Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Smwaug or Smorg ?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Would you really pronounce taut sufficiently distinctly from tort or torte as to make any noticable difference?

Definitely. Taut has no r sound in it, torte and torte do.

Sandwich

fyi: mount everest should be pronounced ‘eve-rest’, not ‘ever-rest’ – bu it sounds wrong so it is wrong, i don’t care how right it is, it’s wrong.

Or you could use the Tibetan/Sherpa name Chomolungma.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Another one for the baffled that anyone would pronounce any of these words with an r that isn’t written down. I’ve never heard anyone do that either. However, I am Scottish, which I suspect makes all the difference. Those of you insisting on Smorg, how do you pronounce Mirror? With a rolled r in the middle or more like meerr?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ahwiles
    Free Member

mirror = ‘mi-ruh’

(sort of)

dawn = ‘dorn’

taut = ‘tort’

smaug = ‘smorg’

simple.

(in lots of words au / aw = ‘or’)

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Nope, au/aw always sound like the noise people make immediately before saying “how cute!” when cooing over babies and kittens. No r sound at all. And it’s obviously mirrr-or 😉
    I reckon it’s a dialect/accent variation thing.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

I think the disagreement here comes from the dropped R in a British accent. Just imagine an American saying “taut” or “taught” and then saying “tort”, they would sound different in his accent and near identical in a standard (i.e. BBC) British accent.

I suspect the same is true of a Scottish accent (they pronounce their Rs, where the English don’t).

lemonysam
    Free Member

I suspect the same is true of a Scottish accent (they pronounce their Rs, where the English don’t).

Ahhh… *penny drrrrrrops*

BigDummy
    Free Member

Tolkien wrote a book, he did not actually create Middle Earth and the languages spoken by actual people resident there. I appreciate that I may be naive in this, and will be told the error of my ways by people who use the word “canon” a lot, but I don’t really care.

This stuff exists chiefly in the reader’s head. In my head, Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights generally isn’t black and doesn’t speak with a Mancunian accent, because the idea that he ought to was not really impressed upon my 17 year old mind. The one in your head may well differ. I care only very slightly what Emily Bronte thought about the matter.

🙂

Drac

Tolkien wrote a book, he did not actually create Middle Earth and the languages spoken by actual people resident there.

Oh dear.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Would you really pronounce taut sufficiently distinctly from tort or torte as to make any noticable difference?

Yes.

Edit. Doesn’t everyone? I would however pronounce taut the same as taught.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Smwaug or Smorg ?’ is closed to new replies.