Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Snow problem
  • trevron73
    Free Member

Thursday the snow came so we had a snowball fight at work – inter department – Now a worker has called in sick and my directors have summonsed me to a meeting as the snowball fight was my idea ? Really is this happening ? i am in shock ? so far it is informal but the rumour is it will become formal at the meeting and i will be asked to resign. As i have made some unpopular decisions for the business.decisions that the company needed to do but maybe i have become too much of a pain in the arse ? No letters have been issued as yet and the directors are my business partners ? 🙄 The worker off sick is 40 as am i – yes the snowball wa childish and fun – but it was meant to bring departments together not to lose me my Job??

somafunk

Your joking right?, tell them to **** do one.

Disclaimer : I have never had the kind of job where there was such a thing as departments/directors or meetings so take my advice with a pinch of salt, in fact my advice prob explains why I have never had such a job 😉

trevron73
    Free Member

I plan to tell them to think about
    “if you do what you have always done you will get what you have always got “
    he one thing a creator can bring to the table when everybody else has all the money and power is centeredness and the ability to walk away. Never sit at a table you can’t walk away from. I plan to walk away and watch the party unfold .

seadog101

Really? Horseplay – everyone involved gets some of the blame. Could be grounds for unfair dismissal. Who threw the injurious snowball? Were you the most senior person involved (probably looking for someone to carry the can)? Did people have the option not to take part?

Hate to say it but: Risk Assessment? <this will be troublesome.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

What’s the worker sick with?
    Frost bite?

zeffir
    Free Member

If they hit you with breach of h&s I would definitely recommend them to do one. Risk assessment only required when there is a significant risk and as appropriate for a snowball fight as for a game of conkers. Anyone willingly participating accepted any risk involved by default, and any injuries hardly took place during work. You unfortunately seem to have a few chancers at your place!

timba
    Free Member

This myth

irc

Sounds a bit like someone calling in sick after a game of 5 a side. Would they discipline someone for that? Though if during working hours that might be more the issue. Presume this was after work at night. In which case can’t see they have much of a case.

JoeG
    Free Member

You need to bring a briefcase to the meeting with snowballs in it! 🙂

jekkyl

If they ask you to leave by email after the meeting send yourself the email to your personal ad.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Did any of the other directors see it? If so state you observed them watching and as they did nothing to stop it they share the same responsibility.

ricky1
    Free Member

In a nutshell they want rid of you then?

imnotverygood

Ask them to provide evidence of the snowballs. I bet they won’t be able to produce any.

trevron73
    Free Member

ricky 1 – in a nutshell , and i am not very good , i would love to use this ha ha where is the evidence ?
    😆

user-removed
    Free Member

My old work tried to sack me for pretty much exactly the same thing – got hailed into a meeting six months later and the manager had a 20 page report detailing the incident.

I literally laughed in his face, asked him if he was serious and walked out of the meeting. Left a year later anyway and went full time self employed.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Did someone hide a stone in the snowball? That was an old school favourite (not of mine!)

😆

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Refuse to attend the meeting?, call in sick etc . . . mess then about until they lose all enthusiasm for this petty meeting.

In my limited experience of HR people I have found them to be talentless business wannabes, I detest them.

ninfan
    Free Member

Seems the default ‘trick’ among HR people now to call an ‘ investigatory’ or ‘fact finding’ meeting in which you have no right to be accompanied etc at the point in the process that would have previously been reserved for a proper disciplinary meeting (IIRC there was case law on this a few years ago, and since then it’s been creeping through the HR community as a way round the law)
    I’ve been caught by it myself and wish I had just refused to discuss anything
    Essentially, if they want to discipline you then they will have to give you notice and a formal meeting, don’t play the informal game as they will screw you over

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Challenge them to settle it like men.

Snowballs at noon.

maccruiskeen

Who threw the injurious snowball?

More to the point I’d also want to know if the injured party was throwing snowballs. If a passer by/non participant was hit and harmed thats fair grounds for them to complain – but if they got as good as they were prepared to give it seems to be a non issue unless the thrower was getting out of hand

project
    Free Member

If you do get asked to leave, there is not much oportunity for Snow Ball Fight arrangers, Perhaps try Iceland or other cold places and relocate.

Seriously depends if co-worker,jobsworth was injured and is now pursuing a claim against the company, and how much they want you to leave, or they may just be winding you up to make an example of poor wpork practices to others.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Pretty much the same happened to me before Christmas (minus snowballs).Summoned for a verbal warning for something fictitious that ‘happened’ months previously.
    When I refuted the accusation I was told it was irrelevant and he’d ‘find’ something else.
    So I told him to ~$%£” off (which is what he wanted but screw em).

Inbred456
    Free Member

Ha I slipped on ice late at night that had melted and ran over the path outside work. Fell straight on my 4rse!
    Bastards got it on Camera at work proceeded to show everyone at work what a clumsy arse I was!!! Glad I don’t work in your type of environment. You need to get out of there!

shifter
    Free Member

I’d sack you for your odd use of question marks.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Snow problem’ is closed to new replies.