Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Snowdon – 'essential' gear
  • saxabar
    Free Member

Whatever you would take on a 4hr ride, plus two extra tubes, a repair kit (assuming do not normally carry one) and an OS map (unless you are absolutely sure you know where the Telegraph Valley turn-off is). While it is just a bigger version of what I imagine you’ve ridden up countless times – do be willing to turn back if conditions on the ascent take a turn for the worse.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

The most important advice is to go as a group all the gear and space balankets wont be any use if your have a serious off. A partner can provide help and summon assitance which will save your life.

fairhurst
    Free Member

I think what Sanny lists makes perfect sense to me,the risk is too dear,it is a high mountain peak, with highly techinical terrain,hence why i for one will be taking all of what sanny suggests with me.

Are there any guided ride’s that go up there? as safety is of the upmost importance to me,.

freeagent
    Free Member

It is just a big hill, and some of you worry too much..

However, Having previously exticated a man with a dislocated hip from the bottom of a waterfall in the snowy mountains, three hours from the nearest phone signal and 6 hours from Melbourne hospital, and dealt with a friend with a mangled hand 5 hours drive from the nearest town in Morocco i’d say take whatever you feel comfortable with… as in both instances there were things we wished we had…

I’d probably take my usual riding pack with a few extra bits, knee and elbow pads, but if taking a full expedition pack on your back makes you happy then go for it…

MrGreedy

Safety issues aside, how technical is the Ranger path compared to, say, the N Wales trail centres*?

*Don’t want to start a man-made v natural debate, just chosen as a benchmark that many on here will have experience of

portlyone

Ranger path isn’t that dangerous, unless I slip while carrying my bike 😉

RustySpanner

It’s not just a ‘big hill’.
    It’s a mountain.

Just because it’s got a railway and a caff doesn’t mean it can’t be dangerous.
    Ice & snow on the Llanberis (railway) path above Cloggy is particularly dodgy – some very experienced people have fallen there, because it looks so benign and you can’t see the extent of the drop, or stop yourself if you start to slide when snow is on the ground.

I’m nowhere near good enough to ride down the Rangers path, but walk it a couple of times a year – compared to somewhere like CYB I’d personally say it’s way beyond anything you’d find in a trail centre because of the loose surface, unpredictability of the conditions and the potential consequences of getting it wrong.

I’ve got genuine respect for anyone who attempts it, but you need to show it a bit of respect in return.

Steeper than it looks in the videos too.

EDIT, The ice cream shop opposite Pete’s is excellent and have a play in Dinorwic quarry if you’ve got time, it’s ace.

The chippy’s pretty damn fine as well.

You can get spare tubes at the bike hire place in town, near the lake if you run out.

Sanny
    Free Member

I like the comment about what’s between your ears being important. A bit of common sense goes a long way and the advice about riding with mates is sound too. Something I should have remembered up Braeriach last year while negotiating a snow field on a steep banking at the head of Glen Einich where I ended up having to inch my way along between the steep slope and a big bank of snow and ice which had come away from it, post holing my handlebars into the snow to stop my bike from skittering down onto the boulder field below. Stupid bugger, I thought to myself as I could have taken a slightly longer but easier route. 😆

At the end of the day, have fun, take pics and tell us about it after. 😀

mccett
    Free Member

Go with kit for changeable conditions… this was Christmas day 2007, cracking day, hike a bike up Rangers…

To this….

To this….wheeee!!

Take all day ride stuff, plus more tubes. Have only punctured once but still take about 4 tubes. Good bits of kit for the way down was the goggles as the wind was blowing a hooly so was good to be able to see properly, leg warmers as you’re not pedalling much but get cold (if you’re doing it in sub 10 degree weather). Done it a few times now, every time i say I’ll do it on flats next time for the bits you have to walk…..one day I will use flats.

Also, go Christmas Day, you have the place to yourself 🙂

grum
    Free Member

A warm coat?

dday

Planning a trip in May. Given the ban, what time would we need to start in order to get down by 10am? Is it worth it?

cheburashka
    Free Member

It snowed there pretty heavily on Sat night / Sun morning, only above about 1000ft though.

The most valuable thing you can take is another human being.

+1 for Petes Eats, the monster omelette comes recommended.

binners

Dear god! There’s some proper fannies on here. Whats the worst that can happen? You get a bit cold? You run out of tubes and have to push your bike down a bit? MTFU!*

dday – we got down on Friday night, got leathered at the pub in llanberis, kipped under the stars in the field next to it (didn’t even bother with a bivvi bag) Then woke up when the sun came up, grabbed our bikes and headed up. Set off before 6.30. Plenty time

* or alternatively do it in July. Like we did 😀

grum
    Free Member

dday – we got down on Friday night, got leathered at the pub in llanberis, kipped under the stars in the field next to it (didn’t even bother with a bivvi bag) Then woke up when the sun came up, grabbed our bikes and headed up. Set off before 6.30. Plenty time

:swoon:

portlyone

My two mates went through my supply of spare tubes (after their own) on Telegraph Alley.

I always take a wind proof and spare layer since it get get very windy and therefore cold at the top. Winter gloves too since most of the time I can’t feel my fingers coming down from the summit!

