Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Smoking in kids playgrounds?
  • zilog6128

who don’t give a sh1t!

Yep, that sums up smokers pretty well! They don’t give a shit, about themselves or others. Pretty pathetic really.

MSP

How would the smoke from a cigarette compare to the emissions from an average family car? I suspect the later is actually more harmful, so the idea that someone smoking outdoors is a danger is quite silly.

If you can’t teach your children that people often do stupid things for a whole host of reasons, and to have a little perspective, then they are going to have bigger problems than exposure to the occasional outdoors smoker.

scuzz
    Free Member

It’s such a mind dumbingly moronic habit that I just don’t even want my kids seeing other people smoke much like I would not want them seeing other people drunk.

Have you told your kids that?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Smoking around kids is wrong for a number of reasons.
    1) Passive smoking is unlikely to be good for them.
    2) By seeing adults smoking it makes it more acceptable in the childrens eyes.

Thats why my child has never seen me smoke (although I have stopped now) and i get pissy when his step brothers smoke outside and he can see them. I dont want him to smoke, nor do I want him to think its acceptable / cool.
    It angers me to see parents pushing kids in prams smoking, or driving a car with kids in it, smoking with their window down. Morons.

philconsequence
    Free Member

how many non-smokers on here drink alcohol either in front of their kids or their kids are aware that mummy and daddy drink alcohol?

scuzz
    Free Member

i get pissy when his step brothers smoke outside and he can see them. I dont want him to smoke, nor do I want him to think its acceptable / cool.

Have you told you kid this?

2tyred

I was in a small, crowded nightclub on Friday for the first time since the smoking ban.

I can only hope Department of Health mandarins are hard at work preparing the farting ban. Jesus Christ.

Irrespective of the potential threat to health, people who smoke in front of kids in the way the OP describes simply lack a bit of respect for those kids. Pretty common. I think its in the same ballpark as not waiting for the green man at pedestrian crossings while kids wait. I’ve politely asked people to refrain from smoking in playparks many times. Most seem unaware and are apologetic.

joao3v16
    Free Member

how many non-smokers on here drink alcohol either in front of their kids or their kids are aware that mummy and daddy drink alcohol?

Not quite the same. Can you become an alcoholic by passive drinking?

I doubt there are any parents brave enough to stand in the school playground drinking a 6-pack of lager or swigging whisky from a bottle …

philconsequence
    Free Member

can you become a smoker by passive smoking?

watching parents drink isn’t much different from watching parents smoke in my humble opinion.

i’m not defending smokers, i’m just making a comparison 🙂

mattk
    Free Member

This place does get a bit mumsnet sometimes.

Why not take the oportunity to show your kids the ‘stinky people sucking on death sticks’ and explain why it’s so bad?

Your can’t hide things from kids, so educate them before someone else does.

zilog6128

watching parents drink isn’t much different from watching parents smoke in my humble opinion.

There is a massive difference between smoking (which is always harmful) and drinking sensibly (which is fine in moderation, e.g. the odd glass of wine/beer). I agree that adults shouldn’t be getting pissed up/abusing alcohol in front of children.

nealglover
    Free Member

funny – seems that it’s more socially acceptable these days to be a druggie rather than a smoker (which if my memory serves me correctly is still legal)

You will have to explain that one to me I’m afraid, because it sounds a bit like bollx ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I haven’t told my son yet that smoking is mind dumbingly moronic because he is three and I doubt he would understand. I have told him its poisonous and it kills people but even then I don’t think he quite understands what that means.

What I do know he has understood is that he’s seen someone doing it and he is curious as to what it is. That he saw it in a playground is causing more problems because now he associates it with the playground, a place where he goes to have fun. Of course I can’t prevent him from seeing it elsewhere but you’d think the playground would be the one place where I wouldn’t have to worry about it.

It really does come down to a lack of common sense or a lack of consideration for others, which as someone above pointed out, seems to sum up a lot of smokers’ attitude.

jota180
    Free Member

What I do know he has understood is that he’s seen someone doing it and he is curious as to what it is.

That’s all good

That he saw it in a playground is causing more problems because now he associates it with the playground, a place where he goes to have fun.

Only really if he never sees it anywhere else

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

It’s not someone elses ‘choice’ to smoke near my kids.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Quite!

buzz1024
    Free Member

Greasy pies are unhealthy too – will we soon be stopping our kids watch someone eat “unhealthy” food just in case they want to eat a pie when their older.
    is it acceptable to eat a kebab in a kids playground?

butcher

How about if I don’t want you driving near my kids – I see that point has been heavilly ignored in this thread? Or even cycling near them – don’t want any accidents do we? Hell, I might not even want you near my kids full stop. Can’t be too careful with all these pedo’s around.

Of course it’s their choice.

nealglover
    Free Member

I agree with the principle.

But sadly, the reality is that in a public place, outdoors, then it actually is their choice.
    You can obviously choose to move. But they have every right to smoke outdoors in public places (unless its an area where it’s not allowed obviously)

scuzz
    Free Member

It’s all OK. Smoking exists. Just keep educating your kids about the smelly morons in an non-judgemental way. That way, when your more-grown-up kid sees some people smoking (because Mum or Dad haven’t managed to change the entire world to prevent their children from ever witnessing anything bad) they’ll know that it’s moronic. You’ll have taught them why it’s moronic, and they’ll be part of the large (and increasing) proportion of people who have never smoked. No indignation required.

