Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Snowdon voluntary ban
  • blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

So, Im thinking of riding up Mt Snowdon this evening, and I know the ban says no riding before 6. Does this include riding to the top? I think if i set of at 6, it will be dark by the time i finish, so just want to check what the deal is?

docrobster
    Free Member

The ban kicks in at 5

Metasequoia

…and includes all riding. 👍

joebristol

We did Snowdon on the weekend – started at 6am – we were back off the hill by 9.25 and we had to stop for about 15-20 mins to let a marathon with 800 people come up telegraph valley (didn’t anticipate that!).

Without that I think we have done it in about 3 hours – starting at the car park in Llanberis and going up that path and coming down the Ranger.

The top was surprisingly busy with walkers when we got there about 8.50 but on the way up we didn’t hold anyone up / get held up by anyone.

The first bit of the climb is on a tarmac road which took about 15 mins ish I would say. So you could get going a bit early and hit the actual voluntary bike ban area bang on 6 and be at the top by 7.30-7.40 ish. I reckon you could then get down before it gets dark, but I’d take lights just in case.

Not sure if anyone would tell you off or not if you were on the actual mountain early – most people were just stunned we’d biked up / down it given they’d found it quite a tough hike in all their gear and with 2 walking poles each lol.

Few tuts right at the top for no apparent reason – we were outside the curfew and were really courteous to everyone we met. I stopped to let people past in narrow bits and did my best to enhance the reputation of mtb-ers.

joebristol

Just checked times – it’s actually 10-5 you can’t cycle. So you can crack on an hour earlier – you should be off well before it’s dark!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If it’s too dark to ride down already, and we’re only 4 weeks beyond the solstice, it’s a long ban through the year!

martinhutch

As above, you can ride from 5pm, and if you’re going early, you have to be off the Rangers (ie at the junction with the push up to Telegraph Alley) by 10am.

If you’re still pressed for time, and not too fussed about pedalling, you could push up the Llanberis path to arrive at the summit a bit earlier. Obviously you’ll be pushing some bits you would normally ride, so it’ll be a bit slower, but not all that much.

The voluntary restriction is for cycling, not bikes full stop.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Thanks, Ill set off at 5 then!

gribble
    Free Member

Have a good ride; such good memories of doing that on my hardtail a few years back. Would love to go back and have another go, will make sure it stays on my list of trips to do with the kids when they are slightly older.

faustus

Nobeerinthefridge – Luckily the ban is only 1st May – end Sep

Marin
    Free Member

It’s always busy. I went up one New Years Day at 5.00 A.M. and met walkers on the way down who thankfully cleared the path and cheered me on. Quietest run I ever got on it. Have fun better evening than I’ve got planned.

oldtennisshoes

If it’s voluntary, presumably you could just ignore it anyway?
    More sort of guidance than an instruction?

sockpuppet

Please don’t listen to this advice.

Wait til 5, and still be courteous, otherwise the risk of losing all access will increase.

duncancallum

Yeah **** the ban…

How about leaving some bananas up there as well that’ll show them we can’t be controlled

IdleJon

If you can’t get up and down Snowdon between 5 and darkness you’ve got to be a pretty crap rider, tbh. No need to flout the ban if you’re even vaguely competent.

lowey

No. And if you do you are a monumentally selfish cock.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Completely agree

duncancallum

And when it gets a full tco with gates every 100 yards we can then all jump with joy

andybrad

do not ignore the ban.

End of discussion.

Metasequoia

If people flout the voluntary restrictions, the likely result will be a total ban…

dannyh
    Free Member

Don’t break the agreement. IIRC it was proposed by ‘us’ in the face of an imminent total ban about 15-16 years ago(?) It would be doubly stupid to break the agreement at a busy time as you will also have a rubbish ride, stopping/slowing every 50m or so for walkers – whilst increasing the possibility of a total ban. If you want to bag a mountain in the day in the summer do Cadair Idris.

Oh and Phil likes a troll – the usual style is to wander into a thread, drop a quick one-liner and only reappear if the troll results in bit of a barney that goes on for a page or more. Best ignored.

ndthornton
    Free Member

likely result will be a total ban…

…which you can then also ignore.
    Not that I would ride it anyway in daytime hours as it would be daft and no fun for anyone.
    I prefer common sense to a ban though especially on a bridleway

My personal preference if for early morning rather than evening. Best part of the day. You can also start in the dark if your later into the summer as it doesn’t matter for going up the mountain.

oldtennisshoes

To be clear, I’m not advocating ignoring the agreement – it just seems like odd wording. Overtly negative towards riders.
    A more positive wording – ‘Bikes welcome before 10 and after 5’ for example, may help move the dial on the negative perception of some of the walking community. It just feels a little subservient to me – maybe I just have a problem with being told what I can and can’t do by self appointed arbiters though 😉

bullandbladder
    Free Member

If you happened to be considering descending via the Rhydd Ddu path, allow yourself a LOT more time than you would for the Ranger or Llanberis (unless you’re extremely talented).

whitestone
    Free Member

@dannyh – I think the restrictions came in a bit before that. I was living in the area up to 1999 and I’m fairly certain they were in place then. Then again, twenty years!

