Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Smelly kit – You ever just thrown it away?
  • sandwicheater

My Endura Gilet being the culprit.

Assaults the senses the second it’s donned. Lives in the cellar stair well but the smell is getting bolder and keeps making a break for the living room (so i’m told, my sence of smell it terrible).

Tried washing it in tech stuff, bio, non-bio but after one ride it’s back.

Anyone ever thrown a perfectly good bit of kit away?

Anything else worth trying?

kayak23

Smelly kit, smelly kit, it’s not your fault.

zilog6128

Halo sports wash?

NZCol

Yes. Wore a set of gear for 5.5 days in an expedition race. Finished, had shower, binned it. There was no way back for it. Have also binned a bike shirt which was foul, everytime it got hot I would feel sick, binned that.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Nappy San [?].

It will either dissolve it, or get rid of the smell.

50:50 in my experience. This is me tackling the armpit area which on a few base layers anded up getting a bit amonia-eee, other wiffs may need different stuff.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Halo liquid works for me on running gear that been left in a suitcase for a week in a plastic bag after use. Sainsburys stock it.

parkesie
    Free Member

Wash dry freeze.

bruneep

This

sandwicheater

😆 @kayak23 – I’m not taking it to the bloody vets!!

I’ll give those two things a whirl and both available and Sainsburys, ace.

Failing that, it’s off to the kit bag in the sky. Getting tired of standing down wind from the guys i ride with.

EDIT: Freezing makes sence, i’ll add that to the list.

wilburt
    Free Member

non bio, thats your problem. There are times the planet just needs to take a hit. Nuke it with full strength powder and a dash of detergent.

rosscore
    Free Member

No.. it’s my smelly kit, hard earned and anyway there’s this magic basket in the bathroom, it goes in there and comes back all clean and folded, just appears and it’s my duty to make it smelly again..

surfer
    Free Member

I have had Helly Hansens for over 15 years until about a year ago, when washed they look perfect but when warm stunk, in spite of me not really being a smelly person even when I have been running and sweating etc for hours. Had to bin them in the end, 15 years from a top I wore loads is good value 🙂

aP
    Free Member

Wash it then hang it on the line outside. The UV kills the bacteria.

Jakester
    Free Member

I have tended to either chuck stuff that mings into the machine with detergent and a slug of antibacterial spray (take the trigger off the bottle, slosh in as appropriate) or spray directly onto offending item before putting in the wash. Tends to keep it under control.

chakaping
    Free Member

Soak in Milton?

sandwicheater

The offending item rarely gets washed so has had a chance to fester and develop into the character it is today.

I’ll be trying all of the above in a weeks smell purge.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Soak it in vinegar, wash it hot, hang it in the sunshine as above

Yak

+1 for nappysan. If it can shift shit from baby clothes, then it can deal with a bit of exercise stink.

hels
    Free Member

I am going to go all radical and suggest that you eat better. Smelly sweaters generally do so because of a) some underlying medical condition, so I apologise if that is you or b) you don’t eat enough fruit and vegetables or drink enough water. Try it for a few weeks and see if you pong quite so badly. Ask your partner.

DezB
    Free Member

The only thing I have that ever smells is an Endura Humvee jersey. I’ve thought about binning it, cos all my other kit smells sweet as.

hels
    Free Member

For the record, my sweat smells like a meadow on a summer morning.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I should really throw some out. I have a couple of running tops, that stink the instant you put them on. They are about 8 years old though… Keep meaning to bin them and buy some more.

sandwicheater

Makes note to somehow smell hels.

selkirkbear
    Free Member

Use Sports Wash. Mrs SB used to work in a gym and her clothes smelled fine when washed up to the point that she put them on. Started washing her, and my, gear in Anti-Bac Laundry Detergent that is supplied to nursing homes and it was fine after that.

aracer
    Free Member

Started washing her, and my, gear in Anti-Bac Laundry Detergent

Did you also put her in the washing machine or was it a hand wash?

selkirkbear
    Free Member

Did you also put her in the washing machine or was it a hand wash?

I’ve been tempted…..

nickc

Wash it then hang it on the line outside. The UV kills the bacteria.

Is the correct answer

nixie

Sod tech wash, its expensive.

Soak in Milton?

This (or cheap own brand baby sterilising tablets). I do all my tops quite frequently. Lob a few in the sink with a couple of tablets and leave for half and hour, then wash (sports cycle with normal clothes liquid).

Not found a top that can’t be saved yet!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

If has some really stinky Evoc knee pads, washed them in the shower the first time, stink still there but significantly reduced. Washed them second time, and then liberally applied that anti bacterial hand gel – worked a treat! You can’t machine wash those Evoc pads :((

trail_rat
    Free Member

No but someone stole my dirty washing bag out my car at my old house after a race.

I wore 1 set of kit for the whole strathpuffer- peeled it off , put it in the carrier bag and chucked it in the boot. Hadn’t decided what to do with it then someone stole it…..how gutted were they ! -that was all the got from the car haha

mlbaker
    Free Member

Smelly kits gets promoted to cleaning/greasing rags.

I think I’ll give the more fruit/veg/water thing a try. I’d heard that a high meat diet makes you smell more

boblo
    Free Member

P’raps do like smelly trainers; stick in the freezer overnight at -20°C. No more niff.

globalti
    Free Member

Cool temperature washes are the reason for smelly kit; it’s got to exceed 60c to kill bacteria. Sunlight is a good alternative. Synthetic textiles do hold odour molecules more readily than natural.

DrJ

Binned a running shirt I was wearing when eating a take-away. Even after a dozen washes it still stank of curry.

spooky_b329

As globalti suggests, when it startings getting whiffy I just start upping the wash temperature and/or use biological powder, don’t seem to have ruined anything yet. Cycling kit goes on a 30 degree wash otherwise.

footflaps

Halo Sports wash does work better than standard Persil / Arial biological esp at low temp washes e.g. 40C. My wife swears by it for her sports bras.

godihatehills
    Free Member
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Smelly kit – You ever just thrown it away?’ is closed to new replies.