Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Snow status – Hebden Bridge?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Hoping to get some riding in around Hebden Bridge this weekend. Is it likely?

hebdenbiker
    Free Member

Cragg Vale shut yesterday and today. Could be huge fun to ride this if it is covered in snow.

mike399
    Free Member

Haven’t been out on the bike since the snow, so can’t really comment on off road trail stuff, but there are still some fairly mean drifts on the tops of the hills which don’t seem to be going anywhere soon…

johnellison
    Free Member

Roads are nearly all open except some of the more exposed routes, but there’s still a lot of deep (and I mean DEEP – think 6 feet or more) snow drifts up the tops. Also a lot of boiler-plate ice in patches. It’s tricky walking in places at the moment.

EDIT – it’s also snowing steadily this morning in the Todmorden area.

DPM

We were up there last weekend. Car & bikes still up there due to deep drifting on the exposed high roads, which were between where we were staying & the main road. Hoping to get back there sometime later this week to collect them. Feels like we have left half our familly behind 🙁

Keen to know how conditions develop this week (obviously!)

There were DEEP drifts last weekend – covering the roads to the height of the dry stone walls. Walking was difficult. The bikes were not used once.

brant
    Free Member

I rode from Hebden to Walsden. Was quite challenging on the track from back of Horsehold up to the Pennine Way by the Pike. London Road largely ok going but I was on a Fatty with 3psi in the tyres.
    Ed from greatrock has moved his skills days to Dalby and Grizedale as snow is deep here.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Just down the valley but around Norland theres still 6ft drifts and roads closed. I think it sounds like we had it down here possibly worse than many other places…

qtip

I live in West Yorkshire and if Hebden Bridge is anything like where I live (the other side of the M62 from Hebden) then I can confirm that it is ‘snowy as a bastard’! Still snowing today with snow for the rest of the week forecast.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Anyone got an update from today? Cheers!

Clover

There’s an unnatural glow in the air and no flakes of the white stuff have fallen. How much this will affect the snow on the ground is difficult to know.

I farm up at the Mankinholes end of London Road and the deal seems to be that the fields are fine but the snow was blown onto any path, track or road and if just left to melt seems to be doing that really slowly. I’ll be giving riding a go tomorrow but expect it to be variable.

chipps

Yep. In parts it’s very rideable with some great trail conditions. In other bits, there are six foot drifts to wade over. We were out for a couple of hours today and probably rode 70% of stuff and had to walk the rest. Bring good shoes and a sense of humour and you’ll have a fine day. There doesn’t seem to be any/much ice around any more, just some big-ass drifts next to the walls (which is usually where the trails are too…)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Did a road ride yesterday, took in the Long Causeway from Cliviger to Heptonstall – road is clear but there are 10ft (i kid you not) deep drifts in places, i measured them roughly with the bike 😆

Snow is patchy on the hills, but were it is its deep.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Anybody able to share an update on Calderdale trail conditions?
    Has all the white stuff gone yet from the moortops and/or the classic descents?
    Cheers

Clover

Nearly! The Blue Pig was already fine by last weekend. London Road fine. Where were you thinking?
    There’s still the odd bit in odd places – the bigger drifts are taking a while to clear but more melted today. Bit breezy out though.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Thanks, sounds encouraging for a weekend ride then.
    Thinking stuff like front of the Pike, Kebab Street, Midget’s Pit, Stanny’s, Peckett Well, Midget’s Pit might be clear???

What about more exposed moorland stuff like Limers Gate and Ripper Dipper?
    Ta

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Was riding around hebden Friday and Saturday conditions were fine hardly any snow, check out the vid-
    Hope you enjoy! 😛
    https://vimeo.com/m/63455404

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Snow status – Hebden Bridge?’ is closed to new replies.