Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Smartphone without camera search
  • Marge
    Free Member

I’ve currently got an HP IPAQ 600 smartphone, as at the time, it was the only one I or my colleagues could find without a camera.

Based on our experiences it’s a piece of junk hence I’m looking for an alternative. Anyone on here seen or know of a suitable smartphone?

It has to be without camera for job confidentiality reasons….

mieszko
    Free Member

Does it have to be a recent one? Nokia E61 had no camera (E61i had a 2mp one and a metal case). It’s fairly cheap now but still a good phone with full qwerty keyboard and large screen. It has 3G and wifi. I had the e61i and very happy with the phone.

Some internet research shows that in USA You can buy a Blackberry without a camera in ATT Premier Store. So that might be an option.

It’s hard to get a new phone without any camera as almost always there will be at least the most basic rubbish one fitted.

Rich
    Free Member

If you’re really struggling to find a decent one, you could maybe break the camera, or colour the lens in black marker.

GrahamS

+

?

JoeBones
    Free Member

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I think the above two remedies are ideal. There is no such thing because who except you would buy one?

mogrim

Why do you need a smartphone? If it’s for email, how about an iPad (currently camera free) and a cheapo candybar Nokia?

Marge
    Free Member

Unfortunately customer rules are clear about not having cameras & that includes tape / stickers.
    Claiming / showing the camera is damaged is also ineffective because the security staff are not usually technology friendly.

Smartphone is needed for email on the go. I have laptop & GSM(without camera) but the functionality of a smartphone is exceedingly useful.

I am surprised more people don’t have confidentiality issues in their jobs. (I work in the car industry by the way)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Marge, does that mean you get searched regularly? If you wanted to take sneaky photos I would have thought a smart phone was the least of your firm’s concerns.

molgrips
    Free Member

They said NO CAMERAS on this project, then everyone protested because everyone’s current phone had a camera. So they had to revoke that rule. And it’s a fairly secure project too.. in theory.

Marge
    Free Member

I don’t get searched but I need to use my phone whilst on customer property hence the presence or absence of camera is quite obvious.

For sure I could smuggle a camera in through many different ways 😮

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I need to use my phone whilst on customer property hence the presence or absence of camera is quite obvious.

er, no, but I’ll take your word for it. There are lots of us in many different fields of work where we need to use our phone on customer property. Can you give us some clues what all the secrecy is about? I won’t tell anyone 8)

jon1973
    Free Member

It has to be without camera for job confidentiality reasons….

Do you work in a Lap Dancing club?

thomthumb
    Free Member

blackberry used to for this exact reason. don’t know if it is still true though.

Marge
    Free Member

I need to use my phone whilst on customer property hence the presence or absence of camera is quite obvious.

er, no, but I’ll take your word for it. There are lots of us in many different fields of work where we need to use our phone on customer property. Can you give us some clues what all the secrecy is about? I won’t tell anyone

If I’m standing in front of my customer using the phone do you think they wouldn’t notice the presence of a camera in it? (or perhaps I misunderstood your point).
    It’s a rule from more than one of my customers. I’m not a position to challenge their conditions.

It’s nothing amazing what I do but I see prototype cars a lot & the manufacturers are sensitive about pictures of pre-production vehicles getting out.

I’m sorry if it seems a odd need – I only asked if there was some advice from smartphone users in similar situation.

-m-
    Free Member

Marge, does that mean you get searched regularly? If you wanted to take sneaky photos I would have thought a smart phone was the least of your firm’s concerns.

I’ve worked at a few places where employees are (or could) be checked or searched for phones, cameras and other prohibited items. Typically at these sites it’s information that’s perceived as the risk rather than visual elements as seems to be the situation for Marge. It takes a bit of getting used to for new employees, but they are normally provided with facilities to leave their belongings outside of secure areas.

HTC Touch 2 & HTC Snap are listed as being available without camera on a CNET review, but not sure if this is just limited to Asia – worth a snoop around though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Smartphone without camera search’ is closed to new replies.