RustySpanner

A real man wouldn’t use shaving foam either 🙂

binners

Chainsaws are gay! I’ve now upped the ante a bit. I have the grim reaper turn up every morning and shave me with his scythe, while I insult his mother

lowey

Its ace! Ranger is one of my favorite descents in the country. I’ve never came across anything as remotely technical at a trail centre.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

space blankets are a bit useless, buy a proper emergency bag instead, pretty much the same size as a blanket and will last forever or until you need it.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Lowey’s advice from yesterday is good advice – park at the Ranger Station.

You’ll probably use more tubes on Telegraph Alley than later on the Rangers descent, mainly because of the speed and number of drainage bars. Each clumsy strike and there goes another tube.
    I managed to put a half inch incision in the tread of my rear (spesh storm tubeless)on that bit when we last did it in January. Not a pinch-flat, a pure flint cut!
    The Rangers path is great. Flats aren’t a big issue on there as the occasional techier bits have to be taken slow anyway. IIRC there are only two rocky steps that might have you dismounting, maybe 5 metres max of walking. The rest is just pure fun. Enjoy.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Too dim to understand that the most important bit of safety kit you have is between your ears.

That says to me that you know the importance of being prepared. 😉

Just because it’s got a railway and a caff doesn’t mean it can’t be dangerous.

I’d go so far as to argue that it lulls you into a false sense of security. On training for the Welsh 3000s we met a load of scousers in tees and trainers where the paths merge from Crib Goch (our route up) and the railway track (I forget the correct name). Half of me was impressed because they were obviously suffering but getting on with it, and the other half was in a state of amazement be because they were obviously cold and carrying nothing other than the odd jacket or carrier bag.

MrGreedy

I’m nowhere near good enough to ride down the Rangers path, but walk it a couple of times a year – compared to somewhere like CYB I’d personally say it’s way beyond anything you’d find in a trail centre because of the loose surface, unpredictability of the conditions and the potential consequences of getting it wrong.

IIRC there are only two rocky steps that might have you dismounting, maybe 5 metres max of walking. The rest is just pure fun. Enjoy.

Aah, good old STW consensus!

binners

I walked up Snowdon in March. There was a woman up at the top in shorts and flip flops! 😯

Mike_D
    Free Member

Do it, it’s ace.

AndyP
    Free Member

Don’t forget to set up base camp and do several equipment drops prior to the attempt itself.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Don’t forget to set up base camp and do several equipment drops prior to the attempt itself.

And recruit some locals to carry your bikes to the top. 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

recruit some locals to carry your bikes to the top

That is probably the best bit of advice on this thread.

binners

If you go to the pub in Llanberis on Friday night, then nothing that can happen on Snowdon, in fact Nothing that can happen ever will scare you

_tom_
    Free Member

Mike D is it all like that? That looks almost a complete opposite to the kind of trails I like to ride 0_0

yossarian
    Free Member

I read this as ‘Swindon – ‘essential’ gear’ 😯

Harpoon gun
    Breadcrumbs for retracing your steps
    Coloured beads for bartering with the locals

snaps
    Free Member

Shinythings doin’ it when we went up first Monday in October

fairhurst
    Free Member

i don’t think you joke about going up Snowdon!!!

i for one will be applying strict rules as to what to take,hence i will be taking my 30L camelback full to the brim with all the equipment,should i fail and have to sleep up there.

my other half wont ride it with me as he’s not as keen as me 😥

I_Ache
    Free Member

No its because she doesn’t want to have to deal with all that shit. Take a chill pill.

fairhurst
    Free Member

Huh i was only stating a fact that it’s no joke,taking the essential equipment is vital for doing this kind of biking.

and she is a he!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Seriously you really don’t make it sound fun. While I agree that you should be prepared I also think that you shouldn’t go over the top as it takes the fun out of it.

Oh and apologies for misreading and typing she.

fairhurst
    Free Member

apology accepted 🙂
    fun,preparation,full equipment sorted.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Mike D’s picture is just before what is possibly the hardest section, but its only relatively short, and theres a chicken run anyway.

The rangers path is not remotely like any trail centre I’ve ridden. There are some superficial similarities between some of it and the munsters sections of CyB from back in the day before they were re-worked. If you’re used to being fed a line by trail centers, Rangers will, IMO, be a very rude awakening for you.

If you’re uncomfortable with moderately slow, steep wheel drops, sometimes at the balance point and often threading through smallish gaps, with little run-out and not much space before the next drop to compose yourself, or if you favour flow, then you’re not going to have much fun on the rangers path.

fozzyuk

So as not a huge technical rider, who fancies doing this solo, in a reasonable amount of gear / not hungover way how doable is it.

Is it like a Fort William mandatory air type thing or can I ride and drop etc…

Kind of fancy it 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Honestly, if the weather is clear it’s a scream – go for it – its proper mountain biking.

Just tell someone where/when you are going, take a little survival bag and a fully charged phone in case you cant walk or ride out; just like you do on normal rides. The only real difference to a “normal” riding outing is that it can be unusually cold and windy so dress appropriately.

winrya
    Free Member

OP if rangers path looks a bit technical, give the llanberis descent you’ve climbed a go down. I’ve done both a few times and find the extra speed and flow much more fun. If I’m honest, the llanberis descent is probably my favourite ride in the uk. I cant wait to go again in a couple of weeks:)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon – 'essential' gear’ is closed to new replies.