• This topic has 28 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Smart trainer for Zwift
  • donkeydave

Hi following on from my recent post it looks like I am going to be on the look out for a smart trainer that Zwift or sufferfest can control, I have a power meter,heart rate sensor and cadence sensor.

What is a decent and not thousands of pounds option?

Thanks yet again this place is ace.

muppet4
    Free Member

My experience stay away from the Tacx Flux, I had 3 changed under warranty so sold the 4th which was the new S model, can’t say on that though. I did like direct drive aspect. I would be looking at a Wahoo next time.

TiRed

If you have a power meter already, then it comes down to whether you want to feel the change in resistance with Zwift profile changes. If not, any cheap trainer will work fine. If you do, and I think it makes a difference, a cheap wheel on smart trainer will also be fine. I prefer the direct drive models, having both and rollers too.

Value is Elite, quality is new KICKR Core and overkill is new KICKR. The Tacx models are probably a bit more technologically advanced but seem more prone to reliability issues.

If you bought the new KICKR Core for 700 and hated it, you’d easily resell it at for 500. That 200 loss is about what you’d pay for the cheapest wheel on smart trainer, which you’d not be using either 😉

Edit. Best review is always from Ray

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/trainer-buyers-recommendations-guide.html

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I bought a Tacx Flux and I’m having connection issues.

I do wonder whether I’d be better off with a normal trainer and speed/cadence thing anyway.

Surely if the resistance increases you just change gear until you’re feeling the same resistance at the pedals but the wheels turning slower? Is it just to make it seem more interactive?

jonba
    Free Member

I bought this in 2017. Was very simple to use and I’ve had no issues.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flow-t2240-smart-turbo-trainer?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Turbo+Trainers-_-Trainers-_-212818&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=atqpqlpqw&istBid=tztl&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:868641114|agid:42483203943|tid:aud-297219198169:pla-329276419854|crid:203186067057|nw:g|rnd:11731660702917727134|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:1006948&gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_iwl0VAbfZabphMuUcpJf3Rq1A04zAqjfS1TnHB2iRyHnBPyTnrgkWhoCqPIQAvD_BwE

10% off if you are BC as well.

Does what I need. Smart, power meter. Limited perhaps by the max watts. I think it tops out at 800 which is a problem if you are really focussed on sprint work. I’ve not had an isue with general zwifting because of it.

I think it over reads. Not a massive problem 😉 as FTP watts/kg etc. for me is just a training aid. I’m not riding off the front of any races in Zwift but I can hold my own better than my real world ranking would suggest.

bigyim
    Free Member

I bought a second hand wahoo kickr and it’s a brilliant piece of kit

kid.a
    Free Member

I just recently bought a used Elite Direto from a mate, who’d bought it new and did not like indoors riding at all. Previous to this, I used my 4iiii power meter and a dumb mag trainer.

Got to say, the direct drive smart trainer makes the whole Zwift experience so much more fun and engaging. I’m getting a little bit hooked on it. Happy with my purchase.

akira

I’ve got a Bkool smart pro 2, pretty impressive for the money.

codybrennan
    Free Member

My 2240 has been going strong for 2 years now, no problems.

Does anyone actually know how it measures cadence? I can’t recall seeing any kind of detector.

fossy

Tacx T2240 for 3 years no issues – that’s the best of the budget ones, sub £200. Got mine from Halfords with 20% off and an additional 10% British Cycling ! Keep an eye on sales.

TiRed

Surely if the resistance increases you just change gear until you’re feeling the same resistance at the pedals but the wheels turning slower? Is it just to make it seem more interactive?

Correct. They also offer erg mode to ride with constant power. But then rollers do the same.

ianpv
    Free Member

I broke a flux and a flow, now on a cycleops magnus which is ok so far and holds power way better than the flow in erg mode. On sale cheap now at lots of places including halfords- for the the price it seems ok.

I used to use a kurt road machine + power meter, and to be honest I should have stuck with it. Much better feel on the bike than the smart trainers I’ve used.

hooja
    Free Member

+1 for Tacx flow 2240… faultless so far and seems to work very well with zwift
    There’s a company on eBay selling reconditioned ones at £120 delivered (second hand frame, brand new power bit, whatever that bits called) bargain!!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TACX-RECONDITIONED-CAT-B-T2240-FLOW-SMART-TRAINER-SRP-264-99-/223326334148

GHill

My 2240 has been going strong for 2 years now, no problems.

Does anyone actually know how it measures cadence?

It guesses. Very badly IME (mine was suggesting about 30% faster than what I get from a cadence sensor).

mos

I’ve got a wahoo kickr & cant fault it really. If i were buying again i may be tempted by the kickr core.

Alex

I bought a Tacx 2240 last year after injuring myself running(!) and so couldn’t MTB for a bit. It worked fine with Zwift. Doesn’t do silly inclines but that just makes them a bit easier.

