Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Snow Rides – how deep before it's not worth it ?
  • RobinL

Was fairly determined to go out for a ride today but here in West Yorkshire the snow is over 6 inches deep. I don’t think I’ll get far if I try but is it really worth the effort ?

Drac

Yes

RoterStern
    Free Member

If it’s fresh powder then definitely a big YES!

shermer75
    Free Member

Yule be fine

mrelectric

^^ +1

Hope to get out in WY too. Its only 6″ (154mm) in the drifts…

grievoustim
    Free Member

Fresh = fun

Old and frozen/ compacted – not a lot of fun

singlespeedstu

*looks at new fatbike wheels and 4.8 tyres*
    *looks out of window at not much snow*
    *is dissapointed*

Vortexracing

never mind your bloody fatbike, show us a piccie of that 2souls built up

FOG

It is not just the riding. I was out in the last lot of snow and found it almost impossible to pedal because of ice in the pedals and the cleats. Even on flats you build up a block of ice. Still it was a good laff and I can only recommend it however deep

mrmo
    Free Member

couple of inches soon starts to drag, ok for an hour but after two/three hours pain in the arse, and if it isn’t that cold so there is mud beneath the snow then it is no fun at all.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bastards all I’ve got is moistness.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Biking home last night, both smallest rings on the back cassette iced up so couldn’t use them because of chain slip

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

snowing like buggery here in Colchester at the moment going out tomorrow should be intresting as far as ice build up on pedals i’ve found that a dose of wd40 on pedal/cleat before setting off helps never had problem with ice build up on flats

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Deeper than Paul Robeson’s voice out here, hockey match cancelled so some snowbikery is in order.

Reckon it’s about 5-8″, bit claggy but worth a go. 😀

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Anything above 6″ of actual snowfall and its like constantly riding uphill, last time I went out a few weeks ago in the snow the bike stopped on a downhill that I usually would be going down at over 20mph.

It’s fun but hard work, 5miles in deep snow knackers me that for sure.

epicyclo

FOG – Member
    It is not just the riding. I was out in the last lot of snow and found it almost impossible to pedal because of ice in the pedals and the cleats. Even on flats you build up a block of ice. Still it was a good laff and I can only recommend it however deep

That problem can be easily avoided by using track pedals or old fashioned touring pedals. There’s very little metal to suck the heat out of your foot, and the open design means you don’t get a buildup of ice. The bonus is you can wear footwear more suited to the conditions.

This sort of thing:

Coyote
    Free Member

It’s not the snow itself but rather what’s underneath it.

Went out in Jan after a good snowfall, front wheel caught a length of very smooth, icy wood under the snow and down I went. Two weeks with a strapped wrist, another two before I could ride again.

I’ll wait till it melts thanks.

butcher

Depends what you’re doing.

I went out for a 30 mile ride the other week in probably over 6 inches of fresh powder. Every mile felt like ten. My speed was averaging about 4mph and I stopped and pondered giving up several time. I did opt for the road near the half way point once I got out of civilization and from then on I really enjoyed it. It was a bit like riding on the moon. Or at least how I imagine it to be.

Everyone looked at me as if I was some kind of lunatic. Some laughed. And by the time I got back I felt like I’d done 100 miles. All in all it was challenging and enjoyable.

The next week after more snowfall I attempted another ride and with around a foot or so of fresh snow I couldn’t even move. Front wheel would dig in and the back just spun. I ended up walking a few feet before giving up.

It’s not the snow itself but rather what’s underneath it.

This is something you need to be careful about, especially off road. The snow may be flat, but you’ll find many hidden gifts underneath. I once fell face first into the snow while walking the dog when my leading leg sank waist deep…

jekkyl

You defo get the fear on downhills.

meehaja
    Free Member

Riding to work today in Leeds wad great! Classic kid style locking back brake up and sliding the back end out! Downhills are scary though as others have said. I once did a Yorkshire moors snowy ride, it was funny once we were warm and safe but was silly during the ride, having no idea where the trail was and vision limited by fog

ahwiles
    Free Member

Snow Rides – how deep before it’s not worth it ?

we’re way beyond that, send help.

(tell the ‘help’ to bring biscuits)

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

Well, we have between 3ft and 6ft and I went out for a road ride today, not nice , even with leg stabilisers! Couldnt see anything underwheel, have to follow the tractor marks which meant a dodgy ride whereby your pedals hit the drifts on every rotation. Drifting is fun though, most fun you can have at less than 10k!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just been up on Baildon Moor. 3 miles in 1hr!

Some places almost grass as the wind has blown all the snow, some places 10ft drifts as below.

I think 3-4″ is fine, more than that you get stuck. Having said that some of the steeper downhills with about 4ft deep snow were rideable with weight balanced just right, then comedy over the bars.

I also think wide tyres are better than thin. Today I was on 1.8 mud sharks and the front end was a lot more sketchy than when I used 2.25’s last time we had decent snow.

If I’m honest cross country skis would have been more fun today!

shredder
    Free Member

Not far from you Funky great couple of hours around Esholt & Calverley

scotroutes

Just up round the Pentlands. The snow/ice is fine but it’s a bitterly cold and very strong wind.

clunker

Who needs a fat bike….

docrobster
    Free Member

Just spent an hour pushing through thigh deep snow drifts over houndkirk moor. I’d say it is probably a bit too deep in places.
    Even the 4×4 guys gave it a miss today. 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Snow Rides – how deep before it's not worth it ?’ is closed to new replies.