Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Snowdon, solo, 1 day, mad?
  • bradley
    Free Member

So mum and dad n friends are staying in a chalet thing one weekend at the end of May. Am I crazy to drive there (4hrs) climb it with them, kids included, 5 hours, ride down on my own and then drive home? Is this too much? Any other alternatives???

globalti
    Free Member

Stay overnight at The Heights hotel at the foot of the railway and set off very early next morning when the roads will be empty?

bradley
    Free Member

Was trying to avoid staying overnight, fiancee will be 28 weeks pregnant…

simon1975

Presumably you know about the bridleway agreement? You should wait until after 5pm before riding anything.

bradley
    Free Member

Yeah I was aware, its not looking likely anyway. Will just spend a day at Aston instead…:(

martinhutch

Sounds doable – drive to Llanberis, have leisurely lunch, walk/push up in the afternoon timing yourself to arrive at the summit at 4/4.30pm, put kids and friends on the train back down, ride down Rangers/Telegraph.

You wouldn’t be far behind them. Still a bit of a drive home, mind. Are you sure a 28-week preggers woman wouldn’t be able to sleep in a different bed – you could always bail if she’s not up to it.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

the bridleway thing only applies from end of march to october or somewhere around there… do it, you will feel right manly!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

limitations on riding Snowdon are only between 1st May and 30th September IIRC, so if you’re thinking of doing it in the near future you can ride any time.

And no, you’re not mad, if you get the chance, its worth it.

28 weeks? Psht, you’ve got ages. When my wife was 39 weeks pregnant I spent the day in Kielder forest, no phone reception, >1 hour’s ride from car, 1.5 hours drive from home.
    When she gave birth (2 days later) it took 3 hours start to finish. 🙂

MartynS

put kids and friends on the train back down, ride down Rangers/Telegraph.

Last time I was thee you couldn’t do a on way journey on the train..

plumber
    Free Member

I did it from London last year. I wouldn’t recommend it to be honest

martinhutch

Last time I was thee you couldn’t do a on way journey on the train..

You can, but it’s not guaranteed you’ll get a place. Doesn’t take that long to walk down though.

james
    Free Member

“You should wait until after 5pm before riding anything”
    Perfect excuse to push/carry it all the way up then.

Solo
    Free Member

Snowdon, Solo, 1 day, mad?

Probably.

😥

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The climb and ride isn’t too taxing, however the driving might be? You will also need a backup plan incase you stack, though.

Curious, has anyone ridden the full section down to the first meeting with the railway? We took the trainline [when it wasn’t running], and in the rain it was pretty bloody scary at 30mph, only a 20cm strip with sleepers to the left, and track’s toothed strip and the drop, ad the right a ditch and rocky wall… eerk. I was NOT in control on the Pig…. But the pile of vertical slates that make up part of the upper path was too dangerous to ride, the laserations wold have been surgery-worthy!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You can get up and down llanberis path sub 3:30. I rode it one evening ony own with reasonable care and pads. I’m no riding God! Do it off peak to avoit foot traffic and with decent weather.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

what’s the connection between not wanting to stay overnight and the missus being pregnant?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Curious, has anyone ridden the full section down to the first meeting with the railway?

Apart from the summit steps yes. Though I had a small tumble on one rocky corner. The scary section for me was the long steep very loose slate gravel slopes to the railway arch. Quite difficult to stay in control. Ended up braking too much. The staircase is easier than it looks and then the rest is pure fun flowy and hoppy over the little rock gardens back to the gate and tarmac. Really want to do ranger path this year.

Hope you get good views like I did .

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Curious, has anyone ridden the full section down to the first meeting with the railway?

Yes, under some pressure to clear it as we were being watched by walkers. Those steps arent so bad, but you need them to be clear before committing. There’s a tricky s-bend further down, maybe where Buzz had his tumble. If you’re doing the Rangers, this gives you a taste of what’s coming later.

martinhurton
    Free Member

We did it one morning (up and down before the train). Took 1h 40mins to get to the top, 20mins ride time down if you exclude the puncture repair 😈 Agree that the loose bit before the railway bridge is the worst part of the decent. Stayed on teh bridleway all of the way down.

I’d recommend staying over the night before and riding early morning. Leave at 6am and you should be down in plenty of time before the first train (which used to be the agreement).

You don’t really want to be on it with walkers on the path.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon, solo, 1 day, mad?’ is closed to new replies.