Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Snow chains – will 225/40 r18 chains fit a 225/35 r19 tyre?
  • LAT

Need chains urgently. From internet searches I see that an 225/40 r18 tyre is 2.9mm smaller in diameter than a 225/35 r19.

I need chains for the latter, but can’t find them. I can find chains for the r18 tyre. Are they likely to fit? I know nothing about snow chains and fear that this may be a bit of a “piece of string” question.

Situation is complicated by being in a very snowy Germany where my snow socks are verboten(!) and I can’t speak German.

Any assistance would be greatly received.

hammyuk
    Free Member

go on the snowchains website and type in the size
    they will tell you if you need a 60/70/80/etc
    add it to your basket and you’ll soon see if its the same one.

Same – P100
    http://www.snowchains.com/basket.asp?productID=3&tyreID=190

Edukator
    Free Member

Only one way to find out for sure, fit them. But, yes. I’ve used chains on tyre sizes they weren’t intended for with no problems. There’s a good range of adjustment on all the chains I’ve got, at least +/- 10cm of circumference from the nominal size.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Park up and use a taxi?

Marge
    Free Member

I think the dimensional difference is larger than that.
    More like 20mm difference in OD.
    Painful answer is some types will adapt to that difference – others will not.

Also; maybe a silly question but are you sure there is sufficient clearance between the tyre & the car?
    (on my BMW for example snow chains only fit the smaller tyre / wheel combinations)

hammyuk
    Free Member

They will fit the tyres he has asked about.

As for your BMW – you can fit chains to every one – you just need the correct chain size.
    Don’t try fitting a 12mm or 16mm when it needs a 9mm or indeed 7mm on the top M-Cars.

LAT

Thanks all for input and info. I’ll get my English- German dictionary out and hit the internet. google translate may be quicker.

hammyuk
    Free Member

LAT – the chains you’ve found will fit so just get them and save the hassle.
    The tyres use the same P100 size.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Snow chains – will 225/40 r18 chains fit a 225/35 r19 tyre?’ is closed to new replies.