• This topic has 29 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by StuF.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Snapped-in-half carbon repair?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

So I’ve seen plenty of threads about successful carbon frame repairs where there’s a small crack or dent or whatever. What about if the tube is in two parts? I’m not sure if it’s completely in two pieces but it’s certainly a pretty interesting extra pivot with splinters all around the circumference of the tube.

Kerrrunch
    It’s a seatstay in case it’s not obvious. Canyon Strive frame.

Worth fixing? Specifically, worth fixing in order to sell on (as a full bike)?

If so, what are the best MTB- (and wallet-) friendly carbon repair places. I don’t think I want to DIY it.

andrewh
    Free Member

Should be doable.
    I had to get a snapped right-through swingarm on my Yeti fixed after Silverfish were totally useless with it.
    Can’t remember the name of the pace I used but it was in Coalville, near Derby IIRC. They made a very good job of it. Cost £180 I think, which was a fraction of what Silverfish were quoting as a ‘cost-price’ replacement swing arm, although their price seemed to change every time you spoke to them.
    Anyway, doable, pricey, but still cheaper than a new swingarm

ajantom

Last STW magazine (not the current one) there was an article about a bloke who fixes carbon frames.
    He seemed to suggest anything carbon is fixable, so might be worth a call/email.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honourablegeorge

You probably need to be realistic about what someone will pay for a repaired carbon frame, a lot of people won’t touch it, even with the receipt for a professional repair.

andrewh
    Free Member

What is it? Maybe get together with someone who’s broken his front end, might be a broken one going cheap on ebay with a decent swingarm

cynic-al
    Free Member

One spoon, sorted.

Srsly there’s a huge amount of force on that area, if you just want to ride it I’d look at trying yourself, it’s not expensive to buy a repair kit and really not rocket science to DIY. If resale price is important I’d think twice on paying a lot for it.

jonba
    Free Member

Fiberlyte or a similar spelling often comes up. Whether you’d get back the money on a sale I don’t know. I’d split and sell. Parts are getting good money right now.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah. I’d like to get the bike up-and-running so I can sell it on the currently quite lucrative used bike marketplace. THIS is the exact same model, just apparently sold on eBay for £2699. Meanwhile, THIS is a lower spec one that sold for £2500. Mind boggling really.

Even without the broken stay, it’s not in the same condition as those bikes, granted, and I’m under no illusion that it could be worth that much, but it would be worth a lot more as a full bike than as a currently unrideable pile of parts. If a repair costs more than the added (eBay etc) value then it’s not worth it, clearly.

tjagain

I recently made a bit for my tent in CF – basically fastening 3 tubes together in a Y shape. i was trying to keep it as light as possible so used very little CF. I am astonished how well it came out and how strong it is. I am sure that frame could be repaired to be at least as strong as it was by simply brute force as it were. Pile loads on it will be strong. Mi9ghht not be pretty.

it will always be a damaged repaired frame tho ad worth less. would you recoup the outlay of a pro repair ?

simondbarnes

Even though it’s just string and glue and fairly straightforward to repair if you know whet you’re doing I’d never consider buying a repaired frame.

pothead
    Free Member

Carbon Bike Repair in Surrey, I had a cracked downtube repaired last year and its holding up fine so far, they have pics on their website/Instagram page of frames that have been completely snapped that they’ve repaired and claim to be able to match any paintwork perfectly, obvs at extra cost. I didn’t bother with paint as the repair is hidden from view but I’d guess it depends how much op is looking to spend. I paid around £350 without paint (a lot cheaper than the crash replacement front triangle I was offered by the manufacturer) but the damage was a 2 inch crack, I’d guess a snapped seatstay is going to be a fair bit more expensive

thols2

I’d never consider buying a repaired frame.

This.

mcnultycop

There’s no way I’d buy a repaired frame, I’d be trying to source a replacement rear triangle if it’s for selling on purposes.

greeny30
    Free Member

Can Canyon not supply new seatstays, thats not the first strive I’ve seen crack in that same spot so they should be aware its a weak spot and have spares ready.

convert

People will buy broken stuff but at a rock bottom price. My current road bike is a Kinesis Granfondo – a £1500 titanium frame but rim braked so not that desirable now. Bought it last year off ebay for £150 with a crack around the toptube/headtube weld then spent circa £200 on having a new top tube welded in. Curiously I would not have spent £350 on a repaired granfondo I think- even though that’s less than half the going rate and it riding beautifully and looking pristine now. Odd really – just have more faith in it having seen the damage and chosen the repairer myself.

Personally I’d strip it and sell the components then sell the frame as seen. I’ve always considered any money I got from my old toys as a bonus/beer money. You’ve just got less beer money than you had one horrible creaky snapping noise ago.

Of course less scrupulous people would get it repaired and sprayed up then just sell it on ‘forgetting’ what happened- I’ve seen some frames that I would never have guessed were repaired. Rob Hayles (yes, the Olympic medallist and world champion Rob Hayles) runs Carbon Concepts and is getting a good rep (there was an article in the mag a few issues ago).

BearBack
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy a repaired frame either, but I would take on a broken frame and repair it myself.

What size is it and how much for the frame set 😉

feed

Can Canyon not supply new seatstays

How old is the bike? If you haven’t contacted Canyon I’d give that a shot. They might do some sort of extended warranty reduced price replacement. They probably have an abundance of frames at the moment with **** all parts to build them up with.

cookeaa

Worth fixing?

Probably

Specifically, worth fixing in order to sell on (as a full bike)?

