Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Snapped MT-400 – What are my options?
  • belgianwaffle1

Just recieved some bigger rotors today, in the process of installation I’ve snapped off on of the clamp of the calipers by being a **** and overtightening the bolt.

Anyway, now I’ve got a broken caliper and working lever, and I want to replace it.

The issue is I have no idea how to bleed brakes.

Here are the options I have come up with so far:

Buy an MT500 caliper for 22 pounds and suck it up like a man and learn to bleed and reattach brakes.

Buy a new caliper and lever for 40 quid and install that (might have to bleed anyway if I have to shorten).

Or is there an option of buying a better set of calipers (i.e. 4 pots) and attaching those? I did always think that the brakes were the biggest weakness on my bike. But I really like the lever I have right now.

Anyone know the compatibility?

TIA

belgianwaffle1

Ok so after rereading my post and judging by the lack of responses, I should ask the real question I am looking for the answer to:

Would I be able to attach a 4-pot caliper even if it has a banjo attachement? Or are there any other caliper options that would be suitable? Or should I just fix what I have now and upgrade later?

Thanks.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Buy a torque wrench instead? Blimey never heard of anyone doing that before, about 10nm should do it. All the lower end calipers are very similar if 2 pot. None are more resistant to cranking up that tight though..

belgianwaffle1

@beanieripper

Yes frustration with a new adaptor and tiredness were the main factors. As you could expect I now feel pretty stupid. Oh well.

beanieripper
    Free Member

I’ve done it don’t worry all part of the fun..

wheelsonfire1

Belgianwaffle, send me a private message, I might be able to help.

nixie

If you were going from a straight to banjo connection you would need a new hose. At that point it becomes uneconomical. I’d just fix what you have. Bigger rotors will help.

I’ve done it don’t worry all part of the fun.

Second this, have also trashed stuff being heavy handed.

BlipBloop

If I were you I would buy a Shimano bleed kit and other spares such as banjos from Amazon and replace the lever as you suggest.

Bleeding Shimano brakes is actually very easy. You can sometimes cheat just by screwing in the bleed reservoir to the lever, topping up with fluid and then squeezing the lever until all the air bubbles leave the system.

belgianwaffle1

@BlipBloop

replace the lever as you suggest

I’m assuming you mean caliper?

But yes I think I might have some mineral oil and I definitely bought a bleed kit.

belgianwaffle1

@wheelsonfire1

Sorry mate can’t seem to message you on here. Can you email me on henrysmedcalf “at” yahoo “dot” com
    please.

Many thanks

joebristol

That last caliper linked looks like it has a straight in connector with no banjo. From a quick google that’s what the mt400 has as well. I’d assume that would be a straight caliper swap 🤷‍♂️

thols2

It looks to me like the Deore 4-pot uses the same hose. One of those on the front would probably be a good upgrade, if they’re not too pricey. Bleeding brakes isn’t super difficult, you just need to understand that you are forcing fluid through the system to displace any air. Often, you can just gravity bleed, where you just open the bleeder on the caliper and let fluid flow in from the reservoir.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-SG/product/component/deore-m6100/BR-M6120.html

lovewookie

bear in mind that most new full shimano systems come with the hose detached from the lever. it’s supposed to be set so that you can feed the hose through internal routing, then plug it in to the lever without bleeding. it works, most of the time. unless you’re clumsy and squeeze the lever when the plug is out.

my point is that should you go down the whole new setup route, you’ll need to be at least prepared to bleed it.

belgianwaffle1

Just bought a BNIB M6100 caliper for 25 quid posted which is nice… anyone know if the olive is pre installed inside it?

Cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Snapped MT-400 – What are my options?’ is closed to new replies.