smoking, could it happen here.

Home Forum Chat Forum smoking, could it happen here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • smoking, could it happen here.
  • Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon Phil_H
    Subscriber

The SNP are aiming for 2034 in Scotland

Edit- too slow

It’s odd, half the population/media seem to be convinced cannabis will be legal, the other half that smoking will be banned entirely.

glupton1976

It’s odd, half the population/media seem to be convinced cannabis will be legal, the other half that smoking will be banned entirely.

It may be news to you but there are ways of consuming cannabis that do not involve smoking it. For example space cakes.

πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

as a smoker (of normal smokes and the funny fags) all in favour of it, as I was before the smoking ban came in. I’d legalise weed for personal cultivation mind you πŸ™‚

MrNutt

it’ll be illegal. shoot on sight.

True, but it’s harder to look cool eating a chocolate brownie.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

not under the tories they bowed out easily under pressure/donnations from tobacco lobbyists over plain packaging

same as they did with minimum alcohol pricing

and food labeling

etc

compositepro

True, but it’s harder to look cool eating a chocolate brownie.

PMSL at mental image of hoodies on park bench with cakes in the shape of peppa pig

mrmo

republic smoke free by 2025

Just wondering if the UK will follow again?

Klunk

unlikely with a ex-director of BAT in the cabinet.

eskay

Might not happen over the border in England though

πŸ˜€

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

It’s something that makes us an enormous amount in tax. Should we stop it? Erm……

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

there was a proposal floated down here in Tassie to increase the age of buying fags by one year every year to reduce the number of smokers and to effectively phase it out.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

The SNP are aiming for 2034 in Scotland

I wonder whether they’ve included that in their budget calculations (given smokers are significant net contributors)?

mrmo

It’s something that makes us an enormous amount in tax. Should we stop it? Erm……

this is the thing, it costs the exchequer a fortune, but if you ban it today the tax hit doesn’t go away for decades!

thebrowndog

I wonder whether they’ve included that in their budget calculations (given smokers are significant net contributors)?

Perhaps not when you factor in the cost of smoking to the health system.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Cost to the health system is much less than the tax take. Smokers also don’t tend to cost so much in pensions.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AdVfv6ki54[/video]

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

mrmo – Member

if you ban it today the tax hit doesn’t go away for decades!

True point. Though o’course a proportion of the tax won’t be lost, as the fag spend will mostly go on something else taxable- just less taxable.

There’ll be all sorts of other costs, some wibblier than others… Loss of earning from people ill due to fags, subsequent impact on family members and employers, all that jazz.

grum

No one smokes real cigarettes any more anyway do they? It’s all about the electronic space fags now.

ernie_lynch

Cost to the health system is much less than the tax take. Smokers also don’t tend to cost so much in pensions.

So smokers contribute more and take out less ? I almost feel that I should smoke out of patriotic duty.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

Perhaps not when you factor in the cost of smoking to the health system.

If you smoke and get lung cancer you get a lethal injection. No treatments, no palliative care, just a nice quick exit.

Non-smokers with lung cancer for get the works.

Other health implications are a grey area…

Problem solved.

πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

So smokers contribute more and take out less ?

Yeah – it’s us healthy mountain bikers with our VAT free helmets who will live to 102 who are the drain on the system (assuming that is our current pension Ponzi scheme system survives that long).

wrecker

Yeah – it’s us healthy mountain bikers with our VAT free helmets who will live to 102 who are the drain on the system

You forget the A&E costs?
    I think it’s a great idea. We know enough about smoking to justify banning it completely IMHO. It doesn’t even get you pissed.
    That said, all of the tax lost by government will have to be replaced somehow.

ohnohesback

It never fails to amaze me how many supposedly intellegent people think it is a good idea for the state to legislate as to what it deems acceptable for adults to ingest into their own bodies? What business of the state’s is it? Why do you allow the state to assume a de-facto ownership over you?

clubber

Dr James Reilly has defined a “tobacco-free Ireland” as a state where less than 5% of the population smoke.

Er… that’s not quite what I’d have in mind when talking about ‘tobacco-free’.

5thElefant

We know enough about smoking to justify banning it completely IMHO

Like we’ve done with drugs? That’s gone well.

wrecker

Like we’ve done with drugs? That’s gone well.

Well, having had five friends die from drug ODs; I’m quite happy that heroin and crack aren’t available in Tescos.

deadlydarcy

Er… that’s not quite what I’d have in mind when talking about ‘tobacco-free’.

Just as well you’re not the one saying it then.

clubber

Thanks for that DD πŸ™‚

I guess that I can talk about fatality free roads (less than 50,000 deaths pa) too then.

Or calorie free meals (less than 1000 calories) or…

πŸ˜€

deadlydarcy

You can talk about whatever you want. I guess the guy in question is probably being realistic in thinking that getting tobacco usage down to zero is nigh on impossible in a generation, so getting it to less than 1 in 20 users (and thus de-normalising (if that’s a word) it) is a fair enough description for now.

You ought to email him your observations though – I think he may well have a change in tune and think more about his choice of terms rather than the more important job in hand.

clubber

Bad night with the little’un DD? πŸ™‚

jekkyl

Can you get cancer from smoking 100% pure weed joints?
    would be costly like.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber
    deadlydarcy

Bad night with the little’un DD?

Not at all. Have you emailed him yet?

grum

Well, having had five friends die from drug ODs; I’m quite happy that heroin and crack aren’t available in Tescos.

If drugs were legal/regulated and their problems were treated as a medical rather than criminal issue they would quite probably still be alive.

cbmotorsport

Each to their own etc. I wouldn’t be an advocate of banning smoking. I do wholeheartedly support any moves to make it less socially acceptable though, especially amongst the young.
    I feel that by the time kids that try smoking really have a sense of mortalitly, and are mature enough to make the right decision about smoking, they are already hooked. I know I was, and giving up was bloody hard.
    Raise the age to buy them, increase the penalties for those who sell them to the under age, and continue to make them as uncool as possible.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

ohnohesback – Member
    It never fails to amaze me how many supposedly intellegent people think it is a good idea for the state to legislate as to what it deems acceptable for adults to ingest into their own bodies? What business of the state’s is it?

When “the state” pays for healthcare I think it’s reasonable it should make efforts to contain and reduce those costs. Of course, we could hypothecate tobacco tax and then use it to pay for private medical care, subsidise employers for time lost, pay for “smokers-only” ambulances etc

wrecker

If drugs were legal/regulated and their problems were treated as a medical rather than criminal issue they would quite probably still be alive.

I very much doubt that. They OD’d, and it’s highly likely they’d have done so if they’d have got their stuff from Boots instead of dodgy derek the yardie. IMHO the only way the’d still be alive is if they just couldn’t get the stuff at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘smoking, could it happen here.’ is closed to new replies.