes’ is closed to new replies.