Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Smart watch with built in HRM and Strava
  • weeksy

I was wondering what’s the best in this modern technology? I get on bike, arse about with phone etc, do ride and it uploads. But my HR doesn’t and in honesty I don’t want to use a HR strap on outdoor rides.

I’d like a simple watch that does both HR and ride info. Don’t need any GPX or map info etc.

weeksy

Will that upload direct to Strava or do I have to go through the Hell that is Garmin connect?

guandax
    Free Member

Garmin wins hands-down. I’d go for Vivoactive 3. Garmin Connect isn’t a problem with my Vivoactive HR (which is also excellent,)

k1100t
    Free Member

I’ve got a Garmin HR strap and use it with my phone via the Ant+ USB dongle that came with it, and an USB OTG cable. The only issue is that the USB OTG cable sticks out of the back of the phone quite a bit, so doesn’t fit into a small plastic bag for going inside a rear zipped pocket of a roadie jersey. Going inside a hydration pack, etc, is fine though.

As long as you’ve got Strava Premium, then the HR data gets uploaded with your ride, once you’ve configured the strap as a sensor in the app.

weeksy

It’s a faff though isn’t it, upload to GC, then extract the box, then import into Strava. I’d just like to end ride, press a button and see it do it all itself.

weeksy

As long as you’ve got Strava Premium, then the HR data gets uploaded with your ride, once you’ve configured the strap as a sensor in the app.

Ah, now that I did not know. Interesting

guandax
    Free Member

GC uploads to Strava automatically.

weeksy

Hmmm never used to. Thank you. May open up a few more choices then.

hols2
    Free Member

I have a Garmin Vivoactive with GPS and heartrate monitor. It connects to my Android phone via bluetooth. I’m not a big fan of Garmin Connect, but you can things up so that Strava will automatically import your ride. Basically, by the time you’ve taken off your helmet and gloves, your ride is ready to view on Strava.

Edit. However, if you want a proper smartwatch, an Apple Watch is probably much better. The Garmin will show email and text message notifications, but you don’t have a huge ecosystem of apps like Apple does.

weeksy

Apple is a no. I don’t have or use any Apple technology.

guandax
    Free Member

Had an Apple Watch. Battery life drove me nuts. Wear my Garmin 24×7 and charge in the car weekly on my 30 min commute.

ahsat

I’ve just switched from a Vivoactive 1 to a Fenix 5 and nearly bought a Vivoactive 3. Sometimes you have to just open Garmin Connect to remind stuff to sync, but like everyone has said, normally by the time you’ve taken your shoes and helmet off its on Strava if you select it to auto upload. Depending on budget look at either the VA3, Forerunners or Fenix (though the latter has more functions than you probably want). I’m very impressed with the updated tech.

jeffl

I’ve got a TomTom sport and like it.

justridemtb
    Free Member

Sent PM weeksy

funkmasterp

Garmin all the way. I bought a used Vivoactive from somebody off here and it’s great. Brilliant battery life, Garmin connect works fine and auto uploads to Strava no problem. Don’t understand the love for Apple Watch, the battery life is horrendous.

dissonance

Hmmm never used to.

Has done for several years. You have to do a one time set up but beyond that you can pretty much forget about it.

Wrist HRM can be unreliable when mountain biking though. Movement of the arm seems able to throw it out.

docgeoffyjones

Wrist HRM can be unreliable when mountain biking though. Movement of the arm seems able to throw it out.

I have a vivoactive HR which is good as i use it for running, swimming and cycling. the HR monitor is not great for MTB so i tend to use a strap. Looking at DC Rainmaker this seems to be the case for most watches.

It uploads easily through Garmin connect on my phone which then sends to strava (you have to set this up in your options)

nixie

You do not need strava premium for HRM to upload. My Tom Tom watch, direct from phone and zwift all load HRM data without strava premium.

You get more analysis with premium but the raw data uploads and is visible on free.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, I have to do the strap up on my Fenix 5 so tight it’s at the point of cutting my bloody supply off to get a decent reading. But that’s generally on rough stuff when racing. I’m more interested in when on a big race i’m not pushing too hard on the liasons, which it’s fine for.

Anything super active is seems to struggle with, it can’t record a game of squash properly at all, so I resort to the strap for that, which is fine. The wrist is accurate enough for me when riding 95% of the time too.

