Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Smelling of "outside".
  • chorlton
    Free Member

I’ve often been told after coming home from walking, running or riding that I smell of the outside or sometimes the cold. Anyone else?
    What is it and can it be bottled?
    I reckon I could make a couple of quid. 🙂

cfinnimore
    Free Member

If there’s pine needle essence out there, i’m in.

Eau D’Loam.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I love my morning commute,

Eau D’milking

Used to live on a farm so brings back happy memories. Not sure I’d want to bottle the smell of grass and warm milk, but it’s a nice smell!

brakes
    Free Member

the smell is stronger if there’s a breeze outside.
    you smell of wind.

chorlton
    Free Member

you smell of wind.

Won’t be the first time. 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I know the outdoor smell. Nice.
    Very clean, crisp smell. Like washing that’s been outside in the wind.

scaredypants

probably shit on yer shoes

globalti
    Free Member

I know this very well, I think it’s because when you come in from outdoors you bring an eddy of fresh air behind you loaded with ozone and the smells of grass and trees. Some cold fresh air will also be trapped in your clothing.

Many years ago I realised that rain has a smell; I was doing some, er, bouldering in the Llanberis slate quarries when a storm approached from the summit of Snowdon, across the valley. Suddenly on the wind I smelled rain, quite distinctive and clear. A revelation.

I work for a perfume manufacturer and the holy grails of the industry are the smell of fresh air, the smell of a new car and the smells of baking and freshly-ground coffee. Sadly all are so complex that they can’t be reproduced accurately with synthetic raw materials.

scaredypants

Suddenly on the wind I smelled rain, quite distinctive and clear. A revelation

petrichor. Supposedly most pronounced after a nice long dry spell. Wonder if we’ll ever see one of those again 😐

Coyote
    Free Member

Like washing that’s been outside in the wind.

There is no finer smell.

petrichor*

Oh yes, there is.

*actually the smell that *follows* rain after a dry spell

nealglover
    Free Member

wallop

I sometimes smell of sunshine, it’s nice.

Sometimes I smell of beef hula hoops, too.

Cheezpleez

To be honest I’m usually somewhere between an overripe Camembert and boiled cabbage

lehutch
    Free Member

I believe that the smell of the outside is in fact ozone

matt_outandabout

*breaks wind*
    Sorry. 😳

hairyscary

My car smells of 4 years of the outside….it’s not very pleasant.

teasel
    Free Member

Petrichor is the smell of the oils and resins released by your local flora ( in short), so I guess it would vary slightly depending on where you’re located. The ‘outside’, as mentioned above, seems to be known as ozone, but Watermelon Ketone (methylbenzodioxepinone) is a very good synthetic version and has been used in many products for some time – the earthy, musk-like base to something like Brut or Acqua Di Gio or similar perfumes.

Aromas are an excellent thing to get into – amazing how easily a smell can trigger a memory.

Cheezpleez

Come to think of it, I’m often asked to go outside because of the way I smell

globalti
    Free Member

That’s interesting; I’ve never heard the word petrichor. The rain I smelled was the fresh ozonic smell of the actual water, not the earthy smell that you get when it hits dry ground.

Watermelon ketone is the popular name for Calone 1951, which is the major ingredient in perfumes like Cool Water and Aqua di Gio as Teasel writes above. Cool Water was a ground-breaking perfume in the way it used hitherto functional raw materials as the main note and it spawned a whole new family of aquatic florals.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Smelling of "outside".’ is closed to new replies.