Snapped spoke. Riding tomorrow!

Home Forum Bike Forum Snapped spoke. Riding tomorrow!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Snapped spoke. Riding tomorrow!
  • matty456

Inspected bike and found a snapped spoke on rear wheel. Bugger! Going riding tomorrow.
    Is it ok to leave ?
    Advice please. Ta.

orangeboy

I’d not ride it like that , will only get bent and could end your ride with a walk

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

I wouldn’t ride it either, but I’m a fat knacker.
    IME 1 snapped spoke usually results in a load more snapping in quick succession if you don’t get it sorted.

andrewni

Unscrew the snapped spoke and get rid of it & you’ll be fine especially if its an xc or normal trail ride. Would give any big hucks a miss

scuttler

Sure. Less crash-bang and more flow and you’ll be fine. Worst case is you have to push which arguably you might end up doing every time you head out (assuming you’re not in Torridon or similar).

Premier Icon doug_basqueMTB.com
    Subscriber

Should be sound. Depends a bit what rim is it?

Chew

One spoke missing is fine for a normal ride. Just remove. Is the rim still true?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

How many spokes, how sturdy is the wheel? I finished the Dudes of Hazzard enduro with 4 broken spokes in a lightweight 28-spoke wheelset, that didn’t go so well… But with a sturdier wheelset, it’s less likely to snowball, as you’ve got more margin for error.

Can make it harder to straighten the wheel afterwards though.

carlos

It’ll be fine.

Ridden with a spoke taped to another for over a week before now without any issues. Didn’t want to miss out on a few rides in the Peak on what was the only dry days of the year.

I’ve ridden for months with broken spokes.

Premier Icon paulosoxo
    Subscriber

One snapped is fine. Two snapped is time to stop.

Premier Icon flap_jack
    Subscriber

check the tension of the rest…

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

I snapped a spoke half way through a biking holiday on an ultra light AC Hub / Stans Podium Rim. Was absolutely fine for the rest of the week and it took a serious battering. Just replaced it and re-trued when I got back home.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I draw the line at 4 generally more on the 36 hole wheel set

matty456

Thanks for the input. I’ve borrowed a mates wheel as my rim is slightly buckled.
    Gonna play it safe! Going to Bedgebury in morning and didn’t want to end up pushing it round!

andrewh

andrewni – Member
    Unscrew the snapped spoke and get rid of it & you’ll be fine especially if its an xc or normal trail ride. Would give any big hucks a miss

This. Lots of sensible advice from people called Andrew tonight.
    Assuming you have a disc brake of course…

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

matty456 – Member
    Thanks for the input. I’ve borrowed a mates wheel as my rim is slightly buckled.
    Gonna play it safe! Going to Bedgebury in morning and didn’t want to end up pushing it round!

I’d happily ride Bedgebury with a single snapped spoke (other than the freeride bit).

If you’re there why not get Quench to sort it while you get ready/drink tea.

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

It will be fine with just one missing, you won’t even notice. Just remove it to prevent it fouling as already advised.

I did 175km at Bristol Bike Fest once with only 31 spokes in the rear wheel.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Snapped spoke. Riding tomorrow!’ is closed to new replies.