I now have a Flux S which I acquired 2nd hand. Direct drive is definitely a ‘better’ experience but you’re still inside a shed sweating 😉 I found ERG mode really strange to start with (I’m doing one of the Zwift 12 week workouts) especially with the cadence being a big laggy, but I’m used to it now. Mine Flux has – touch wood – been reliable in terms of connection and hasn’t eaten itself like early models.

Wouldn’t pay £700 for one tho! Sold my 2240 for £130 which seems way better value than a new direct drive…

fossy

I have the Garmin cadence unit with my Tacx 2240 as it was on the bike anyway. They all work well, but remember, all trainers are different, folk cheat (yep) so use it as a training medium. You’ll ride hard, get dropped etc etc.

jobless
    Free Member

I have a Kickr CORE on sufferfest. I find it has lifted my performances as well as motivates me to go in the garage to ‘suffer’. Thing is, on non-smart trainers you can always ‘soft pedal’ if it gets hard. On this, no. Get on and there is no ‘out’. Makes a huge difference. I am nearly always ‘a little bit sick in my mouth’ which i am taking as a good sign.

WRT the Kickr CORE. it has all the power I can muster, it feels solid and is fast to set up and get going. I would buy another tomorrow. But i doubt i need 2.

codybrennan
    Free Member

GHill
    It guesses. Very badly IME (mine was suggesting about 30% faster than what I get from a cadence sensor).

Sounded right, but for curiousity I asked Tacx hpw its specifically done- they said:

“The trainer is constantly aware of your speed and uses this to define your cycling movement. The speed is zero at the top of the pedal stroke and it is maximal in between. Therefore, the trainer knows when you have made a full circle and uses this to define your cadence.”

Just for interest.

TiRed

I would buy another tomorrow

I bought a reconditioned KICKR 2016 model, for the same price as the new CORE. If buying again, I’d buy the CORE. It has the same flywheel and runs quiet, and is compatible with the CLIMB. I may still run mine with the CLIMB as I use a dedicated 10 speed Giant Defy bike for the trainer – I had to supply the casette anyway, so no loss. And I had the cadence sensor already for the rollers.

jimdubleyou

But i doubt i need 2.

Just have it delivered to my place 🙂

lustyd
    Free Member

There are Facebook groups for each make of trainer. Join those BEFORE buying anything. The Wahoo group is full of very annoyed people, due to low quality trainers which are anything but quiet or accurate. I had one for two weeks and it was the most disappointing product I’ve ever owned (Kickr Core). It sounded like a jet engine when on a wooden floor due to vibration because the flywheel wasn’t balanced. It also read 30 watts under on average which pushed me needlessly hard and ruined a few workouts. I swapped that for a Neo 2 and couldn’t be happier. The Neo groups on FB are full of happy customers with a few queries and the very occasional complaint.

Whichever one you go for look at the Facebook group first!

tonyf1
    Free Member

I bought a Tacx Bushido in 2016 and it’s been faultless. I did try the Vortex first but the maximum resistance meant I had to go into a harder gear to simulate slopes correctly which killed the experience (my weight is 90kgs).

Wiggle and CRC have them at a bargain price right now.

donkeydave

Hi all thank you so much for the thoughts and suggestions, I keep looking at the tacx t2240 especially the reconditioned ones on ebay but cannot help but wonder if it would not be enough, have also been looking at the interactive elite rollers thought this might help with the boredom.
    I am thinking i just prefer to be outside!
    Thanks again

Kryton57

On balance I have a Halfords Tacx Flux and other than being squeaky from cold for 5 mins and a little noisy it’s been fine.

mogrim

FWIW I’ve got a BKool, it’s not as quiet as a direct drive turbo but it’s hardly noisy and a lot cheaper.

bigwatts
    Free Member

Stay well away from the t2240 they are pants I tried two. Mine struggled for connection, the outer casing rubbed the flywheel inside, the wheel slipped, it wouldn’t hold a constant power, it halved my cadence reading, it lagged between power changes to the point that short hard intervals were pointless in erg mode and didn’t have enough resistance for properly hard intervals. If I hadn’t tried other turbos it may of been enough to put me off turbo training. I gave it to a mate who found it ok to start with but has since thrown it away and bought a flux. Have a google for reviews they are generally bad from anyone who actually uses regularly.
    I would stay well away from wheel on trainers all together. There are ok ones but they are all rubbish in comparison to even a budget direct drive.
    I would buy a flux from your local halfords and if you have any problems get them to sort it. I have tried many turbos from different brands over the last few months and the neo is by far the best followed by the flux for nearly half the price. I know a few people who have them and no problems yet. Buying from a local halfords means it will be be easy to sort if there is a problem.

Alex

acx Flux and other than being squeaky from cold for 5 mins

My Flux S does this. Colder it is, worse it gets. I was going to report it to Tacx but since it stops after 5-10 mins and it doesn’t feel like the belt is binding I haven’t got round to it. Now I know it’s not just me, I’ll not bother 😉

On the above – I bought the non ’S’ Flux from Halfords, it was a return and I hadn’t notice.d They swapped it out no problem as I wanted a new one and I got the ’S’ model.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Smart trainer for Zwift’ is closed to new replies.