That’s where I’d have qualms (personally) I’m fine riding about on a Carbon frame I’ve repaired but flogging it to someone else? That I would struggle with. Other people’s expectations of a “repaired item”, and more importantly any sort of liability for their safety, are just not things I like to take chances on…

If you can get a pukka repair outfit to fix it and provide some sort of written guarantee of their work then great, you’re absolved. But otherwise strip it, flog all the bits, and maybe sell the damaged frame as “Spares or repairs” and save yourself a headache…

Or ask Canyon to flog you a new stay, which seems like the most obvious and best fix TBH…

velocipede
    Free Member

Target Composites are very good – and I am certain that Phil there could repair that no problem at all

However, I would only do that if I was planning on keeping it myself – as per comments above, I don’t think I’d be happy either selling it, or buying it if I was on the other side of the deal….

I reckon best bet is to part it out and sell it in bits – selling the frame “as it is”

bigfoot
    Free Member

it cost me about £140 for a new carbon seat stay from orbea when i damaged mine, thought that was quite good although the shop did say orbea had offered a discount on it so not sure what full price would have been.
    must be worth trying canyon first before looking into anything else.

DaveP

Rob Hayles does carbon repair.
    Also worth speaking to distributor – I just got a replacement carbon chain stay for £150 for my GT

Aidy
    Free Member

I’d buy something that had been professionally repaired. Would probably avoid something that had been DIY’d. Wouldn’t buy anything involving spoons as part of the repair.

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

I’d also highly recommend Phil from Target, we’ve had a number of frames done by then and had no issues.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I bought a repaired supersix that had had the handlebars puncture the top tube, rode it for 20,000km no issues and sold it on at not a massive loss 👍

Superficial
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments, plenty to think about. One of the carbon repair places suggested ^^^ got back to me saying they wouldn’t attempt a fix. Haven’t heard from others.

Canyon have been a bit useless really. They don’t have any spare parts, crash replacement has expired (3 years from purchase). Their best suggestion was that I look at their new bike range.

I’m not too salty about the whole thing – I’ve enjoyed riding the the thing for nearly 6 years. Also, I’d been looking at new bikes and this was a well-timed spousal justification. It’d be nice if it doesn’t have to go to landfill just yet though.

I reckon best bet is to part it out and sell it in bits – selling the frame “as it is”

Yeah I think that’s my current plan although I’m also wondering about getting an entirely different frame and swapping parts across before selling it on.

(PM me if you have a 650b non Boost frame going cheap)

I wouldn’t buy a repaired frame either, but I would take on a broken frame and repair it myself.

I think that’s my feeling too. From what I’ve read, carbon repairs can be done well, although I’ve mainly seen repairs of small chunks / cracks rather than outright snaps.

I don’t have any moral qualms about selling a repaired bike, assuming it’s advertised accurately. But I expect most potential buyers to be (understandably) very wary about it.

What size is it and how much for the frame set 😉

It’s a Canyon Strive frame in L from 2015 (‘Race’ geometry). If you’re actually interested, PM me and I’ll work out a price. I guess I’m not after much for the frame itself although suspect the shock would be worth a few quid separately.

DickBarton

Magnafibre (find on Facebook – I can’t access that on this device) – based in Alva, Central Scotland. He does all sorts of carbon repairs and suspect he could fix that (but I’ve no knowledge of how to fix carbon). Give him a call and chat to him, he is helpful. I’d guess he’d just need the rear end of the bike sent to him so he could fix that and get it sent back to you.

Edit – all the above posted after reading just the first post on this and none of the others…so my info is probably no use to you as you’ve already been in contact with peeps-in-the-know about this kind of thing.

greeny30
    Free Member

After 6 years its time to treat yourself, I seem to change my frame every 2 or 3 years these days.

Superficial
    Free Member

After 6 years its time to treat yourself, I seem to change my frame every 2 or 3 years these days.

I did – I treated myself to a Santa Cruz 5010! It should arrive tomorrow. This thread is just about softening the blow to my wallet!

[Rambling] The last few bikes I’ve owned for ~2-4 years before moving them on, but I’d been getting on well with the Canyon and nothing new really took my fancy. This has unfortunately set a precedent and my wife now thinks bikes should be changed only after 5 years (which I’m sure you agree is UNACCEPTABLE)!

In all seriousness, if you can buy bikes for ~£4k and sell after 2 years for £2k (ideally without having spent a penny on repairs beyond tyres/chains), then there’s a financial argument for doing so. £1k / year to keep me in good bikes doesn’t seem like a lot for the hobby I love.

I spent basically nothing on the Canyon for about 4 years but the last year has seen a steady stream of bills to keep it running right (cranks, wheels, rear mech, seatpost, a brake). In hindsight, even before the frame went, I would have been better off selling it a year or two ago. Whatever, it’s been my friend for the last 6 years so I have no real regrets. [/Ramble]

lots_of_hope

Hello, we fixed this at work last year.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2kGHtX6]IMG_20200827_084743733[/url] by C Snook, on Flickr
    It turned out like this…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2kGE25r]IMG-20200907-WA0001[/url] by C Snook, on Flickr
    We are based in Leeds but have dealt with postage repairs occasionally if it’s all sorted by the customer.

StuF

This is the place in Coalville, seem to get good reviews and I’d probably go to them if I needed my carbon frame repairing

https://www.carboncyclerepairs.co.uk/

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Snapped-in-half carbon repair?’ is closed to new replies.