@oldtennishoes – a rewording would make sense but authorities like their “Don’ts”.

joebristol

The video above makes Rhyd Du look very technical and in a couple of places quite unrideable if there is high wind. The ranger is technical in places but totally rideable from what I saw last weekend. Plus the Llanberis Path was really busy but barely saw anyone coming up the Ranger.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I have pushed up and ridden the last third of Rhyd Du as a bit of extra after doing the Ranger. The bit I did was I think a bit more technical than the ranger and a bit less fun but still worth doing. There was more stopping and looking for lines and then pinging your way through gnar and feeling glad to be alive at the bottom (hence the slightly less fun bit).

Iv also had a look at the path from the top on another occasion. Looked like a super exposed ridge push/carry to start which given visibility of a few yards I didn’t like the look of. Not to say I wouldn’t do it in good weather though.

nickc

Leave it to the walkers.

Last time I did it was the last weekend in April, and it was rammed with folk, while most were fine, I did get a couple of comments about the ban (some folk seemed to think it was all year round) and Rangers was so full of people coming up, that I didn’t get more than a couple of mins riding in between having to stop and pull off the track to let them past.

There are quieter and more enjoyable hills nearby that make for a better riding experience. Snowdon is like an outdoors mall.

fathomer

nickc – Subscriber
    Leave it to the walkers.

Last time I did it was the last weekend in April, and it was rammed with folk, while most were fine, I did get a couple of comments about the ban (some folk seemed to think it was all year round) and Rangers was so full of people coming up, that I didn’t get more than a couple of mins riding in between having to stop and pull off the track to let them past.

There are quieter and more enjoyable hills nearby that make for a better riding experience. Snowdon is like an outdoors mall.

We did it the last weekend of April as well. It was heaving on the Summit, probably a que of 50-60 people to get to the summit. The descent down Rangers was fine though, a few walkers that saw us coming, step aside and cheered us on!

slowoldman

Few tuts right at the top for no apparent reason

I dare say the vast majority of people on Snowdon have no idea about any voluntary agreement for MTBs or that some of the paths are bridleways. They would tut at mountain bikers anywhere.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I think the wording is more for walkers so they have less to moan about if they encounter a bike outside the ban hours / months, and can feel happy there’s a “rule”. Though the times & dates could be more prominent.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

The volutary ban was set up with the help of NWBA or the North Wales Mountain Bike Association around the early 90s. Adrian Walls was instramental in setting it up.

This was mainly due to people from large cities who had never been up a mountain or had any respect for walkers riding flat out down the mountain.

Please stick to the agreed times, mid week evenings are the best, reach the top 30mins before dusk.

kayak23

I prefer common sense to a ban though especially on a bridleway

I think we all prefer common sense. Trouble is, many folk don’t have it and so that wording, and it is really only wording, is easier for those not blessed with common sense to understand.

chakaping
    Free Member

Whatever you think about the agreement, it has worked reasonably well.

It’s interesting that it’s still a one-off – and personally I’d hope it stays that way.

convert

Snowdon is a honeypot for noobs whether on 2 feet or 2 wheels. In high season I personally find it a horror show of Gortex. It does serve a marvelous purpose to keep them all in one neat spot – like a voluntary kettling. If it takes a few rules to keep them all playing nicely together and happy in their ignorance then so be it.

Interesting place stw. You can get banned for calling someone a **** but you can’t seem to get banned for advocating **** like behaviour. An STW ban for advising on a public forum the selfish disregard of a voluntary ban negotiated by our mountain biking forebears for the benefit of all would seem pretty reasonable to me.

dyls

There are soo many walkers on Snowdon, it isn’t enjoyable on a bike when its busy anyway. It isn’t really an enjoyable hike when its busy either!

ndthornton
    Free Member

Interesting place stw. You can get banned for calling someone a **** but you can’t seem to get banned for advocating **** like behaviour. An STW ban for advising on a public forum the selfish disregard of a voluntary ban negotiated by our mountain biking forebears

Perhaps its fee speech? Do you want to ban that too?

oldtennisshoes

Interesting place stw. You can get banned for calling someone a **** but you can’t seem to get banned for advocating **** like behaviour. An STW ban for advising on a public forum the selfish disregard of a voluntary ban negotiated by our mountain biking forebears for the benefit of all would seem pretty reasonable to me.

Who’s doing that?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

What on earth makes you think we have free speech?

Both on STW and in the real world we can’t abuse people for race, religion, gender, sexuality etc etc and that’s a very good thing.

Back on topic abusing the voluntary agreement is just silly. And if you look at the photos of the summit queues from Easter it’s not hard to see why the agreement is there.

oldtennisshoes

convert Subscriber
    You are you tool

I’m really not.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon voluntary ban’ is closed to new replies.