Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Smart wifi light switch wiring
  • J273
    Free Member

Ive just bought some replacement wifi lights switches for integration with smarthings.

Ive just gone to fit one in my living room which is a double switch. I have 2 red a 1 black and earth to the backbox and metal switch cover.

The smart switch tells me to put fire wire to L and being a 2 gang connect L1 and L3 which I have done but it don’t seem to work. Can anyone tell me what I doing wrong and how to connect this up?

Many thanks

Cougar

Looking at that I’d guess that the middle red wire there is L as if feeds both switches, and the other red and black are Lx. But it’s a guess, you cannot trust home wiring by colour.

colp

See that bottom red in your pictures, that looks like the switched live going back from the switch to the bulb

Edit

Yep, as above

Top red is live coming in to switch, it gets shared to the second switch

J273
    Free Member

Thanks guys, That does make sense. Ill try that tomorrow.

mattbee

Looking at the pictures of the switch and the ‘instructions’ that looks like a Smartlife switch?
    If so it could be the switch itself that’s faulty. I had 2 in a row that just didn’t work, gave up on them in the end and went for Hue bulbs instead. (More expensive as there are 8 GU10 bulbs in that room but actually works!)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Daft point but, do you not need a capacitor across the bulb with that as you’ve no neutral?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

There are ways around it riddoch but they’re a bit heath Robinson

J273
    Free Member

These switches don’t need a neutral wire. I know when I looked before it wasn’t possible because they need a neutral but these newer switches don’t need one.

@mattbee
    Yeah these are smartlife switches but I have a few of them I’ve bought and the two I tried didn’t work as at first i thought the switch maybe faulty. I’ll try the way above and if not I’ll send them back

nickdavies

Assuming youve wired it up the right way (looks like youve got a line, switched live to the light and another switched live to another switch or light) are your bulbs dimmable?

I thought with these modern led’s if you dont have specifically dimmable bulbs the non neutral switches wouldnt work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Smart wifi light switch wiring’ is closed to new replies.