Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Snow in snowy countries
  • zokes
    Free Member

And pound for pound is probably the best thing to do, thanks to the wonderful government and financial sectors based in: you’ve guessed it – London, as apart from coincidentally Turkey, Iceland and Zimbabwe, noone else wants stirling any more.

mt
    Free Member

Rudeboy, it’s a cesspit with an open sewer running throuh it. Like all capital cities the place is full of people that think the rest of the country owes them. Like the former wealth generators of the bankrupt north (mines, mills, manufacturing) Londons time is over. The Scots have had enough, the good folk in Wales, so now it’s time remove the strangle hold of London from the North, let the pie eating pies nations unit (not eel pie eaters).
    As an attempt keep on topic, Helsinki is a pretty good city and they really know how to deal with snow. They are bit rude about the Laps north of the artic circle though.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yawn….

Bored now.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

If I were to be drawn into this Paddedfredboy, I’d dispute your claim that London is the world’s greatest city, as I doubt that calling it a city is tenable any longer.

And as for the original post, the ‘apocalypse now’ mentality that engulfs the south (roughly anywhere below preston-leeds-hull :wink:) whenever anything remotely resembling a snowflake is sighted is pathetic. Much of the rest of the world can, and does, deal with these things without a murmur, whether it’s a regular occurance or a freak instance.

zokes
    Free Member

RudeBoy – Member
    Yawn….

Bored now.

Why? Have you realised the task I set you of demonstrating just what makes London such a great place to live and such an important place on the UK and global scales is more difficult than you initially envisaged before you had considered all the facts?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Love the way ‘London’ is responsible for the current economic crisis.

Not the entire rest of the nation spending more than they could afford, oh no…

Ah, loving the vitriol, people!

Zokes- I just can’t be bothered, tbh. I’ve done it many times before. Just look through me previous posts.

That should keep you busy for a few weeks!

mt
    Free Member

Zokes, a “yawn” from rudeboy, does that mean it’s home time? Bloody hell! theres snow everywhere.

devs
    Free Member

Snow in this quantity last occurred 18 years ago.

Here is the point. This is true for London maybe but certainly not around thse parts. Wow. I bet all the doublechoccamochlatte shops are going bust as the severe arctic conditions cause everyone to stay at home and drink Harrods instant instead.
    If London collapses because of this severe weather event can we have the money from the banking bailout instead? We might even be able to afford to get the road and rail snow ploughs out of storage and find some grit with money like that.

andym
    Free Member

noone else wants stirling any more

Why would anyone not want Stirling? It’s a great place. Lovely castle. And then there’s the Wallace memorial.

Anyway – have a quick look at the weather map on the BBC website – clearly showing snow all the way down the east coast of the UK. Oh yes but it’s all about London isn’t it?

And which are the banks in the worst trouble (here’s a clue: Halifax Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland, Northern Rock – coincidence? or all part of the London plot?)

IanMunro
    Free Member

I can’t be bothered to read this thread in full, but i’m sure it’s full of the normal petitiness you’d normally expect on these threads.
    However through observation of the country lane outside my house today I can conclude that BMWs are the slowest most out of control cars on the road and 2CVs are the fastest. Tractors and 4×4 fall somewhere between the extremes.
    The sample may not have been big enough for statistical significance.
    Carry on as normal.

devs
    Free Member

My pals 2CV made it to the Cairngorm carpark once when everything else was failing. The pram wheels are awesome in snow. Never mind you chelsea tractors and school run tanks, 2CVs are the future!

stumpy01

What is it that everyone has against London? I can’t say for certain that London is the greatest city in the world, but it is a pretty special place.

I grew up in London and it is a great city. The amount of things to do, all the culture, parks, museums. There’s all the markets dotted around, music venues……etc. I don’t think I have even scratched the surface in all the time I lived there.
    I then moved to Cambridge which is a MUCH smaller city and i could appreciate all the benefits that living there had (and the disadvantages), while still being able to acknowledge that London was still a pretty nice place to be.
    Now I live in a small town outside Peterborough and I can also see the benefits (and disadvantages) that living here has…….but that doesn’t make Cambridge or London any less great places to live…

I truly don’t understand why people who live in the North of the country or up into Scotland have this big thing about the South and particularly London being sh1t. When I go up to Leeds or Newcastle or the Peak District or Edinburgh or over to Wales or wherever, I don’t think what a crap place it is compared to the South……it’s just a different place.

I guess it’s the same thing as the Welsh/Scottish supporting anyone but England at football whereas most English people always get behind Scotland or Wales in International competitions……

As for the snow causing problems….it always has and it probably always will. It’s because we GENERALLY don’t have extremes so can’t cope very well with it when things get a bit too cold/hot…..yes, it works with hot as well (I can remember being sat on a met line train (the purple line to London haters) doing 5mph because it was too hot and the tracks were in danger of buckling).

RudeBoy
    Free Member

stumpy1; it’s just jealousy, mostly, I reckon. There’s never any really intelligent arguments against London, just a load of ill-informed ignorance, really.

But it amuses me, to see them wound up.

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Snow in snowy countries’ is closed to new replies.