Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Smilies on the forum
  • 13thfloormonk

I probably missed this when the forum was upgraded, but what is the best way to display smilies in posts without just getting a blank square?

When typing on my phone I can use smilies from the phone keyboard and I think they display, but when I type from my laptop they never show up or show up thin and transparent instead of yellow e.g.

😉
    🙂
    🙁

Could we have a wee button in the format bar like we used to have?

Ta

perchypanther
    Free Member

You know that we can all see those smilies, right?

fasthaggis

:-p

scotroutes

Wink

Smile

Frown

mashr

Could we have a wee button in the format bar like we used to have?

Why on earth would they downgrade back to having more features? Silly

fasthaggis

Leer
    Grimace
    Boke

whitestone
    Free Member

I see the first one but not the other two.

The old text way 🙂 doesn’t work, the forum SW doesn’t parse them and convert them to the relevant smiley, you have to insert the smiley directly in the same way as on your phone. On Mac the smiley dialog is invoked by ctrl + cmd + spacebar, dunno what it is on Windows.

ton

;o)

wwaswas

I read the title as ‘similes’.

I was like Renton trying to pick a new bike working out if it was a good thread title to not.

RustySpanner

👙

13thfloormonk

:SMILE
    :LOL
    :WINK

Hmm… no Windows shortcut that I can find…

13thfloormonk

Bugger it, will just have to learn to write better posts so I don’t have to signpost what tone people should be reading them in!

whitestone
    Free Member

Apparently this is how you do it in Windows (v10), unable to confirm myself.

Right-click a blank area of the Windows Taskbar, then choose “Toolbars” > “Touch Keyboard“.
    Select the Touch Keyboard icon in the taskbar.
    Choose the smiley key, located toward the lower left portion of the keyboard.
    Select the Emoji to type it in a field.

mariner
    Free Member

👍 If you right click this window ✔ a tab opens with emoji at the top.🤞🤞
    Select then select emoji and return.✨✨✨
    But dont keep hitting return or it just repeats.
    I never knew this.😒🤔🎶🎉🎂👀🐱‍👓🐱‍🏍🐱‍👤
    Cant stop.😁

deadkenny
    Free Member

If some see the emoji (to give them the correct name) but some see squares or blank space, then it’s generally down to font support on the browser and/or OS.

Forum shortcuts where you put the text equivelant will convert to the relevant character, though some forums use their own icons for them. Emojis from your computer / phone get inserted as unicode characters but depends on the font support. If they’re very common ones they’re more likely to be covered by fonts in most browsers. Some rare ones maybe less so. They do tend to render differently on different OS though.

Anyway, Windows 10 shortcut…

Windows Key + ;

13thfloormonk

Or since I’m still on Windows 7, I’ve found a link to GetEmoji, let’s see if this works…

🐙

Tracey

I usually type it in on the computer and then go back to the phone to edit in photos and 🎃

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Smilies on the forum’ is closed to new replies.