Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Snowdon – Help needed.
  • Mooly
    Free Member

Hi there.
    Thinking about heading over to Snowdon at the weekend and wanted some advice on campsites, routes etc.
    Heading over after conference in Kettering on Friday night so will have a big walk up the hill on Saturday, route recommendations welcome, and then head home to Exeter via ?Afan? other suggestions welcome? for some biking on the Sunday.
    If anyone has knowledge and experience of climbing Snowdon I’m all ears.
    Thanks

Junkyard
    Free Member

bike?
    Up the Llanberis down the Rangers and turn right before the zig zags is the standard route

If walking there are better options than that route IMHO

ivornardon2
    Free Member

If you’re walking: park at Pen y Pass on Llanberris Pass, Crib Goch ridge to Snowdon, Bwlch Saethau, Y Llwedd, down to Llyn Llydaw then pick up Miners’ back to Pen y Pass. Classic walk; a “must do”. Do check my spelling though.

jekkyl

Snowdon as a mountain was a bit boring imo. I’ve done a few mountains (walking and cycling) and was just a little unimpressed by snowdon in comparison to the lakes mountains. There might be better routes around there (I love walking through forest for eg) so not necessarily up the mountain but I don’t know the area well enough to advise. don’t forget the voluntary ban on bikes is now in effect.

Mooly
    Free Member

Walking as I’ve never done Snowdon before. If there are better routes than just Snowdon then please let me know. Its a rare opportunity to walk without the kids so want to get the most out of it.
    Cheers.

ivornardon2
    Free Member

Is there still a voluntary ban on bikes during certain times and certain months?

Campsites: two on the A5 to the right of Llyn Ogwen. Gwern Gof Uchaf – very boggy and one bog and no shower. Gwern Gof Isaf – slightly better. But neither of them within walking distace of a pub.
    Better one at GR 648525. Could even do Snowdon from this camp site but I’ve never tried it.

Or there’s plenty of YHAs. But I can’t stand them and their pissed on bog seats. And it’s half term.

dirtydog
    Free Member

We usually stay at Llyn Gwynant campsite, if you fancy a long walk the Watkin Path starts at the end of the lake. They’re ok with fires and canoe hire is available.

Perfect walking base for Snowdon – camp by the lake or river under the mountain

Hopefully we’ll be there this weekend 😀

If you want to get away from the crowds then try the Llyn Cowlyd loop.

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/llyn-cowlyd/

ivornardon2
    Free Member

From A5 Gwern Gof Uchaf campsite: up Tryfan, Glyder Fach, Glyder Fawr, Y Garn and any route back down to A5.

Same campsite gives you immediate access to the Carneddau range. I could go on and on…

jambourgie
    Free Member

Is Crib Goch advisable for the normal ‘bloke on the street’ as it were?

piemonster

If you’ve a good head for heights and sure footedness, and there’s good weather. It’s ok. There’s nothing difficult too it, the pinnacles are a bit airy but there’s nothing particularly technical.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Cool, I’ve always wanted to give it a go. But generally had to go up the Llanberis due to being with family. I’ll make sure I’ve got some decent footwear. As for ‘a good head for heights’, well I’ll find out soon enough 😯

piemonster

There’s nothing difficult too it

Sorry, that should have read

Theres nothing too difficult too it

Plenty of pictures out there to give you an idea.

BoomBip
    Free Member

OP, you don’t say what sort of stuff you’ve done before but, erring on the side of caution, I’d definitely google photos of some of the routes being suggested – if you’re not into using your hands on rock and/or exposure, you could really struggle on Crib Goch or Tryfan.

Otherwise, Glyder Fach – Glyder Fawr – Y Garn is a good shout as Snowdon on its own is pretty dull

molgrips
    Free Member

Snowdon as a mountain was a bit boring

No, it’s excellent. There’s loads of routes up it, loads of variations. Crib Goch is a UK highlight imo.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

If taking kids, maybe camp in Beddgelert? Watkin path is easy-going and has some great views on clear days. Bit of loose scree towards the top but kids should cope fine.

piemonster

Go up the Watkins Path, come down he south ridge is a nice trot out. You don’t have to arrive at silly o’clock to find a parking space like Pen Y Pass either.

justatheory
    Free Member

This is a lovely campsite with great facilities and in a good location for walking Snowdon. It’s situated on the edge of Llyn Cwellyn and Beddgelert Forest.

http://www.snowdoninn.co.uk/

globalti
    Free Member

Crib Goch and the horseshoe is a Welsh classic, something that everybody who enjoys walking ought to do once in their lives.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Yep, probably worth having a go at the horseshoe, but its quite a long route with a fair bit of ridge style scrambling.
    But Snowdon does get very busy and I tend to avoid unless its in winter conditions or for a quick evening ride in the summer. Down just before dark.

Some quieter walks include Moel Siabod via the Daear Ddu ridge (South face), along the ridge at the top and back down.

Cnicht is a good one. Not well known but very nice. Walk from the valley to the west (Nanmor I believe) up to the summit. Then head north along the ridge and back down.

BoomBip
    Free Member

^^^^^^ good calls there

molgrips
    Free Member

The Horseshoe is indeed great but it’s a loooong day out.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

going to warm and sunny this weekend, that means more folk will be out doing their ting– so for me i would avoid snowdon and its queues, there are plenty of other great routes– you could do the nantlle ridge–using the sherpa bus to avoid circular walks, great little service, willstop anywhere on route– nantlle gives spectacular views, a bit of exposure but no crowds– you can start the nantlle end and finish in the pub in rhyd ddu , bus back to beddgelert/llanberis/waunfawr/capel –whatever.

The Carneddau range are also great, much less crowded than the glyders or eryri– but have great high level walking– the bible for the scrambler is Steve ashton’s Scrambles in Snowdonia– top routes, easy to follow– the llech ddu spur in the carneddau is one of my favs’ –great scramble that takes you almostto thesummit of Carnedd Dafydd–but there are many you can pick …..one thing you have plenty of choice–its not all about one mountain—

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon – Help needed.’ is closed to new replies.