Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Snapchat
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Inspired by the WhatsApp thread…

A few people have asked me if I use Snapchat. How does it work? How does it differ from WhatsApp?

Cougar

Picture / video messages disappear once read.

Handy for sending things you want people to see but not keep or forward on.
    Read into that what you will.

slackalice
    Free Member

As my Cousin’s teenage son discovered a few month’s ago, the messages on snapchat disappear, but are not deleted.

On the retrieved evidence from his cohorts phones and his past misdemeanours, he was expelled from his school.

Social media eh?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Too much effort required.

bone_idle
    Free Member

If you don’t already know all about snapchat its because your to old for snapchat.
    I include myself, my kids are constantly on it, they even do a daily snap story… yeah I dunno either.

kilo

Handy for sending things you want people to see but not keep or forward on.

It’s quite possible to get round the auto deletion issue , which can cause issues later.
    It has had some negative publicity recently too

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fundamentally its the same as Instagram, which is like Facebook without the written posts.

Except it’s temporary (the stories only stay for 24h even if people don’t view them). So you can post pics of your dog, kids or penis, doing funny things every day without it becoming an album like Facebook/Instagram.

Companies use it for advertising, usually in a slightly more candid/documentary style so a bike manufacturer might post up a lot of behind the scenes stuff during a dh race weekend etc.

DezB
    Free Member

your to old for snapchat.

Without mentioning the percentage of grammar errors in this sentence (oops), eye am probably two old for Snapchat, but it is useful for one reason and one reason alone:
    When you send or receive pictures over Snapchat they are not saved to your iPhone’s library, hence saving you the hassle of deleting all the crap people send you from too different places. (Whatsapp and normal texts save it all, which I find irritating).

Oh and Snapchat has those funny face filters – if you haven’t done a face-swap with someone, you really should try it sometime. It is very amusing for a short period.
    Or, if you are a female, make sure you post pictures on all your social media channels with your face overlaid with dog ears and nose and a big tongue hanging out.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but it is useful for one reason and one reason alone:
    When you send or receive pictures over Snapchat they are not saved to your iPhone’s library, hence saving you the hassle of deleting all the crap people send you from too different places.

Actually, they do get saved. You just can’t open them in snapchat more than once. So over time your phone fills up until you clear the app’s cache.

I had a very boring day watching people interview for a social media manager position so read up on it.

Drac

Whatsapp and normal texts save it all, which I find irritating).

Only if you allow it to.

DezB
    Free Member

Interesting info from Drac and tinas… shall investigate further!

Nope – can’t see any cache for Snapchat (100mb so not worth worrying about)

No setting to save text (sms or imessage) photos (or not)

and yet to find any settings at all for whatsapp… oh yeah, in the app – nothing whether or where to store pics. Can clear the cache though.

DezB
    Free Member

whatsapp: Found it! Save to Camera Roll, now unchecked

oldtalent
    Free Member

Facebook, instagram, whatsapp I can see the point of. They are useful to varying degrees.
    I still cannot see any need nor point in snapchat.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Many a teenager has thought the rapidly disappearing snapchat image is an ideal way to send pictures of their bits and bobs to other teenagers without them being able to save them. They forgot about screenshots.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

It is all about the Streaks. It is becoming an obsessive mental health issue for a few young people I work with. They have a constant fear of losing WiFi or phone signal and not being able to maintain their Streaks.

DezB
    Free Member

Well, my lad has been using it for years and it’s not given him any ‘mental health issues’, so I don’t think it is all about the streaks.

colournoise

TroutWrestler – Member
    It is all about the Streaks. It is becoming an obsessive mental health issue for a few young people I work with. They have a constant fear of losing WiFi or phone signal and not being able to maintain their Streaks.

This. In a school that doesn’t allow students to have their phones on them during the school day watching them collect their phones at home time and keeping their streaks going is both fascinating and terrifying in equal measure…

Rockape63
    Free Member

Snapchat is great for keeping family up to speed with what you’re doing if your away or something. Save everything to story and they can view it when they want and while you keep adding to it, it disappears off the other end 24hrs after you’ve posted it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Snapchat’ is closed to new replies.