• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Snapchat Map…
  • the-muffin-man

Seems to be getting a lot of media hysteria at the minute.

How is it any different to other friend tracking features on phones?

I don’t use Snapchat, but my 14yr old daughter does and she assures me she only has this on for friends.

Even if I told her to turn it off, it would be turned back on as soon as she left the house!

tomhoward

Heard about this yesterday on BBC, Nadia swahala (?) was going into meltdown because someone would be able to see that her daughter was sitting down.

+1 on not getting the hysteria

legend
    Free Member

wrightyson
    Free Member

Having looked at the map on my 15 yr old daughter’s phone and her showing me where everyone was located we decided it best turned off. No drama no pedo alert just better that she can’t be stalked by some random person.
    She still has find my phone activated however and is still non the wiser that I can see where her phone is. Never had to use that feature though as she’s a good un. I think….

Cougar

She still has find my phone activated however and is still non the wiser that I can see where her phone is. Never had to use that feature though

How do you know it’s still active then?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Because I’ve tried it. Never had to use it in worried parent mode is what I was getting at.

DezB
    Free Member

I have Snapchat, I can’t find the bloodin map function anywhere!

perchypanther
    Free Member

She still has find my phone activated however and is still non the wiser that I can see where her phone is.

We use this all the time. The kids know about it and accept it as perfectly normal.

My wife gets the kids to use it to see how far away from home I am at night to get my dinner ready.

MSP

Yeah kids are clever enough to know they don’t need to be where their phone is.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have Snapchat, I can’t find the bloodin map function anywhere!

I’m not going to tell you how to find it but I know you definitely have it turned on.

GrahamS

My wife gets the kids to use it to see how far away from home I am at night to get my dinner ready.

Same here. Saves doing the “What time will you be home?” calls when someone is driving/cycling.

alanf
    Free Member

Probably true, but if they are not in touching distance of it for more than a minute they go into melt down (their life has come to an end)!

perchypanther
    Free Member

On the subject of Snapchat, can someone explain to me why Streaks are so bloody important.

My 13 year old daughters friend is on holiday in Canada and my daughter has to log on to the friends snapchat account every day and send a blank message to all her contacts to “maintain her Streaks”. She also obsessively does the same thing on her own phone as soon as she opens her eyes in the morning.
    I’ve tried to understand why this is even slightly important but, apparently, I “just don’t get it”

the-muffin-man

On the subject of Snapchat, can someone explain to me why Streaks are so bloody important.

No idea!

My daughter does this too!

franksinatra

I also wonder about streaks. I can only imagine it is like a version of STW where you have put a thread killing post in the EU / May / Trump / Scottish Independence thread but you will be blocked from viewing the withering responses to it unless you log in and view it every single day

wrightyson
    Free Member

As her phone has seemingly been surgically grafted to her hand I know this isn’t an issue.

DezB
    Free Member

I know you definitely have it turned on

Wouldn’t be surprised. It’s a shite app.

Ah found it –
    Additional Services/Manage > Maps > Share Usage Data. ?? I presume!
    (Although underneath says share anonymised usage data with our map providers which doesn’t sound like it would give my location to anyone )

sadexpunk

you pinch the screen in selfie mode i think. then it prompts you to have your location (gps) switched on.

DezB
    Free Member

Nope, not on my iPhone. Though I did find Face Swap mode and merged my face with this fella http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/barry-larry-terry-no-headlamp-on-bicycle which was fun.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Snapchat Map…’ is closed to new replies.