If you don’t want the tech of a Fenx, the Forerunners are good watches, and feel a lot less cheap than the Vivoactive variants.

davy-g
    Free Member

have a shufty at the Amazfit Pace or the new Amazfit Stratos….they both work with Strava….

https://us.amazfit.com/

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

If you want auto upload to Strava then don’t go for the more expensive 235 forerunner when the 35 will do the same.

Unless you want GPS and glonoss, which the 235 has over the 35.

As others have mentioned though wrist based HRM can be sketchy.

Del

i’ve had no issues with my HR monitor other than one false peak on one ride since january  riding 2-3 times week. mine’s a forerunner 935, one of the larger ones ( same features as the fenix 5 but smaller/lighter ), so maybe it has better stability on your wrist? i don’t wear it particularly tight either. i’ve been pleased with it.

moonsaballoon

Had a 235 for a couple of months now and it’s been fine , connects to Strava easily. Does steps and sleep tracking which I didn’t think I would look at but I do .

Only thing I’ve noticed is it seems I can knock the buttons whilst riding , haven’t lost a ride yet as I’ve always noticed it st the point where it’s asking me to confirm something such as sleep mode .

cb200
    Free Member

Hopefully this is still on topic and may help with the OP:

I’m currently deciding between Garmin Vivoactive 3 and Suunto Spartan Sport (wrist HR)

Any recommendations either way?

lunge

I’ve got a Garmin Forerunner 35 and it does exactly what you want. You need to set Strava up through Garmin Conmect but once you have it uploads automatically. I will agree with others though that a wrist based HRM is not as accurate as a chest strap for bumpy riding. It’ll give you a guide but I’d not want to analyse it in any detail.

Splash-man
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Fitbit Versa. That has got Strava built in but I’ve not used it yet.

Might be worth taking a look .

mc2
    Free Member

Fitbit Ionic for me. It has Strava app and GPS so means I don’t need to have my phone with me.

dskelly81
    Free Member

I can vouch for the Vivoactive 3.  Absolutely brilliant watch!  You can tailor the info screen during a ride to display up to 4 different parameters that you prefer to see.  Automatically uploads to strava as soon as you sync to your phone after a ride.  Its a great looking round faced watch & a decent size compared to some of Garmins previous grandfather clock offerings

Tiger6791

Garmin 235

On wrist, does HR, uploads direct to Strava (when connected to phone via Bluetooth)

mulv1976
    Free Member

Hauwei smartwatch 2 has Strava as an app and also measures hr etc. Plus it displays texts, emails etc. Seems accurate too compared to my phone app. You can get WiFi only or sim version

Edit: on offer at the moment too http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7593228

I really like mine as you can store music on it and use Bluetooth headphones. Battery can take a hammering tho when using gps regularly

mulv1976
    Free Member

Twice I’ve tried to edit my post now and add more info?! Does it actually work?

Was trying to say that the hauwei seems to be on offer at the moment too: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7593228

Also that I’ve found mine very good so far and that you can also store music on it and connect Bluetooth headphones – great when running so you don’t have to carry your phone

Edit: what’s going on – none of my edits were showing before, now I’ve posted twice! GAH!!

rone

I had the mio slice which is ant+ to your Garmin so it’s all the data was there.

I’d read the mio slice was way more accurate than other wrist devices but I got some erratic results I concluded. And I got a rash after lots of use.

Seem to be on offer at tredz.

CraigW
    Free Member

Seems a heart rate monitor on the upper arm may be more accurate than on the wrist. Worth a look if you don’t want a chest strap.

eg Scosche Rhythm 24, or Wahoo Tickr Fit. These can transmit Ant+ and Bluetooth LE, so you can connect it to a Garmin or a phone etc.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

I have the new Garmin Vivosport which can do all of that. It’s a standard ‘fitness band’ kind of size so it’s not obtrusive, has built in GPS and HRM and with the Garmin Connect app it can be set to automatically upload your runs/cycles straight to Strava with no additional input once the activity is complete.

weeksy

Thanks for all the thoughts. Still not sure what way I’ll go, but it’s nice to say thank you.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Smart watch with built in HRM and Strava’ is closed to new replies.