If, however, they’re blowing smoke on your kids, fetch your bombers.

geetee1972
    Free Member

There are a lot of comparisons here with other potentially harmful activities like driving a car. Firstly, driving a car is necessary to our way of life, at least until we find a suitable alternative, smoking is not. Secondly no one is arguing for a ban on smoking in all outdoor public places (although I would be in favour of that, I mean why not, what is the downside?); I originally asked if it was unreasonable to do it in a children’s playground.

butcher

There are a lot of comparisons here with other potentially harmful activities like driving a car. Firstly, driving a car is necessary to our way of life, at least until we find a suitable alternative…

Walking. Cycling…

Most journeys can be done without a car. Most of us (including myself) choose to take it anyway.

Secondly no one is arguing for a ban on smoking in all outdoor public places (although I would be in favour of that, I mean why not, what is the downside?); I originally asked if it was unreasonable to do it in a children’s playground.

It’s not entirely unreasonable not to. It’s just smokers are regarded much in the same way as cyclists; with a hint of vitriol. Which I personally find unreasonable.

buzz1024
    Free Member

a ban on smoking in all outdoor public places (although I would be in favour of that, I mean why not, what is the downside?)

The downside is that you would be imposing your view on someone else – whether you agree with smoking or not it’s not really up to you to decide that someone cant do something outside (where there is no risk of passive smoking unlike indoors) just because you don’t agree with it. thats unreasonable.

live and let live

deviant
    Free Member

Glad i dont have children.

Threads like this make me sad, do people become simpering, pathetic, worriers when they find out they are expecting a child?….or were they like that beforehand?

Smoking outside?….fine, if you have a problem with it i presume you put a mask/filter on your child’s face when walking them along any road as the amount of carcinogenic shite they must inhale from all the vehicles is bad for them too right?!

Smoking has become one of those things (like speeding seems to be headed) that has become socially acceptable to demonise and pass judgement on….persoanlly i find it far more disturbing when i see a fat child whose parents are still shovelling food into its fat unhealthy face.

If we’re allowed to chastise smokers can we know shout ‘encouragement’ at porkers to lose some weight?

bigyinn
    Free Member

deviant, the original post was about smoking IN a school playground.
    This is NOT acceptable nor is it allowed. Outside in the street, fine. Outside a pub fine.
    Yes smokers are being unfairly demonised, but its a pretty big moron who smokes with kids in the car, or pushes a pram smoking a fag surely?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

smoking is almost unique in that it affects others indiscriminately, where as eating food, consuming alcohol , and virtually all other drugs is the recipients choice.
    School playgrounds are for kids, smoking can be done elsewhere, its possible to go without the ‘fix’ for a short while is it not ??

br
    Free Member

I don’t smoke and never have and tbh wasn’t that bothered for all the anti-smoking laws, as decent places had already segregated and/or had decent a/c.

But I am sick of the ‘powers-that-be’ (and the rest of you nannies’) constantly telling folk what they can and can’t do, and on that basis – she’s smoking outside FFS, leave her alone.

School playgrounds are for kids, smoking can be done elsewhere, its possible to go without the ‘fix’ for a short while is it not ??

And the OP said ‘playground’, not ‘school playground’.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

why can’t smokers wear a smoking helmet, to ensure maximum efficiency and minimum harm to others —

deviant
    Free Member

Rudebwoy…why cant fatties wear a burka so i dont have to see their unsightly flesh?

FFS live and let live people.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

deviant– while it may be unpleasant to look upon some people, it will never ever harm your or anyone elses health– i take it you are aware of carcinogens and how they attach to clothing etc ??– it is a shite drug, that doesn’t even give you any ‘high’– it is negative in every way !!

MrNutt
    Free Member

why not train your kids to spit at cigarettes?

geetee1972
    Free Member

What’s so bad with imposing our views on other people? We do it all the time. Here are some examples where we do:

Drink driving
    ABH
    GBH
    Sex with a minor
    Burglary

Etc etc. you’re free to smoke wherever you like as long as you don’t expose anyone else to your cancer causing smoke. Fortunately it seems the tide of public opinion is finally getting over its moral foibles and I wouldn’t be surprised to see cigarettes banned in ten years time.

As for whether we child birth turns us into wimpering whatevers, I refer you to your earlier comment. You clearly don’t have kids do you.

nealglover
    Free Member

deviant, the original post was about smoking IN a school playground.

No it wasn’t 🙄

Thread reading fail.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Clearly I’m not perfect like you are Neil.
    But my points are still valid regardless. Barring the comment about it not being allowed.

nealglover
    Free Member

Clearly I’m not perfect like you are Neil.

Don’t have a pop at me, it’s not my fault you didn’t read it properly.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps if you’d made your point a little more politely I wouldn’t have had to have “a pop”. Oh and if that’s having a pop, I shudder to think how you’d react if someone really went for you.
    If you can’t stand the heat etc…

nealglover
    Free Member

🙄

Clearly you don’t like being wrong.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Does anyone?
    As I said, my points are still valid, EVEN THOUGH I WAS VERY VERY VERY WRONG. FOR THAT I MUST UNRESERVEDLY APOLOGISE AND THANK YOU NEALGLOVER FOR POINTING OUT MY ERROR. I’ll be putting up my son for adoption in the morning so he will never know the shame of his father being wrong on STW.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Careful, he’ll be pointing out you’ve spelled his name incorrectly next.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Smoking in kids playgrounds?’ is closed to new replies.