Smoked Mackerel fillets – inspire me

Home Forum Chat Forum Smoked Mackerel fillets – inspire me

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Smoked Mackerel fillets – inspire me
  • pondo

I like to flake them and add them to a salad – tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, lettuce, add some nuts and seeds and away you go. A favourite lunch, when I can be bothered. ๐Ÿ™‚

drlex

+1 on salad – Nigel Slater’s coleslaw.

Tend to mix with horseradish & mayo and have in a thick sarnie, maybe some rocket.

anonymouse

A horseradish and mustard heavy potato salad with added capers seems to be in order. Plus some leaves for the ladies.

anonymouse

Or make into a fishy rarebit.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Smoked mackerel, lemon & herb pรขtรฉ is an absolute doddle to make and is bloody lovely Bravissimo

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

this looked nice when I saw him make it on telly, not got round to trying it yet.

<edit> SNAP!

warton

Pate is nice

on salads is nice

on toast is nice

On their own is nice

I’m a fan ๐Ÿ™‚

brakes

put them in your egg mayonnaise and whack them in a butty.
    gnawsome.

Mackerel, orange and watercress salad is good, otherwise turn into mackerel pate. Both very easy.

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

Fishcakes.

Mashed spuds, chives, chillies, egg and the mackerel – 1/2hr in the oven – done and tasty. Serve with salad or green veg.

Hmmm…salad or pรขtรฉ…

Pรขtรฉ looks good but just wondering how I could incorporate that into a main meal this evening.

griptool

Put them in a warm salad (just heat the fish), with what ever is to hand
    Roasted Beetroot/Orange/Apples/Grapefruit/ Walnuts (any nuts) blue cheese

Toss them with something peppery (Watercress, rocket, beetroot leaves etc) add a nice dressing and enjoy

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Kedgeree?

More seriously, I likes em just in a simple salad.

Whooooaaaaa…

Late entry of fishcakes winning so far!!

brakes

how I could incorporate that into a main meal this evening

put it in your mouth?

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

put it in your mouth?

I’ll put something else in your mouth brakes. And it won’t be what you usually ask for. ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

You don’t need a main meal oh voluptuous one! Just a big pile of toast ๐Ÿ˜€

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

make a load of pate, a huge bowl of salad and use an entire french stick/ciabatta/loaf of your choice

upgrading from snack to main meal is just a case of quantity shirley?

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

As much as I love pringles, not sure 3 packs constitutes a main meal. (1 pack being snack sized, obvs)

Excellent point. Well made!!

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

depends tom, do you eat a meal to feel full or for nutrients and vitamins and all that shite?

3packs of pringles will certainly make you feel full,

possibly temporarily ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

3packs of pringles will certainly make you feel full,

possibly temporarily

But that contains all three of the major food groups – Sour Cream and Onion, Original and BBQ!

bikebouy

Toast
    Truffle spread
    Whole grain mustard
    Rapesead mayo.

Burp FTW ๐Ÿ˜€

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Good point. As my meal choices are based solely on how they taste, and if I want to eat them, I could subscribe to your theory. Only if there was an assortment of dips/accompanyments though.

There you are DD, pringles with mackerel pate!

You’re welcome.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

A full tube of BBQ, in one go, would be a tough ask. As would be a full one of prawn cocktail. Surely you meant salt and vinegar martin?

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Grill them, and put in a sandwich with creamed horseradish and beetroot.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

I’m not even sure that Salt and Vinegar was one of the original flavours. Nor Prawn Cocktail, for that matter, so they cannot be included.

Warm up on Original and Sour Cream and Onion, then take a short break before demolishing the BBQ while watching Cliffhanger. Easy Peasy.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I bow to your clearly superior knowledge on this subject martin. I’ll give that a go this evening. ๐Ÿ˜€

sharkbait

Turn them into pate….. bleedin lovely.

Is it lunchtime yet?

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Be careful. Reaching that level involved quite a bit of taper-training involving Doritos. ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Tangy cheese I presume?

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Batter. Deep Fry. Bap. Tartare Sauce.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Cool Original for a training run. And no dipping.

PS

Cook Mackerel, flake into Heinz Cream of Tomato soup. Serve with black pepper. Mmmmm. Just like ‘Sardine and Tomato Paste’ from school lunchboxes of yore.

arrpee

In a salad with grapefruit, avocado, chili and corriander.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I have never been able to comprehend why someone would eat avocado, except for a bet

Have a pack of these in the fridge that needs using. Embarrassingly, I’d bought them to go in a Kedgeree I made last night and bloody forgot to add them. I still haven’t figured out how I manage to specifically buy an ingredient for a dish I will be specifically cooking on a specific day and then forget to use it. ๐Ÿ˜•

Anyway, anybody else got a favourite use for them he or she would like to share?

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

In a salad with grapefruit, avocado, chili and corriander.

This sounds like one of those avant garde combinations that contestants on Masterchef make Michel Roux Jr sad with.

Haven’t you ever had guacamole binbins? ๐Ÿ˜•

Albanach

Have it with fennel, chopped apple, lettuce, tomato with a lemon and yoghurt dressing. To make it ‘manly’ add steak for surf and turf. Otherwise it’s pรขtรฉ – philly, lemon, mustard, horseradish and packet(s) of oatcakes.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

That’s that southern muck they have instead of mushy peas, isn’t it bravissimo?

Premier Icon keefmac
    Subscriber

stir into some freshly boiled pasta with a bit of grated garlic. no need for a seperate sauce just a bit of olive oil if too dry. lovely bit of scran ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

Goes really nicely in scrambled eggs too ๐Ÿ˜€

arrpee

I have never been able to comprehend why someone would eat avocado, except for a bet

You’re just doing it wrong.

This sounds like one of those avant garde combinations that contestants on Masterchef make Michel Roux Jr sad with.

Nah, it’s pretty pedestrian stuff really. Smoked fish goes well with sharp flavours, so the grapefruit’s ideal. The other components aren’t a kick in the arse off guacamole, so nothing off the wall there.

If it makes Michel sad, he can toss my salad.

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Smoked Mackerel fillets – inspire me’ is closed to new replies.