Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • smokey bike sheds… have we done this?
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Any one else get annoyed with having to fight through 20 smokers and a massive black cloud of smoke to lock their bike up at work?

I assume I’m not alone as most of the offices I have worked at were obviously built with bike shelters then when the smoking ban came in they decided it was a good idea to be dual purpose…

Just to point out, I couldn’t care less if people smoke, just don’t like the fact I am forced to go into a confined space with them(holding my breath isn’t an option!)

tomhoward

I’m more pissed off that my bike is covered in ash at the end of the day (I arrive before/leave after the majority of smokers)

scotroutes

Do you offer them a few ciggies for making sure no one steals your bike?

tmb467
    Free Member

outdoor smoking laws…call Environmental Health if you have an issue

…it is necessary to understand the use of the terms “enclosed” and “substantially enclosed” for the purposes of designing smoking shelters and other such structures.

• “enclosed” premises have a ceiling or roof and, except for doors, windows and passageways, are wholly enclosed, either permanently or temporarily

• “substantially enclosed” premises have a ceiling or roof, but any openings in the walls have a total area which is less than half of the area of the walls, including other structures that serve
    the purpose of walls and constitute the perimeter of the premises

• when determining the area of an opening, no account can be taken of openings in which doors, windows or other fittings can be opened or shut

• a roof includes any fixed or moveable structure or device that is capable of covering all or part of the premises, and includes, for example, a retractable canvas awning

• for a smoking shelter to comply with the legislation, then the permanent openings must have a total area that is more than half the total area of walls that will enclose it

• you should also be aware that siting a smoking shelter too close to walls of adjacent buildings or fences could also have the effect of enclosing the structure to the point where it would become “substantially enclosed”

• you will therefore need to ensure that your proposed smoking shelter is not “substantially enclosed” before making a planning application

• applications for smoking shelters should include calculations to demonstrate that the structure would not be “substantially enclosed”

• the Council’s Environmental Health officer will be notified of all planning applications for smoking shelters and related features to ensure that they comply with the health legislation requirements

maccruiskeen

Just fart.

every time.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The bike shed at Furness General Hospital is the grimmest I’ve ever witnessed in this respect. Just outside the maternity ward, too. The fact that it’s frequented by betracksuited scrotes awaiting the arrival of prince jayden or jalaya chardonnay, wondering how they’re going to finance the requisite happy meals, whilst you chain up your pride and joy makes it doubly discomforting.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Just be grateful you have a bike shed.
    My commuter has to spend it’s days in the rain.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘smokey bike sheds… have we done this?’ is closed to new replies.